Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Altec top swap

TVA · 2021-12-17 15:55

Swapping Altec AM855 for AA755 Customers idea - not mine. The original slew ring have half of the teeth gone and boom broken, the top bolt pattern is different from the one trying to install. The problem is the parts people trying to sell me brand new slewing ring, but with tapped top/inner holes. And I already have tapped holes in the turntable! I don’t think you can tighten two pieces that have threads in them together tight. But it is my first time doing the swap on these things, usually I deal with pumps, valves solenoids and motors on them. What will you guys say?!

Replies18
  1. #1BigWrench552021-12-17 16:45

    My only advice would be to run and never look back. This is one of those jobs that once you get started. You are married to it! I know nothing of what you are working on, but it sounds as if you are trying to make two different models or serial number breaks to work together. And having been a part of a few of those kinds of projects. I say run!!!

  2. #2TVA2021-12-17 16:56

    Thanks for advice.

  3. #3Delmer2021-12-17 17:41

    Is the base bad on the other one? why not swap the whole lift if he doesn't want to use the truck with the good one? I don't think this is going to be the hardest part of this swap of matching up different units. At least check the mounting for the two lifts to see if they're different. I have a smaller one that I've removed a couple time, four bolts and some wiring, you try to forget about that when you're up in the air.

  4. #4DMiller2021-12-17 17:46

    CANNOT get that machine to EVER pass a Service Safety Certification inspection after doing what is requested, are built to a Specification and if changed HAS to be Recertified and good luck getting that from ALTEC as they are THE only ones that can. Worked as a wrench on a Utility's machines, NOTHING Not OEM ever could go on these machines and NOTHING Not specified in the parts guide to that serial number was allowed unless changed by ALTEC. This is within the ANSI guides.

  5. #5TVA2021-12-17 18:14

    The machine works inside the luxury yacht shipyard, mostly de masting sail boat. It is not for hire or going out on the road, it doesn’t even have a license plate. They hit that boom twice. First time the broke the upper boom, and fixed it with fiberglass ( luxury yacht shipyard, remember!), and added about 1/4 thick stainless steel jacket around the brake. It worked good for years. But then they hit it again. This time the slew gear missing 12 teeth on it. So he bought 3 used beams. Two is AA755MH and one AA600. 600 has too much damages to hydraulic parts and crushed buckets. And is more difficult to make work as rotary manifold upside down and t it is non LS pump control. MS855 and SS755 is almost identical on hydraulic design, rotary manifold the same and same set up. It’s just one is over center and the other is not. And this slewing gear mount is different. 855 bolt holes all around, and it is plain hole through the turntable and threaded in the ring 755 has two sets of holes on front and back with two brakes on the sides, and threaded holes are in the turntable. The “parts people” are Utility Machines. It’s just what they sent me for documents to confirm fitness. And they swear that that’s the right part for serial number. And here is what I found. So basically Altec give permission to drill those holes through and enlarge them to 1 1/2”. I am not, and never was Altec tech, and I don’t know if it is usual procedure.

  6. #6TVA2021-12-17 18:17

    No chassis is in very good condition. Very nice F750 with 3126 and Allison.

  7. #7TVA2021-12-17 18:38

    It is not will be recertified, it is for inside use and hands down best piece of aerial platform in that place , besides being damaged.

  8. #8DMiller2021-12-17 19:09

    Cannot regardless for insurance reasons ever put a human in the man basket if it is ever modified, insurers dream as have to pay Nothing. Sadly this is not a good choice but I too agree, tell them NO as it places you in liability with the owners IF you perform this work.

  9. #9TVA2021-12-17 19:37

    The thing is - nothing is modified. I am pretty sure if you will check the part numbers of original AM855 and the AA755 that is going in, the ones that stAy on the truck - most of them will have same numbers. And if the factory authorized dealer swears by everything dear to him that it is right part number for that serial, plus there’s provision on the official manufacturers document for drilling through and enlarging the holes - I guess that’s how it is done. I’ll wait for Altec people who are here chime in on that. Owner actually tries to do a “tight” thing by replacing twice damaged boom for intact but used one. Although I have to constantly stop him from acting on his crazy ideas, like welding used slewing ring to the piedestal. If insurance or OSHA ever come to that place - the will have a “field year” and lots of shamefull fun on his expense!!!

  10. #10TVA2021-12-17 19:54

    Sorry! I misread your comments. There’s no other base. He bought three of those ( two AA755 and one AA600) somewhere taken off. Still have buckets on them, which is strange! Because they usually cut the buckets off. Although looks like 600 was dropped because bucket is crushed and the whole rats nest of hoses and lines inside the turntable is bashed in.

  11. #11BigWrench552021-12-17 20:05

    I would get in touch with altec manufacturer personally and explain to them what you are wanting to do. I believe these are made here in grapevine, TX. That parts counter guy will **** on your leg and tell you that it's raining. So long as it makes a sell. This has way too many redflags to take the word of a parts guy. I would want the manufacturer to sign of on any modification and detailed written instructions and documentation on how to perform such work. I don't know what you charging, but it certainly isn't enough for me to take on a risk like that. Although I am discouraging you from doing this. I am also wanting you to succeed. Good luck to you and I will be getting the popcorn ready.

  12. #12TVA2021-12-17 20:09

    That’s actually a good idea, and that’s what I was thinking to do Monday. Second and third opinion never hurts. I’m not looking forward to monkey around with mag drill, drilling 18 holes after paying well over $2000 for a part that supposed to bolt straight on!

  13. #13DMiller2021-12-17 21:10

    That is the modification part.

  14. #14TVA2021-12-18 10:14

    Update: got an email this morning. They found right part. It took three different Altec reps. To find out that there’s two different slewing rings assigned to this serial number. For some reason.

  15. #15TVA2022-01-14 13:14

    I just realized that I left this thread “hanging”! I walked away from the job. Things got way too crazy!

  16. #16DMiller2022-01-14 19:57

    Good for you, mods are TOO far out there for sensible.

  17. #17skyking12022-01-14 20:38

    That's a happy ending. luxury yacht people can afford to do things right.

  18. #18skyking12022-01-14 20:49

    No seriously, it is people like that that try to squeeze every dime and take short cuts and brag about all the money they saved. If I continue I will start dropping expletives about it and mess up the filter here