My dump truck has a 3116 Cat @ 250HP, I would like to get some sort of performance muffler for it. I want more low end power, better fuel milage, and I really want it to bark a little more. I can't find what I want online, does anyone know of a source for these? Thanks!
Why not just run a straight pipe? The turbo cuts a lot of exhaust noise down so it won't be obnoxious. I've driven a number of trucks with straight pipes and they weren't unbearable. They are quieter if you keep the pipe away from the window as much as possible, either with a longer pipe or set back further. I think the only way you'll see much in the way of performance will be with a tune. I'm not aware of performance exhaust for heavy trucks, they might exist but I've never seen them. I'm not sure how much gain you'd see just through modifying the exhaust.
with the 3116, I assume it has a 4 inch exhaust system, a small glasspack style resonator is available from various manufacturers, will take some of the obnoxiuos noise while still being loud and it will be legal to inspection by the DOT.:bash
It is 4",and I will definitly look into the glasspack resonator, I would love to run straight pipes, but are they DOT legal? They do sound awesome though!
You just have to be a little careful about running straight pipes in terms of power loss, nedly. A lot of people don't realize that a diesel is designed for a specific amount of backpressure for optimal performance. In order to maintain proper boost, backpressure is necessary to stabilize the intake-to-exhaust ratios. I'd do the resonator myself. It may not "bark" like a straight pipe does, but at least it'll still have it's "bite"... As far as a source is concerned, try a search on medium duty diesel exhaust systems, or straight to Berubes.com, which is a truck accessory place in Bow, NH that may direct you to the right outlet.
Thanks lowboy, I did try berubes and didnt see what I wanted, as long as there is a down pipe off from the turbo, won't the proper amount of backpressure be maintained? I am gonna do a google search:thumbsup
Dynaflo makes a straight thru 4 inch muffler for diesel engines. They are not expensive and take the drone out but still leave a good sound. I put one on my DT466 International dump truck which is the same size engine as yours. I replaced one of those mufflers that has an inlet in the front and an exit on the side for a pipe up the side of the truck. The original muffler had a lot of backpressure, and the Dynaflo reduced that significantly. I picked up a gear on the hills I normally run. They make different lengths and diameters as follows (all are 4 in in and 4 in out): #21471 7 in dia and 36 in overall length #22572 7 in dia and 27 in overall length #22786 10 x 15 oval and 25 overall length #22936 9 in dia and 51 in overall length The part numbers are out of a Walker Commercial Truck Catalog. I used #22572 and the sound was great but not obnoxious. The longer overall length the quieter the exhaust. Good luck.
YOU DA MAN BOB!!!:notworthy :thumbsup
Check these guys out. http://www.dieselinjection.net/frames.html
I am unable to find walker online, but there is a site : www.puredieselpower.com they have a magna flow 4" in/out that is "straight through" I am not familiar with this terminology but I am guessing there is no baffling? Would that be a potential hazard to my motor, because they last thing I want to do is damage someting.
Try www.walkerheavyduty.com also have regulations page.:bash
I am pretty sure I am going to get one for the big truck, see how it works in terms of fuel economy, and power, then maybe get one for the 5500 with the 6.6 Dmax, that sucker pounds through the fuel. On Sat we ran both trucks 6 trips 130 miles, the 3116 used less than 1/4 tank while the Dmax used 1/2. Of course the 3116 has a larger tank, but it also has to pull a lot more weight.
Well I ordered a DNA truck series muffler, it appears to be very close in specs to the dynomax 22572, should have it in 2 weeks or so, cant wait!!
I was really hoping to have you tell us how a Cat sounds straight piped! My 05 superduty 6.0 is straight piped and really roars around 2500rpm, but someday it,ll have a full turbo back 4inch dual exhaust.
I almost went with straighters, but I dont want to mess anything up. I think I would be legal because I dont believe the truck would be louder than 80decibals at 50 feet. Of course I will start it when there is no muffler on it I am sure the new muffler will be a big improvement. Next upgrade RXB pac brake. Anyone have any suggestions or comments on exhaust brakes??
I have the Pacbrake on my Dodge Cummins (5.9L). I have close to 100K miles on it with the Pacbrake with absolutely no problems. I did install heavier (90lb) exhaust valve springs to make it more effective. It really is effective.
