Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Greetings from a new automation learner

BeablossomR_ · 2026-06-05 16:29

Hello everyone, I’m a new member and I’m currently starting to learn PLC programming and industrial automation. I’m still a beginner, but I’m very interested in understanding how control systems, PLC logic, and industrial processes work. I joined this forum to learn from experienced professionals and improve my knowledge over time. I’m looking forward to reading discussions and being part of the community. Thank you for having me.

Replies12
  1. #1chidog2026-06-05 17:40

    We all here mostly work on tractors and that sort of machinery. Yes there is more and more automation added to them nowadays, but not many here are into the control systems. So your likely looking more for folks that deal with machines like machine tools and industrial robotics. I suppose PLC is just part of the control systems, there is other programming used on industrial control systems the ones I'm familiar with can use normal G code programming, and also Macro programming that likely is more connected with the PLC systems.

  2. #2BeablossomR_2026-06-05 17:43

    Thanks for the detailed insight. That helps clarify the focus here. I see now how tractors and industrial automation differ in terms of control systems. I’ll also explore machine tools and robotics communities as suggested.

  3. #3Coaldust2026-06-05 17:50

    Hello. Yeah, you are kinda in the wrong place and the wrong crowd. Unless you are into old, grumpy guys with gray hair and greasy tractors. We don’t mess with PLCs, besides a couple of the EPG guys. My kiddo does PLCs and he is in a higher socia-economic class and hangs out with people with clean clothes and big houses.

  4. #4BeablossomR_2026-06-05 17:54

    Thanks for the honesty. I understand this isn’t the main focus of the community. I’m still exploring different areas, including PLCs and industrial automation, so I appreciate the clarification.

  5. #5DDoug2026-06-05 19:36

    His Cezzna get's a proper wash & wax each week as well.....

  6. #6Coaldust2026-06-05 20:12

    That’s right. And the house keeper picks up his office clothes from the cleaners. As long as those Bechtel checks keep coming. Which brings up a good point. Maybe,…. Soon the AI might make PLC guys obsolete. BeaBlossom might want to learn how to fix greasy tractors, instead.

  7. #7fastline2026-06-05 20:14

    I question the legitimacy of the member. pretty AI if you ask me. I work with PLCs and automation, and there ain't no PLCs in the equipment here! Anyone in that space should know that. Let's join the Tesla forum to discuss the latest boosted LSX builds.

  8. #8Coaldust2026-06-05 20:17

    Yeah. Bea is a Chinease bot. But, those are the only gurls that will talk with me. Except, that OF girl who I was helping out with nursing school.

  9. #9Coaldust2026-06-05 20:20

    There are a couple weird, old-school, monster, runway rotary snow blowers at TSAIA that are PLC controlled.

  10. #10cuttin edge2026-06-05 20:21

    Not all heroes wear capes.

  11. #11John C.2026-06-05 20:39

    I've done some appraisals for the analog ones used in sewage systems and missile directors. Turns out they were obsolete and Texas Instruments didn't make them anymore so the dozen that were being donated to a college were actually as valuable on the secondary market as they cost brand new. I was thinking with the move to digital proccesors that they would no longer be used in those formats anymore. Moving to AI systems would I think relegate PLCs to the same markets as 46A dozer parts.

  12. #12DDoug2026-06-07 17:56

    I'm thinking (and have talked with our PLC guys) is the change out to newer tech is held off as long as possible, as someone would need to completley re-program everything. Not really a copy the program from the PLC and plop it into winders. YMMV