I came across another D4D. Not sure of the year. But ,they said it ran and worked. But, it had a couple of problems that needed fixing. #1 Starter Needs Rebuilt. #2 Steering clutch needs work. The price is about as cheap as I've seen on a working dozer. Assuming it all works except for the two items noted. Plus it has a winch. Is this too much work for an older dozer? or, would it even be worth trying to fix. I'm not sure of the cost to repair it since I can't do it myself. I might put 10 or so hours a month on it. Your thoughts!!! Thank you, James
Depends, would you make the repairs or would you hire some one. If you have to hire somebody for repair work then it would get expensive quick (plus parts). If you can work on it yourself it maybe ok if you get it for scrap price. You would still have to check it out: Eng oil,Trans oil,Anti Freeze and under carriage, steering clutches.
Should have read better, you cannot make repairs yourself probably not worth it.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll keep looking. James