We are a small family logging operation and do mostly ground based logging with a JD Loader and TJ Skidder. We also have a Koller 501 yarder that we stand up when needed to do steeper ground. My question is how many outfits are using the Amsteel Blue rope for rigging lift trees and intermediate supports? I have read some of the information on the web put out by Oregon State Univ. on its use in logging operations, but wanted to hear from those that are currently using it. This looks like a very nice alternative to conventional steel guy lines and straps, especially with a small rigging crew. Thank you.
dyneema rope Hi partimelogger This side of the pond in the uk there are some guys using this dyneema rope,and there seems to be very good reports from some applications. i have heard of one guy local to me who is using it on his cat 525b skidder,its light as a feather and strong enough for the cat winch. Our uk forestry magazine carried a article on using it in skyline application like you are thinking about,i have added a link to the article which is now on line.hope this is of some use for you. sliperytimberjay http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/newsitefiles/2013/0313Web/A82.p
Many years ago we experimented with kevlar rope. We used it both for guyline extensions 1 1/2 inch X 150ft and strawline or haywire as you call it in the US. 7/16" X 250ft. We normally used 1 1/4 wire rope for guylines and 3/8 for strawline. It was strong enough to do the job, light and easy to pack a 150ft guyline extension. What I recall was we had difficulty with splicing it as well it did not take any amount of abrasion. If it got siwashed on a stump and abraided we had no way of knowing the integrity of the rope. As far as splicing, after you put a splice in it you could literally shake it out again it is so slippery. Knots reduce too much of the line stength strength. I would say as long as it's used for static rigging like guylines and watched carefully to avoid abraision, I would use it. Where the guyline extensions worked the best was prerigging a landing where one guy could throw the extensions in the pickup and head over to the next rigup and put out the extensions. When the yarder moved in it was simple to shackle onto the extensions and raise the pipe. Let us know
I am a yachtie and we use synthetic ropes for most load bearing applications on our boats. Their are many different ways to splice this stuff and you can do splices that never move. I have thought a bit about using it in logging and if I was to do it I would use rope with an over braid. I have read of guys trying synthetic rope for strawline as it is light enough to fly a length out with a model helicopter.