I cant complain at all about the exhaust brakes I have driven.It loooks like a pac brake will run+/-$1200 forparts,are they hard to install, I would like to do it myself.Seems as though it should be pretty straight forward.
I shopped around and found mine for $800 bucks. That was a few years ago. I thought the installation was easy - maybe 3-4 hrs total. It really is pretty straight forward. I guess it depends on how handy you are. I do almost all my own maintenance on my trucks and equipment. You might be able to see what is involved by visiting their website.
Well having the new mack has put the ole' single axle on the back burner, but yesterday I blew the dust off of her and took her in the shop for some new LED tail lights and rewired the upper box lights. I went to install that high flow muffler I bought 2 years ago:Banghead but I didnt have the right parts so I put it back together with straight pipes. I have full intentions of installing the can I bought on it but it sounds pretty cool SO,Are straight pipes legal? last thing I want to do is not pass state inspection, especially DOT. It wont take me too long to put the high flow on it, and I probably will, cuz I am hoping to put an exhaust brake on it, now I am used to the jake on the mack and it sucks without some sort of brake. I would do the high flow the same day as the exhaust brake.
Some of the trucks I ran almost 30 years ago were straight piped and we never had any legal problems. One was so loud I wore earmuffs driving it, I was hoping to get ticketed so they'd put a muffler on it but never did. I've also had a straight pipe on my PowerStroke F-350 for 7 years now and never been questioned. There's still a bunch of guys running round here with stovepipes unmuffled on their dump trailers. You might have problems in congested areas by local authorities, but I think that's about it.
hey guys, I am just new here caz I am enrolled in school in 2 weeks for HEO in Ontario and am having fun reading your threads on all kinds of good stuff. This site is going to be a great tool for me at answering questions that I might have. I do have some pretty good knowlege of performance improvements as I turn my own wrench on a 500 hp supercharged cobra. Any way I thought I would put up a link to BullyDog so that you can check there products out.... these guys have some serious diesil technology that might help with the get up and go and some pretty sweet mufflers. I do know this, if you run a strait pipe with any turbo/supercharger you will gain some power due to the lower restriction but you will loose torque and {imo} the torque is what does the work in these big trucks caz their not operating at the high rpm levels were you would see the hp gain.. http://www.bullydog.com/
On my Mack we mounted a section of 4 inch square tubing across the frame rails, used "carhauler" chrome extensions going up, the square tubing has nipples for the stacks and one on the bottom with an elbow for the exhaust tube coming from the turbo. I was impressed with the weight savings after taking the factory single stack off and with the fact that the setup is quieter than the factory stack . I ran it down the road after we put it on and the neighbors were impressed
A turbo really helps to break up the sound of a straight piped diesel. There is a huge difference between the sound of a straight piped turbo diesel vs. a non-turbo diesel. I ran a straight pipe on my Cummins 5.9 for a while, but got tired of an irritating drone when under load. The Walker straight through muffler took out the drone while leaving a healthy exhaust sound.
I run a T-800 daycab with a C12. I have dual stacks and the bottoms of the mufflers were breaking out, but the rest of the muffler was fine. I used a plasma cutter to cut out the perforated metal inside the inlet of the muffler. I also cut out the lower inside baffle, which basically makes the muffler a straight pipe. I welded in a new lower pipe and reinforced the muffler bottoms. This all took place a year ago and I have had NO problems. I gained a tenth or two in fuel MPG and power seems to be better as well. It has a little more bark but is not obnoxious. The jakes don't seem to be a lot louder than before.
Deerehauler what year is your truck? you most likely had the OXY-CAT mufflers on the truck. I HAD those on my 06 T-800 with the C-15 took them off and put a set of Donaldson's on there. They look exactly the same as the stock mufflers but their strait through flow. NO ONE can tell their not the original oxy-cat mufflers unless they completely remove them to either see the part number hidden on the back facing the cab OR shine a flashlight through them.
My truck is a 1999. I don't want anything newer than 2005 (like me getting a new truck is going to happen anytime soon). Here in Nebraska we get left alone pretty much as long as tires, brakes, and chains are up to snuff. I have also similarly modified a muffler on a 1988 Bridgadier I used to have and I saw no difference between the Brig muffler and the mufflers on my KW. BTW, what is an OXY-CAT muffler and when did they start using them?