Hi All, I know I have limited options for a thumb on my 96 416B cat extendahoe because of the inner tube sliding out as apposed to the outer tube slide out. Does anyone have any experience with either the AMI full hydro install of the INSIDE EXTENDIBLE DIPPER STICK HYDRAULIC THUMB (this was copied from their website.) Or the mechanical amulet Hoe clamp that they would like to share with me? I am looking for opinions. Biased or not, does not matter to me. Obviously the mechanical thumb is much cheaper but is it practically useful? Or because it can only function in a limited orientation(meaning tied to the pins on the bucket) not so much? I am trying to understand if it is worth it to spend the dough to get the Hydraulics upgraded and the added costs involved for a machine that has 8-K hours on it (albeit easy hours) I would like to use it for moving trees, big rounds, and loading my wood mill (next investment after this). Thanks in advance! Chris
I watched the AMI video and I am quite impressed with it. It is very versatile and is not in the way when digging with the bucket. It looks heavy. It would prolly eliminate the ability to clamp anything between the dipper and boom to carry anything. Tree stumps and heavy brush come to mind in that situation. It isn't a problem with a mechanical thumb. I have used both a hydraulic and a mechanical thumb on a TLB. The mechanical one is cheap but quite unhandy to use. If it isn't folded into the stow position it is impossible to extend the boom and get the bucket to dig because the thumb will be pointing straight down and contacting the ground, preventing the bucket from digging. I will never install a mechanical thumb again. The only downfall for the AMI thumb is a price tag of about $4000.00 uninstalled. Even at that price, It appears to be worth it on an extend-a-hoe.
Thanks for looking Tinkerer! This Amulet mech thumb did look better than the stationary ones that I had seen. which is why I was kind of excited... Was your reply based on that "hoeclamp"? I only ask because it actually opened and closed? And the number that had been floated around my circles was closer to 5-K uninstalled....maybe I need to contact them direct, to make sure I have the best number. and then figure what else will be required- meaning additional valves and plumbing as well as welding. Thanks Again!
I cannot comment on the AMI, but I can tell you I love my amulet! here is a thread I posted. HeavyEquipmentForums
That was a great writeup Swetz, I am still digging into it...Pun intended, I have to check my bucket to see if I run interference- have you had any issues with how you had to cut away a little piece of it for the claw....Going back to study a bit more! Thanks again!
No problem where I trimmed the bucket for the thumb.
I found that price from an internet search. It was from a dealer that sold them.
I would love that dealer name....I just got something like 7.5-K before the install
THanks Again Tinkerer!
Equipment land is also where I purchased the Amulet thumb.
I have a mechanical thumb and have found it more than handy after getting use to it. I don't have an extendable dipper though. I leave my thumb set in the 90 degree setting. What I found was to keep it in the maximum usefulness I just have to adjust my tractor position to the dig. I set my tractor to where the bucket is near straight down to the center of the dig with the bucket extended all the way out. This has my thumb at 90 degrees to the ground and mostly out of the way of digging. I have dug so many stumps I lost count and haven't set the thumb to the stow position in a couple years at least. This is not to say there are not times a hydraulic version wouldn't be better. I still may convert it someday but I'm 80 percent done with my stump digging with it as is. While considering your options you should read Tinkerer's thread on his use of a manual selector valve. HeavyEquipmentForums I found a generic version of the valve he used at Surplus Center for $49 plus shipping. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...Gresen-DS-12-Double-Selector-Valve-9-2435.axd
Thank you Swetz!
Thank for the info NH575E, I will be looking into both of these!
Unfortunately $3999 is not the case its just a hook.... a far cry from 4-K more like a price gouging 7-K LBTH1214HEH2T AMI Thumb for Extendahoe Cat 416B 28 weeks $6990 Inside Extendible Dipper Install Kit $1350 Hydraulic Install Kit Less Hose & Fittings (only required if machine is not equipped with auxiliary hydraulics) Free shipping. 20% down, balance to ship.
I hate sucker ads ! It shouldn't be tooo hard to fabricate one, if you or someone you know has the skills. I mean not the thumb itself but the mount for it on the extendahoe. It would be interesting to see what that hydraulic install kit contains.
Not as good as a hydraulic thumb but the hoeclamp is stout and I love it. Cost me $3k plus shipping. I attached the brochure that they sent me.
There isn't any reason I know of that a hydraulic thumb cannot be mounted on the tube of an extendahoe. It wouldn't be quite as versatile as one on the extension. That wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I had one.