I have a 1976 AC 940 loader. Last year the right rear planetary when completely bad. I replaced all 3 planetary gears and the sun gear. I cleaned the axle housing best I could and planned to drain the oil a 2nd time after some use to remove any more metal filings I missed. I removed both planetary hubs today and everything looks good but when using the machine I can "feel" a slight resistance or kind of a grinding when turning a tight corner. The only thing I didn't check last year was if the axle shaft had bent when the planetary bound up. How can I see if the axle is bent? Also, when I rebuilt everything I found out that only 1 of the rear tires has liquid inside for weight. Could this be causing a problem now or later besides the loss of traction? Thanks for any input.
I am not familiar with the Allis 940 but on every planetary I have ever been into the axle which is floating has easily pulled out after removing the planetary cover. Unlikely to be bent unless the axle walked out of the housing if the bearing retainer nut came off. I would check all tires for size and the same air pressure first. Juice in one could make it track different than an air filled match.
A slight resistance or grinding when turning tight would make me suspect something in the differential, or driveshafts that are at the limit of their "flexibility". Unless the planetary bearings weren't set right, I don't see how the planetary would show symptoms like that. What does it do if you steer tight, but not at the limit?
thanks for replying. The tires are all the same size, tire pressure and about the same wear 40% tread left. I don't know if the front tires have air in them or not. I am going to get the "empty" tire filled with liquid when I can. Don't know if the local shops can do it. Small town. I try to make a lot of gradual turns when plowing snow(mostly all I use it for). I start to notice a little resistance when I am turned about halfway and it doesn't get a lot worse as I turn tighter, its just something I notice. I haven't run a loader a lot and maybe what I am feeling is normal. I am going to pull the differential as part of my cleaning to remove and lingering metal filings. I will look it all over again. Thanks again for your help.
Does it have locked differentials? Do both wheels spin on either end? That would give you a bit of what would feel like gear bind like when turning a pickup in 4 wheel drive.
Its probably just you over analyzing.. Run it till she blows then you'll have no problems finding the issue..
No this loader doesn't have a differential lock and I am about ready to believe I am just over analyzing. But I did pull the differential out and the ring and pinion gears are chewed up just a little bit. I am thinking that some of the metal pieces from the planetary blow up last year damaged the ring and pinion some. for now I am just going to run it and worry about it if it gets a lot worse. I am going to get liquid in the empty tire so they will be balanced. thanks for all the imput