Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ami the only one who waxes??

emmett518 · 2022-08-18 19:10

Considering how much money I spent on my 310L backhoe, I’ve been waxing the exterior of my hoe. I use liquid wax, and find that it keeps the paint shiny and bright, and the cylinder pistons clean. Am I the only person who does this? I don’t own a sports car that I polish. I own a backhoe.

Replies12
  1. #1Mike L2022-08-18 19:33

    I’m guessing you are one in a million

  2. #2CM19952022-08-18 19:42

    X2 and we take care of our equipment.

  3. #3Acoals2022-08-18 20:47

    I don't know, our stuff runs every day, I guess we would only run two or three days a week if we had to keep them waxed ...

  4. #4heymccall2022-08-18 21:24

    My mind went straight to the gutter after reading the thread title. And it just wasn't pretty.

  5. #5John C.2022-08-19 11:03

    Most of the crane outfits around here made the oiler wax the visible parts of the house and truck body. I'm not sure that happens anymore.

  6. #6colson042022-08-19 17:38

    We used to regularly wash and wax our tractors and combine after planting and harvest. Anymore, they just get power washed, greased, and put away.

  7. #7uptight excavating2022-08-19 22:28

    I don't wax either. Oh you mean equipment. Not that as well!

  8. #8JLarson2022-08-20 00:03

    I've been using that wash/wax on the trucks. Usually have to wash at least the bodies with degreaser to get the grease paw prints off then use the wash/wax on the second round.

  9. #9crane operator2022-08-20 08:32

    No oilers here to wax the cranes. There are still "oilers" on the big crawler cranes on union sites. I've got a guy with me on my 100 ton, but in rental, we are so busy going from site to site, that we don't have the time like a crawler guy does on a jobsite. We are too busy moving. If you don't have enough to do with the equipment that you have time to wax it, you don't have enough work to do.

  10. #10emmett5182022-08-21 02:12

    Well, I’m not running an excavation business. I use my hoe on my rescue farm, and real estate business, so time demands aren’t as strict. I just hate to see an expensive piece of equipment looking like crap.

  11. #11colson042022-08-21 07:42

    I can certainly appreciate that. I've waxed a combine a few times. There is a lot of square footage of panels to cover on a machine that size, but there is some serious satisfaction at watching it shimmer in the sun as you get ready to put it away.

  12. #12512high2022-09-08 07:16

    We have a small CAT 908M, bought used 3 years ago. We use only for snow removal , sits in the shop etc,waxed 4 times per years, washed after every event and dried.....yup OCD!