Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Antique D7 being scrapped

CFrank90 · 2018-11-12 20:22

Hi Guys I went to an auction this weekend in Mapleton, IL (near Peoria, IL). There were two old crawlers advertised that I was interested in seeing, a D8 and a D6, neither of which I thought I was ready to take on the project to get them going and moved but also they had an old D7 they said they were scrapping. I don’t have a serial number but have uploaded some pictures of the machine. They removed the blade and drug it away from the machine and I didn’t think to get a picture of it. It was a LaPlant Choate blade. My thought is this may be a good parts machine for someone or many. The undercarriage looked worn: worn drive sprockets/pins/ some rollers had flat spots from being seized. But the machine is complete. I didn’t notice any freeze cracked in the block but the stack was open. This is the link the the original auction: https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=3171915 The auction was by Culver Auction Service and their number is 309-245-0729 . I didn’t think to persue it at the time so I’m not sure of the timeline on the scrapping so if you have interest you should move fast. I have no idea if the auction company will be helpful but I assume they would give you the owners information. I would love to have this as a lawn ornament but I don’t have the time to devote to it currently. But it definitely should NOT be scrapped. Sincerely, -Chris

Replies5
  1. #1DoyleX2018-11-13 06:36

    Unique with that blade on that tractor. Same around here, fully operating with high bottoms going for scrap. Unfortunately the uncovered stack says it all. Pull what you can use...

  2. #2D6c10K2018-11-13 21:36

    Don't know where you are but my brother has a 1940 D7-7M (military) that he'd like to sell. Has a 3T engine and has hard nose mounted lift cylinders. Engine in running condition ....res r of machine pretty well worn but moves. In southern iowa

  3. #3CFrank902018-11-14 12:29

    This is exactly what the D7 looks like that we saw at the auction site. Is that the blade your describing D6c10k? I found this neat page describing the military D7’s http://panzerserra.blogspot.com/2016/11/caterpillar-d7-bulldozer-hydraulic.html?m=1

  4. #4D6c10K2018-11-14 21:16

    It originally had that type of blade linkage....not sure what blade type it had. My dad changed it by removing the side cylinders and adding the hard nose that had lift cylinders mounted up front like a modern machine. The blade he put on had rigid pusharms that are welded to the blade. The cylinder/blade arrangement was odd in that you the blade would travel way down....much farther than most machines. The engine was changed out because it somehow got dirt in the oil.... my dad always thought someone had vandalized it.

  5. #5CFrank902018-11-14 21:47

    Feel free to email me some more info on the dozer. I did send you a message earlier that included my email address. I’m not very experienced with the forum as far as private messages but that was my intent. Let me know if you have it.