Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any Cat techs here?

awful knawful · 2020-07-18 18:32

980M How are idling hours calculated? Numbers don't make sense. Thanks

Replies16
  1. #1Vetech632020-07-18 19:28

    Isn’t everyone here a Cat tech!?

  2. #2big ben2020-07-18 19:31

    My guess - -At low idle or plus 300-400 rpm above low idle -Park brake on -In Neutral

  3. #3John C.2020-07-18 20:12

    They are not calculated. They are recorded in real time as big ben has posted. Why do you ask?

  4. #4awful knawful2020-07-18 20:53

    The bosses are on the boys. Idle time too high, but numbers don't make sense.

  5. #5Nige2020-07-19 12:22

    Are they getting the info from Product Status Reports downloaded from the machine using ET.? If the answer is yes and you have access to one then please post it here. Normally Idle Hours are dependent on thre parameters. Engine must be running (<400 RPM), transmission must be in neutral, ground speed must be zero. If those three criteria are met the loader is nothing more than a 425BHP air conditioning unit.

  6. #6awful knawful2020-07-19 19:28

    Idle hours are displayed on operator screen.

  7. #7awful knawful2020-07-19 19:29

    4 techs were asked how idle hours were calculated. Zero knew the answer.

  8. #8big ben2020-07-19 20:07

    Ok feel free to fill us in then if the answer is in print and so straight forward ? Think John mentioned they are not calculated but recorded.

  9. #9Welder Dave2020-07-19 22:09

    You're saying 4 techs where you work didn't know how they were calculated?

  10. #10Nige2020-07-20 03:51

    If you have ET at your location then have someone download a Product Status Report (PSR) from the machine. It will be in pdf format. If not then the next time a Cat tech is on site ask him to do it and give it to you. If you don't want to post it here feel free to PM it to me. I've no experience of the later machines where the info can be displayed on the Monitor, but on a PSR not only will it show Total Hours & Idle Hours it will also show what % of the time the engine was working at different load ranges of full rated power (e.g. >20%, 20-40%, 40-60%, etc.). All the hours in each different category added will be the same as the total hours that are logged on the Diagnostic Clock in the engine ECM. Well at least it did on every one I've ever seen prior to you asking.

  11. #11awful knawful2020-07-20 11:40

    4 different cat techs couldn't really say how they are calculated. What parameters are needed to be considered idling. I'm an operator

  12. #12awful knawful2020-07-20 11:41

    If I knew how they were calculated I wouldn't be here. Do you know?

  13. #13Welder Dave2020-07-20 13:59

    I think Nige has it covered pretty good. I suppose it's possible there could be a bad sensor or something in the electronics and it's showing more idle hours than it should.

  14. #14Nige2020-07-20 14:39

    I’m not surprised that techs from the dealership didn’t know but I bet their Tech Communicator or Fleet Analyst back at base would know. As with a lot of technical questions the key to getting the correct info is knowing who to ask. Idle Hours. As per post #6 above, three parameters. Engine running. Transmission in neutral. Ground speed zero.

  15. #15hosspuller2020-07-20 15:44

    Not only tech questions, but for anything in a large organization. (law, safety, marketing, finance, transport, etc.) When my small corporate division was spun off in a sale, I lost a lot of contacts in the parent corp. and their info & support. (originally part of an major oil company. Lubrication questions always had an answer )

  16. #16Nige2020-07-20 15:50

    The usefulness of Black Books is way under-estimated IMHO.........