Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any body guys here? Straightening some sheet metal on cab and door

fastline · 2026-06-05 20:09

CAT excavator was damaged when I got it. Been watching for a door forever and reality is it's probably not coming. Two things I need to figure out is pulling a cab shell panel back out a bit, then do what I can to just get the door to seal. Cab - basically the side is pushed in a bit. There is no good way to use hydro power to push it I don't think so I was pondering other solutions like a beefy C clamp looking device I can chain on and pull. the throat depth would need to be about 18" to do me much good. It's just sheet metal so I would expect it to move pretty easy. The door - I really have no idea what happened but only thing I can think of it the damage happened when the door was latched open because the inside of the door is caved and pushed outward. So I really need to almost put a high pressure air bag in thereto pry things apart. I really don't think a bunch of welded somethings will do much here, but maybe. What is irritating is so much leakage, I can't keep the cold in.

Replies5
  1. #1John C.2026-06-05 20:45

    I used to use auto body shops at times when I didn't have the tooling. I don't know about the changes in cabs much now days but they used to just have six bolts to remove to pull the shell and drop in a pickup bed to haul to the body shop.

  2. #2willie592026-06-05 21:18

    Some pictures here might help. Otherwise, it's like reading a book, you're leaving it to our imagination.

  3. #3terex herder2026-06-06 08:59

    I've grabbed a log with the thumb and used it to anchor a chain fall to pull on the side. A straight pull just use the arm. A neighbor needed a door for his and the salvage yards said that is always the first thing to sell on the odd machine where the door is still intact.

  4. #4Willie B2026-06-06 14:07

    My son was young, unwilling to follow directions. He had used the dump truck, parked it halfway into a parking space. I had dumped a load of round wood near the sugar house where I wanted it piled. He was splitting it, one bucketful at a time, moving it to a different building where I did not want it stored. He had a friend riding on the step with the door open. I was preparing my income tax. I heard an explosion, went running out. He had caught the edge of the open door on the corner of the dump body, shattered all pieces of glass, and folded the door in the middle. The hardware & glass cost about $700. I had to pie cut the inside frame & weld it back together, drill out spot welds to work dents out piece by piece. Bottom of the door skin had some rust, so both inner & outer were replaced. Amazingly, only sign of damage are a series of TIG welds on the inside frame. I have photos If I can find them.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2026-06-07 10:25

    I have a rule on equipment with cabs. Never move with the door open, AT ALL. My brother didn’t seem to understand, that not only is it bad for the hinges and struts, it’s dangerous. He bent the crap out of my door, backing into the side of his garage, ripping the gas strut, right off. I was able to get against a tree and bend it mostly all back. There is a 3/4” gap on the bottom, when latched but at least it latches.