I have a H3 dozer and have gear oil leaking out of the plug at the bottom of the final drive casting. This part is identified in my parts manual as a plug w/ cotter key. Is this a drain for water acculmalation ? Should there be oil above this plug ? Any info, Thanks !
Yair . . . Scott Carr . Don't take me wrong but are you sure you are looking at the final-drive? . . . I would imagine the drain for the final drive would almost drip oil on the track. If it is the final it won't be there to drain water accumulation and there certainly should be lots of oil above it. Now on the other hand if it is inboard a little it could well be a plug to allow moisture/oil to drain from the steering clutch compartment. As always pictures would help. I have no first hand knowledge of your tractor an my comment above is just a first thought . . . I am sure there are folks here who will comment more knowledgably. Cheers.
Scott I have a H-3 as well. The final drive housing has NO drain plug in it. To drain the oil out of it you must drop the pan (item 31, on page 164 of your manual). As Scrub Puller has said inboard a bit is the steering/brake housing which DOES have a large drain plug so you must be talking about item 32 in your parts book. This plug is in fact a bung/cap off a 45 gallon drum! If you have oil in this housing then you have a seal gone as there should be NO oil in there. Water on the other hand has been known to get in there thru the top cover. I was told by an oldtimer that they very often left this plug out so that whatever got in there would drain out right away. A few years ago I went to look at another H-3 & the seat was off & so I removed one of the top cover plates on the steering/brake housing, it was FULL, RIGHT TO THE TOP! with an ugly mixture of oil & water... This same old timer also told me that he has seen this same housing PURPOSELY filled right to the top with OIL! He said you have to use the right brake band & clutch disc mat'l & ended up with a wet clutch & brake conversion! I have NOT done this to mine as I am currently doing the seals which separate the two housings that we are talking about. 61BG
Scott I also should say if there's not alot of oil in there I would just keep running it, just drain it out. You just dont know the last time the drain plugs were removed so it could be oil that has accumulated over the course of 20+ years! I should have just left mine as I found maybe 1/2 qt of oil in there & figured that I needed to change the seals right away! The guy I bought mine off said that he never removed those plugs & he had the Allis for 25+ years. As long as the oil doesn't get up to the steering clutches & brake bands. Just make sure the oil level is kept topped up in the Final drive cases. PS. my parts book is dated Jan 66 & is form #D-57, so maybe the page numbers I quoted might not match yours but the item numbers should be right. 61BG
Thanks guys !! The plug I'm talking about is inboard on that housing. I've been talking to others on the net and phone about it. I re-filled the right side final gear and nothing has been leaking yet. I'm going to get underneath and check out that plug. I agree this may be a seal leaking but could have taken years to accumulate, so I will be checking the final drive plug a lot more often. The steering clutches & brakes still work, not the greatest but do work. I did talk with one guy and he said some owners have filled the clutch cavity with oil converting them to "wet" , they say it makes them last longer. I will keep them the same as they are. Thanks.
612bg, I am considering a pair of old AC crawlers and want to start by researching the model and serial #s...can you tell me where those are located so I can tell the seller pls? Thank you !