Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reusing zip ties

Muffler Bearing ยท 2022-08-19 11:21

We can't get any big zip ties, all out of stock. So I keep cutting old ones and trying to reuse them if they're long enough. I'm pretty sure this is how the Mad Max world gets started

Replies20
  1. #11693TA2022-08-19 11:51

    All new Simplicity mowers are shipped with several large zip ties and I slip a utility blade under the locking tab releasing the lock and pull it free. These are about 7/16" wide and 36", and 48" long and black, so I reutilize them often. No sense purchasing them when supplied free for minimal effort.

  2. #2donkey doctor2022-08-19 12:02

    I use a small o-ring pick to release the tab. Too expensive to just discard. d.d.

  3. #3Muffler Bearing2022-08-19 12:57

    well, I'm gonna work on picking the tab! thanks guys!

  4. #4Jonas3022022-08-19 13:23

    The shop next door had mentioned they were getting zip ties from uline https://www.uline.com/Grp_65/Cable-Ties-and-Tools?keywords=zip+tie&SearchKeyword=zip ties The first shop I worked in I used a zip tie to hold something up out of the way probably temporarily the old dutchman went ballistic spending money on that tie when bailing wire would work.... seemed silly but I haven't forgot it either

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-08-19 14:03

    Ever see how copper wire is made? It's two Dutchman fighting over a penny.

  6. #6JLarson2022-08-20 00:01

    I think ty-raps are the only thing we haven't had problems getting here. The big ones are real easy to pop with a pick or pocket screwdriver.

  7. #7DDoug2022-08-20 09:02

    Did the cheap boss figure in the labor savings ? Time is money.

  8. #8crane operator2022-08-20 09:24

    Hey- now your getting personal. My feelings are so hurt- I'm going to find one of my cans of bent nails and spend my morning straightening them.

  9. #9ianjoub2022-08-20 10:10

    My local Home Depot has about 40 different results for zip ties in stock. A/C supply houses will have the fat long ones in stock for flexible duct work.

  10. #101693TA2022-08-20 10:40

    I'm hurt too. Not only was I planning to resharpen my dull thumbtacks and reglue misapplied desk staples, I'm planning to buff my scratched and dull pennys returning their former luster before returning them to circulation. Wife says I'm so tight I squeak when walking too.....

  11. #11Tyler d4c2022-08-20 10:47

    A guy at the cat shop I worked at was said to be so cheep he could carry a bread Crum in his crack all day and not lose it. I have no idea who or how that one came about

  12. #12ianjoub2022-08-20 12:16

    I got called out by a mod for 'racist' comments that weren't racist in my opinion. I guess this will pass though as it is about white Europeans. Don't get me wrong, I am not offended. I thought your comment was humorous.

  13. #131693TA2022-08-20 12:22

    The burning question is: Could he grind that bread crumb to flour? The world wonders.....

  14. #14Truck Shop2022-08-20 14:18

    It's the problem with the term {politically correct}. I mean no harm, every group in society has traits/tendency's, it's all part of life. A person would be hard pressed to find a Irishman that would pass up a Guinness at room temp. It's part of their culture/life.

  15. #15Volvomad2022-08-20 20:37

    Where convenient i snip them under the lock and re use them on a smaller bunch of hoses

  16. #16Volvomad2022-08-20 20:39

    Doesnt have to be Guinness. Amy alchahol will do a paddy

  17. #1756wrench2022-08-21 10:15

    ya, me too especially the big ones. I never want to be without any and its not worth a trip to town if you run short

  18. #18Zewnten2022-08-24 21:45

    Where about in colorado are you? Napa had them in stock, the commercial store on federal just north of hampden. If you want them shipped I think we got them from imperial (grainger?)

  19. #19Truck Shop2022-08-24 22:01

    This thread is laughable. I have been installing 108 GPS trackers on our refer trailers. Each tracker comes with all hardware to install. I will have about 2500 1/4 x 14" black cable ties left over when I'm done.

  20. #20crane operator2022-08-24 23:18

    You better hold onto them. You'll be a king in the great zip tie shortage of 2023.