Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Alternator Identification

stratcat · 2024-12-21 19:00

Hello all and Merry Christmas! First time poster here. Trying to identify an alternator off of a 1993 International 4700LP DT360HT that served as a county ambulance. The only numbers I can find are not readable. External regulator is a Leece Neville. Have scoured pics of their alternators but nothing is matching up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies33
  1. #1Coaldust2024-12-21 20:10

    That’s a 7000 series. could be 85, 105, 130, or 160 amp. You could probably narrow it down to the exact model. But why? I would upgrade it to something better and less expensive, such as a Leece Neville 110-555PH0 . We call them “ triple nickels” .

  2. #2Coaldust2024-12-21 20:16

    Welcome to the HEF, BTW. My name is Coaldust. I fix trucks and raise rabbits for money. For hobbies, I drink to excess and spend my money on lot lizards and Onlyfan girls. I’m helping a young lady get through college. She wants to be a nurse and help sick kids. I think She is realy into to me. What do you think?

  3. #3Junkyard2024-12-21 20:46

    Dude I’m dying over here! Hahahaha

  4. #4Coaldust2024-12-21 20:59

    My goodness. It’s the shortest day of the year, up here at the 51. I swear, officially, we supposedly have 5 hours of daylight, but it doesn’t seem like that. I don’t feel like doing anything but keep the wood stove stoked, hang out with the pups and **** post on the HEF. I hope my HEF bros have a good Christmas and finish up year end on a positive note.

  5. #5reganj2024-12-21 21:06

    If you can not fix it with a hammer, It is an electrical problem.

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-12-21 21:29

    That has never stopped any on here. ---------------------------or instead of that alaskan triple nickle hang a Delco SI on it more common. But it all depends on whether it's a J-Mount or Pad Mount.

  7. #7Coaldust2024-12-21 21:32

    I didn’t want to complicate things for the new guy. But, yes. Love me a Delco. I hope he comes back. StratCat from New Mexico seems like a cool guy.

  8. #8Shimmy12024-12-21 22:00

    I swear, if I look back, you probably posted almost the exact same words a year ago. You're not an AI chatbot, are you??

  9. #9Coaldust2024-12-21 22:06

    lol. Yeah. It’s the same old rhymes and tall tales from the North. Just one year older.

  10. #10Shimmy12024-12-21 22:14

    How about a lurker posting for the first time in nine years, and his last post was on our new shop thread I started in 2015? The last guy to post on the homeade brush mower thread.

  11. #11Vetech632024-12-22 07:54

    This sometimes leads me to a ban LOL

  12. #12stratcat2024-12-22 09:05

    Much thanks for the info and interesting welcome, Coaldust! Alternator is still functioning well, just trying to figure out what all I'm dealing with here. Been a motorcycle/atv/auto tech for 40yrs and this is my first experience with a beast such as this. I'm finding it's not so easy to find info online as it is for autos and such. Dealing with a parasitic draw at present, 166ma. This rig is also equipped with a Telma retarder, which I'm not excited about and will not be utilizing. Anyone need one? Pretty sure my parasitic draw is regulator related. When I disconnect regulator from this monster heat sink? the draw goes away. I assume this device was installed specifically for the Telma system? Thanks again!

  13. #13DDoug2024-12-22 09:19

    What do I tink ? I tink you've been sampling from your tankers....

  14. #14Truck Shop2024-12-22 10:02

    You may not need it---but those driveline brakes/retarders do work well. This would be a perfect fit for anyone with a single dump, like WillieB.

  15. #15terex herder2024-12-22 13:22

    Tell the ER Doc you have methanol poisoning and they give you medical ethanol to flush the methanol out. Anything that has been upfitted for an ambulance is a scrap shoot for parts.

  16. #16Coaldust2024-12-22 14:56

    The meth just isn’t doing it for me, the way it used to. I’m into acid now. I recently took a trip to the other side of the state. And, I’ll tell you what I saw……. The Carboline Plasite 4301 HT coating is beginning to fail inside this 5,300 gallon ISO. Not familiar with this particular product or how to repair it. It was a trip, nonetheless. Then, it started to snow and the trip back to home base took longer than I expected.

  17. #17Coaldust2024-12-22 15:04

    Probably a leaky diode somewhere. You could fix it. LN service information is readily available, high quality and those are easy units to disassemble and assemble. Parts may be an issue.

