Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis Chalmers backhoe

Phil ยท 2009-10-18 05:27

Anyone out there own one? They are scarce as hen's teeth up here. Once in a while I see one for sale and was wondering about parts availability for the drive train. The later model wasn't a bad looking machine. Phil

Replies21
  1. #1Bob_S2009-12-09 18:29

    Phil, I have one....

  2. #2Phil2009-12-09 19:45

    Yes that's just like the one I was looking at. It was in excellent condition, except for a slight miss in the engine, and sold for $7500 just before I got there. Not many out there. Phil

  3. #3Bob_S2009-12-09 21:00

    Allis Chalmers 715B I'm hoping to hear from someone with experience with these hoes. Mine runs and operates fine... but I'm learning. The list of stuff I've done so far includes: 4 cylinders rebuilt (2 loader tilt & 2 boom swing), rebuild alternator, 1 Hose replaced, w/s wiper repaired, battery box repaired, 7 lights replaced (turn signals/4 ways and brake light switches repaired), oil change, fuel filters, air filter, reverser trans oil & filter change, too many grease fittings/passages cleaned. I'm in the process of refurbishing the return to dig system.

  4. #4tuney4432009-12-10 19:06

    My first hoe was an AC I600.I hated that rig with a passion.It would break down every other job.Running that loader though got me very prpficient at grading.

  5. #5drptop70ss2009-12-23 17:18

    I have an AC 816 backhoe, cant remember the year but think it is around 1979 vintage. Has worked great for me over the years but just recently seemed sluggish on takeoff. I just joined up to try and find out what kind of oil is in the trans, I suspect the level may be low..not sure if it uses hydro oil or a dextron type. Machine has a 4 speed gearbox on the floor and shuttle shift for forward/reverse.

  6. #6Bob_S2009-12-23 20:22

    Reverser Oil My 715B manual calls for Dexron. I drained the sump and converter, as well as changed the spin on filter. For level check, the book says to warm it up, move the selector from fwd to reverse and shut down. Immediately check the level. Kind of an unusual procedure... but guess that's the process.

  7. #7drptop70ss2009-12-25 12:38

    thanks, anyone else out there have an 816?.

  8. #8carogator2009-12-25 14:48

    Take a look on E-Bay. there are some god deals on Hoes there. even one or two A/C's

  9. #9srcooper2010-01-02 18:06

    Anybody have a 615 I think I still have a service manual from when I had one 20 years ago.

  10. #10Brandon12010-01-18 21:32

    I have a 615 Front End Loader year 1979.

  11. #11mikeberry2010-01-19 20:18

    I started out in a 918 wayyy back when lol what a beast that was 18 ' tall with boom all the way up

  12. #12duramax-rob2010-04-23 21:12

    Hey all. I have an allis chalmers 816 backhoe and seems to be a pretty good machine. It has a few problems but I'm hoping to get them fixed. I have all the manuals but I'm not someone that can diagnose what's wrong, but can usually fix it once I find out what is wrong. Right now I'm trying to figure out what wrong with the swing on the hoe, its slow and no power. I'm thinking the hydrolic pump is worn out since it is a dual pump, the lower volume side. Any suggestions?

  13. #13FarmerJoeVt2015-05-18 21:38

    Allis Chalmers 715B Hey, I just purchased one myself and was wondering if you could share anything you have learned about yours. I just replaced the camshaft pulley, changed the oil and filter, replaced the fuel filters, and fired her up and now she will not go in forward or reverse. Any ideas? Thanks Farmer Joe

  14. #14Bob_S2015-05-19 09:17

    Could be lots of things. The clutch pedal just controls a valve that dumps hydraulic pressure so the reverser trans can't engage. I'd start looking there. Then the reverser trans... A simple automatic transmission with a planetary gearset and clutch to reverse the input going to the manual transmission.... Next the transmission, a 4 speed manual gearbox with no reverse. After that, a driveshaft & rear end. If you step through it, you should be able to pinpoint the problem... Just don't jump to conclusions, it could be something simple! Hope this helps, Bob

  15. #15Delmer2015-05-19 12:34

    The fluid level in the reverser is the first place to look if it's been sitting.

  16. #16duramax-rob2015-05-19 13:54

    thats excellent advice bob. the other thing to check the screen in the reverser drain, i suppose you did when you did when fluid change. also did it move on its own when you bought it? check the linkage to make sure its hooked up and gear transmission isn't in neutral. the rear end and brakes are 5 ton military. cheeper than else ware. hope this helps. most of the parts for it was outsourcer from other companies.

  17. #17FordL80002015-05-19 21:17

    I had a allis chalmers 816 backhoe back in the day...the machine was garbage. Cost me a fortune

  18. #18duramax-rob2015-05-20 15:22

    have you ever thought that you were too rough with the machine? some people don't know anything other than WFO and lets see how fast it get done no matter what.

  19. #19davo7272015-05-20 15:46

    I wonder what happened to Phil.

  20. #20FarmerJoeVt2015-06-08 18:44

    Hey Bob, Update: I was able to use her in the fall just fine before getting a flat tire. Replaced the tire, oil & fuel filters, and bad pulley. It ran fine before I ran her out of fuel again (epic failure). Bled the lines and started her up again. Drove her around for about 20 minutes and as soon as I put her under load, it chugged out and died. When I tried to restart it there was a terrible sound coming from the starter, which I just replaced. Now she will start fine, however will not drive forward or reverse. I've lifted it off the ground completely with the stabilizers and the front bucket and still nothing. We had this problem once before and a friend literally reached down and pulled up on the floating lever next to the seat and it engaged the wheels and ran fine. This is something I have attempted numerous times now, with out success. Anyone have any ideas? Keep in mind I am not a motorhead in the slightest (respectfully). Thank you in advance. Very respectfully, Joe

  21. #21FarmerJoeVt2015-06-16 20:28

    I am hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what is going on with my AC 715 Backhoe. I recently ran her out of gas and when I restarted her after bleeding the lines the starter went and needed to replaced. While waiting for it to come in the mail, I replaced all the filters (oil & fuel), did a oil change, and put some atf fluid in what I believe is the dip stick on the left side of the tractor for the transmission since it was low. When the starter arrived, I installed it and it started up. However it now does not want to go forward or reverse, when it was previously working fine. I had this happen once before and a buddy of mine jump in the cab and pulled up on the differential handle and then it worked. I have repeated this too many time to count without success. I have also put links before to show you what is going on via a couple youtube videos I created for you to see first hand. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. https://youtu.be/tKQHVm5iqRE https://youtu.be/mljDW8ihbXE Very respectfully, Joe