Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Angle Iron On Top Of Sides

busdrivernine ยท 2007-10-22 23:40

Anybody evr put a piece of angle iron on top of the sides of their dump bed ?this would I think keep dirt from hanging on to the side of the top rail and also add a bit of protection from damage due to bed being hit by the loader ? I had a 2x12 as a top rail but the loader operator still wanted to fill the wagon so to say so I decided to take the 2x12's off and just put me a piece of angle iron down instead with the open end down on the rail this way the angle would be like a Aand dirt could not pile up as it has no surface to land on and will slide off instead of it collecting on the edge of the bed . Thanks twj

Replies22
  1. #1nedly052007-10-23 05:13

    I've never seen it in place of sideboards, but i've seen it on top of a tailgate. It works well.

  2. #2Nac2007-10-23 18:15

    I have them welded on all my dirt and concrete containers all 4 sides

  3. #3ror76a2007-10-23 21:02

    One of my semi dumps has angle iron welded to the top of the rails, can't think of anything that it hurts. The thing I like about it is it keeps rocks from sitting on the rail so that they don't fall on you when you are walking by, or going down the road. I suppose it does offer a little protection against hits by a renagade loader operator, but if he hits hard enough it would bend too.

  4. #4busdrivernine2007-10-24 21:56

    Thanks for the input am thinking about doing that and also putting a plate up at the front even with the dog house that way it would keep them from trying to pile it up in the front corners stupid loader operator actual got my tarp the other day bed really looks different with 2x 12 board on sides of bed aagin Thanks !!:notworthy

  5. #5FarmerDave2007-11-11 16:03

    I never thoght about putting angle iron on the top of the dump body, that would work great on my grandpa's old Dodge grain truck for when he puts too much on, it wont sit up there on the edge

  6. #6surfer-joe2007-11-11 21:06

    Generally speaking, the major reason steel sideboards are not used is that once they are all bent up, they are far more expensive and time consuming to replace or repair than the wooden boards. But I've seen people go either way. The wood get busted out a lot from careless loader operators.

  7. #7mikey5312008-11-16 17:46

    Yes angle iron will work by keeping a rock from landing on a 2 inch wide flat surface.. but stop and think of how much skill it takes the loader operator to drop a rock from 4 feet and have it land on a 2 inch wide surface !!

  8. #8busdrivernine2008-11-16 18:22

    99% of the stuff we are hauling is fill dirt and clay Don t woory about it too much when in a construction zone only thing is the last load you have to clean the bed off of any loose material and the top board is a pain . Have a great day and a safe week . keep the dirty side down . twj

  9. #9OneWelder2008-11-17 13:30

    Put a lot of them on over the years. - It does heip

  10. #10Paystar2008-11-17 21:24

    Had angle iron spot welded on the top rails of my Paystar. Got tired of replacing wooden side boards that kept getting smashed off by "operators". They worked well and helped strengthen the flexy sides on that Beau-Roc Diamond Line smooth side box, which was prone to cracking. Never had any further issues. I added tabs so that I could bolt side board centre supports back on when hauling light bulk product.

  11. #11lancef2008-11-17 22:02

    We just put a peice of timber along the top of sides .Cost the loader driver a dozen ( beers ) everytime he brakes one.We use about 8x2 size timber along both sides of the tipping body.We call them hungry boards.

  12. #12Freightrain2008-11-18 15:53

    How about just taper cut a wood board? Same effect and cheaper/easier to replace. A circular saw and a couple minutes and you've got new tapered boards when a loader op damages it. No welding or beating with a hammer.

  13. #13OneWelder2008-11-18 17:13

    A heavy piece of angle securly stitch welded will take quite a blow- but then hit hard enough the side will cave in

  14. #14mikey5312008-11-18 18:23

    hey hey ! Take it easy on us loader operators ! Sometimes you guys park too close !

  15. #15OneWelder2008-11-18 18:50

    Must be the excavator guys

  16. #16Flexin2009-01-20 20:03

    Hey. Leave us out of of this. James

  17. #178x82009-03-01 21:46

    I have seen this done and I am going to try it myself-I usually load my own truck and sometimes I have to clean off the top of my boards,and I am trying too be carefull not to have stuff spilling on the road-that is why I have the boards,not to carry a bigger load

  18. #18rino2009-03-06 00:38

    My bed floor is fitted with 2 angles starting 18" from the bulk head and stopping 18" from the gate! The V is up. and there are end caps welded closing the ends! The only machine on the job was a loader! The man (not an op) running the loader picked up a piece of concrete that was 6' X 12' X 13" thick. The only way to get this off was let it slide off the bucket! My bed sides are 56" That concrete hit so hard the springs bottomed out! Never phased the rails in the bed floor! It looks like standard 2" angle iron! With the front and rear ends capped, Nothing get stuck inside, and I can still haul material, hot rock, and concrete equally as well! This is the same truck in my personal! Yea the Ford LTL9000, with a 475 Cat! Go figure!

  19. #19Red Bank2009-03-06 20:24

    Rino, how far apart are the angles. I think that is a brilliant idea, especially if it keeps the floor from wearing out as fast.

  20. #20rino2009-03-07 13:37

    Red Bank The bed floor is divided into 3rds! So there are 2 rails that run from the bulk head to the tailgate! I have thought about putting 3 more across the bottom half of the gate! And ever like 2 per side the last half of the bed sides! Got a couple of concrete holes in the bed sides! Made the sugestion to the boss anyhow! It seems the secret is the caps on the end! Its like they took a piece of angle and bevel cut the thing so that the v's meet and weld her closed!

  21. #2130 dirty years2009-03-07 20:24

    Angle iron on the top edge of the box and tail gate works great for loading concrete , if a piece falls out of the bucket when loading ops it will deflect the concrete either in or out of the box and not put a big dent on the top edge of the box

  22. #22rino2009-03-08 04:30

    30 Dirty Years: I agree, but my bed came from the factory with a v edge running on the top edge of the bed! I meant sideways across the gate, and front to back down the inside of the bed! My gate is sprung, and opens difficulty for the first 3rd! So when the concrete is sliding out, it hits the gate HARD first to open it! I have a normal one way gate! Some of the V edges won't work with certain tarps as well! The State disqualifies my tarp as an asphalt tarp because it doesn't cover over the sides of the bed!