  18. #18mekanik2024-12-22 17:00

    Where do the three heavy wires that connect to the three cross bar conductors come from? That looks like a pair of diode banks. If it is a rewind shop should be able to supply diodes if one is failing.

  19. #19stratcat2024-12-22 17:42

    Are you talking about the alternator? This is externally regulated. Regulator on firewall. Initially had charging issue and tediously disassembled regulator and found crispy zener diode. Replaced and fixed charging issue but suspect another diode causing draw since you've mentioned this. Found inexpensive NOS regulator and is on the way. Doing an RV conversion and trying to spare all expense for solar and all other accessories. Trying to work with what I've got, otherwise I would go ahead and upgrade alternator.

  20. #20Coaldust2024-12-22 17:55

    Certainly could be a rectifier diode.

  21. #21stratcat2024-12-22 17:55

    Bottom cable to top center post of alternator 2nd from bottom to left neg post alternator 3rd from bottom to right pos post alternator Top left cable to junction block in cab Top right cable to chassis ground From junction block in cab under dash back out to starter main post. Also, another cable from junction block out to Telma relay box mounted to frame near Telma retarder. I really don't care to have all this contraption to maintain and deal with. I read these things require major current and produce a lot of heat. I'm just gonna ramble around like an old turtle. Don't need extra braking. Still wondering what the purpose of this component is? Reminds me of the old zener diodes used on classic motorcycles.

  22. #22stratcat2024-12-22 17:59

    Here's a throwback for ya, Coaldust. My dad, Elvis, was a steel hauling teamster back in the day.

  23. #23stratcat2024-12-22 18:19

    So the big aluminum finned component is a rectifier, then? Converts ac to dc? Is this required because of the high output alternator for the Telma? Sorry, this is all uncharted waters for me.The large components are throwing me. Hard on the knuckles too!! Sure appreciate all the input.

  24. #24mekanik2024-12-22 18:23

    It appears those two heat sinks are for the diode trios instead of having them inside the alternator. There should be six rectifier diodes in there. Most multi meters have a Diode/continuity test setting. The individual diodes should be replaceble.

  25. #25mekanik2024-12-22 18:24

    Yes they convert the AC from the alternator to DC.

  26. #26stratcat2024-12-22 18:29

    Gotcha. From the front side it looks like the components are sealed in epoxy. Are the diodes normally accessible from the backside? Am familiar with checking diodes.

  27. #27mekanik2024-12-22 18:40

    If its epoxy filled you may not be able to replace them. I'm speculating that they look something like this: The stud at the bottom would attach the diode to the heat sink.

  28. #28Truck Shop2024-12-22 20:44

    Holy Cow--holding out on us----That's a nice photo of A West Coast International. Looks to be a Truck Trailer brand or Aeroliner sleeper by the style of hinges, not a Merc. *

  29. #29Truck Shop2024-12-22 20:51

    And yes those Telma retarders create heat, sometimes allot of heat depending on how long it's activated. I've seen that diode tree before in response vehicles, IIRC simply for the fact of all the lights and accessories. How many amps is the alternator that's in it?

  30. #30stratcat2024-12-22 20:56

    Ya'll would know better than me. Was 3 years old in this pic. Taken in Indiana where I hail from. Dad had to give up driving after his appendix burst when I was 11. Too much coffee and Pall Malls. WW2 vet workaholic. Too tough to die from appendix bursting but never fully recovered. Managed to get 20 years in for pension, though. Had to fight them for it, of course.

  31. #31stratcat2024-12-22 21:06

    Not exactly sure yet. Coaldust filled me in that it's a 7000 series. That's about all I know. Definitely a high output for the Telma.

  32. #32Truck Shop2024-12-22 21:07

    That Coaster was a Big Strap in it's day with 5 hole aluminum steers, two large bus lights on each side and three small center plus the chrome strap and chrome top hat on the air cleaner. The long hood IH model RD405's were great to drive in those days because the driver sat way back from steer axle, one of the smoothest in those years.

  33. #33stratcat2024-12-22 21:23

    I know he was proud of it. He snuck me in the sleeper a couple of times on short trips. I was too young to remember much about it. I do remember ogling the handful of light switches on passengers side dash and wanting to flip them up and down. He had an old gas powered White before this one. Called it the Mayflower. He replaced the gas plant with a big diesel. Said he would pull the newer rigs up inclines with flames blowing out the stacks. Pissed the other guys off. But he also said it was a scary death trap when it came to handling and was glad to retire it.