Hey Guys, While doing regular maintenance testing the coolant protection on my 1988 JD 310c backhoe and it seems to not be enough protection for cold weather and not good protection for running in hot temps. it's only at -10F (+261F). I hardly have 300 hours on it since I drained and filled with OEM Cool-Gard 50/50 mix about 4 to 5 years ago. The thing is I tested the left over OEM 2.5 gallon container of Cool-Gard from 4 years ago and it too reads like it does in the radiator. So is this normal? or do I ask the foolish question... "does antifreeze coolant loose its protection properties over time, like the 4 to 5 years since I last opened the container. I'm here in CT and it has reached as low as -5 in the Winter and Summers top out at 98F to 101F… at least where I am along the coastal side. So I'm always use to seeing -35F to -40F and 271F on the testers, a much better reading than what I'm getting from the backhoe. So what do you guys thinK? Am I worrying for nothing?
Hi I just changed my coolant in my 310A and I used Prestone Command , It is SCA pre charge product which I'am told gives you the nitrite level you need to prevent cavitation on your engine liners. I did a 50/50 mix and its down to around -32 to +265. This was not the already to use stuff so I had to get a couple gal. of distilled water.In the past I would buy heavy duty antifreeze then add the additive for the cavitation protection. I would be more concerned with the -10 then the 261 that hoe should never get over 180-190 any time. As far as antifreeze loosing it's freeze protection with age it does't but the additive's will deplete with hours running in your machine. Hope this helps Jeff
It looks like that is propylene glycol not ethylene glycol base, and you can't test propylene glycol with a hydrometer. Need to use a refractometer. So don't worry about it.
Thanks Jeff, I never knew you could put nitrate in the coolant…. When choosing an antifreeze I do like to know how much Silicate is in it because over time I know it does wear out the thickness of the hoses and wears away at the seals and gaskets, I remember touching the radiator hoses back in the 70's & 80's that blew and they felt very thin as if they wore out from the inside, but don't think that happens today?
Thanks Delmer! I Never knew there was a refractor, good to know.
Jeff, I found a good web site that talks about what you mentioned as well as some other things being practiced out there with engine coolants that I thought you might be interested in reading. http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fundamentals
coolants Hi thanks I will check it out, I have been told over the years is that nitrate prevents the formation of air bubbles when each time that cyl. fires that's when you get cavitation which will drive a hole threw that liner. Jeff That was some good reading, I don't use my hoe a lot so that coolant stays in there for 5 or6 years, I use test strips that show PH Nitrate and how far down it will protect for the cold. I still remember when I bought it back in 2000 first thing I did was drain and flush the coolant and what came out was a brown watery crap, to me the small cost of really good oil, coolant,filters etc. is a small price to pay.
Exactly what I was trying to remember Jeff! what the additive was I used about 4 years ago to prevent the cylinders eating away.
I would get it from my local car parts store a product called HD-5000 made by E-Zoil it says on the label that it is a [supplemental coolant additive] Jeff