We are looking at buying a new truck this year and we just had the fuel jump to 1.19 per litre (around 4.50/gal). We had a 30% jump in fuel cost from last fall. We are starting to feel the high oil prices here. I am interested in finding out if anyone has had any experience with any of the alternative fuels or electric when it comes to semi's. I would like to be ahead of the curve. Currently the increased fuel price could make as much as a $30,000 increased cost of running our equipment this year.
Well, there's biodiesel, but it probably won't save you much money, if any. I run the stuff, but mostly just because of customer feedback. Another reason to run is is the new ULSD fuel (low sulphur) has relatively low lubricity and is hard on mechanical injection pumps. It is designed basically for the newer common rail engines to the detriment of older engines I would add at least SOME biodiesel anyhow, just to make my junk last longer. Biodiesel has super high lubricity. Compared to other addatives at $4 per pint, $4 per gallon is a pretty good deal for a lubricity addative.
Are their any electic or hybrid semi trucks available on the market?
Kenworth is making Hybrids. I do not know what class though. I think it is their lighter models. I also think that Hino (Toyota) is making Hybrids too!
I'm not a trucker, but I do keep up with the industry a little bit and what I've seen is more generators used in place of the engine while parking over nite. To me if a hybrid were used it would restrict the amount you could haul due to the amount of weight in batteries and equipment to gather the excess energy needed for the hybrid effect. I know these truck manufactures have something in there engineering labs they have been testing but I believe they are just loafing around waiting for the demand to become greater for more surprise profit IMHO. Good luck with the new truck because I reckon it could be a hard decision in these uncertain times:Banghead
you could process your own biodiesel..kinda time consuming,but if your personal time isnt money,?????
Just buy a truck a make sure that you get payed for the fuel ! let's face it there is no real alternative & not really in the future. These hybrids a being tested by Gov. agencies & power co.'s & also give grants & subsidies to pay for them, they cost $50,000.00 more then regular trucks!