We are looking at getting one of these for digging a footer on a 95k sf building.Based on the geo reports we are certainly going to hit stone.Does anyone know anything at all about this.I know they won a award for it,they say it works good but I would like to know for certain...... http://leattach.com/multiripperbucket.htm
i think it will get you through shale or loose rock....once you hit solid ledge nothing will dig through it. we have a few 15 to 20 ton machines,if the geo test shows ledge we ussually bring in the 320 with a narrow trenching bucket.most of the time you cant work and pick at the rock and get the forms in ...if it can't get through we rent a hammer or blast. i dont think this bucket will prove to be a do-all attachment. solid rock is tough to move. brian
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums brian falcone! :drinkup
Ya I know what you are saying,the videos seem to show it rippin some pretty serious rock,it isnt solid though.
If its fractured just use a rock bucket with tiger teeth if not get ready to blast. Unless you know what your doing a hammer is no way to break rock.
We typically use an extreme duty V-bucket (this is my 22" WBM, which needs some dental work as you can see) when the digging get real tough. As dozerboy said if it isn't fractured, get the powder monkey on sight.
Another Video Here's another video of one of these in action, (same manufacturer) In case anyone wants. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xes2RJXDAVo
still looks like soft rock to me I have a friend with one for his 330 and loves it for lime stone but, he still got a hammer too on a 200
that rock looks like it digs easier than the glacial till around here. I don't know what the rock is in your area but if you have a decent amount of rock to move, or trench to dig you pretty much have to blast. I've spent days on a 4,000lb hammer trying to get enough room for sidewalk, had to break an area about 10 feet long, 3 feet wide, and only had to go down about 2-3 feet. Even then all i did was wear out the bit, still had to have a rock drill moved in to swiss cheese the area so we could actually break it. Even the drill wore out a brand new drill head in 1 day. Don't underestimate that rock.
Looks like it's shale.I don't think it would work to good up here in the Granite State got some pretty hard rock up here.Would love to try one though to see how it digs in the soft ledge.Guy looks kinda rough on that machine.. glen
This i know for sure, if that bucket hanging on the stick of a 385 can hold up with out tearing its self apart that is impressive in my books.
I just watched the vid and it was sand stone thats a joke. I wouldn't count on that bucket of anything solid. I've dug sand stone with a 4 yd massX bucket on a 345 its hard but nothing like rock.
I could see that working in soft rock/ sandstone. But when you start dragging the teeth on it and all you get is a bunch a white smoke it's time to get a hammer or blast it.