Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

need help with excavator purchse-Smasung?

giannid ยท 2008-02-17 18:37

I am needing to by a larger hoe to dig basements for builders. I am a concrete flatwork guy and have a few mini excavators and have been aproached by a few builders to dig basements. I have been traveling to a few auctions looking for a hoe in the Cat 312 range. I am trying to find one in the 30-35 k range and have found a few at auctions, but they were a little beat. Anyways, I found a Samsung LE130LC2 (1999) in my price range. The machine has low hours (1600), wrist o twist attachment, 32" bucket, 5' grading bucket, and is very clean. It was owned by the state of Alabama and I beleive the hours are accurate. I am a little concerned, because I know Volvo purchase Samsung and there not made anymore. Also, I heard parts are very expensive, but available. The machine seems to be as fast and powerful as the Cat 312 B I rent. I also figure I could sell the wrist o twist, because I don't need it. I figure this machine could be used for a long time with no major problems and is in the price range. I know the resale value on the Samsung will be bad when it is time to sell. Anyone have any experience with this machine? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1deeredriver2008-02-17 18:55

    I don't thing you want to dig basements with a machine that size. Everyone arround here uses a 200-220 size to do that, and they run a 60-72" wide buckets.

  2. #2ZAXIS2008-02-17 19:37

    Dear giannid, Here's some advice-don't go Korean and don't go grey market. The parts are extremely hard to find (Samsung & latter) from what I hear and also they are expensive as you stated. If you think you have a future in basement digging, invest in a machine where you have a dealer somewhere close for parts & service and you will be happier with your purchase & more productive for your clients. My .02, ZAXIS

  3. #3giannid2008-02-17 20:06

    The 120 class machine is the size that most prefer around here to dig basements. The lots here are small and the basements are in the 1800 to 2500 square foot area. A 150 class machine would be nice, but would limit me to where I could go with it. Sometimes we tare down old houses closs to other houses. A 200 class machine would be way to large for my application. A 150 zero tail with a 42" bucket would be Ideal but way to expensive. Also, we need something we can move with a tag trailer. The Samsung is not a grey market machine. It was sold and built to US specs. I do have a Volvo dealer local that can get parts for it also. Also, I heard that grey market machines such as Hitachi, Cat, Komatsu, are no problem to get parts for anymore.

  4. #4ZAXIS2008-02-17 20:13

    giannid, I wasn't stating the Samsung was a grey market machine-It is from Korean origin for sale in the USA. I was told a long time ago to stay away from Korean(origin) machines & grey market(not built for US market) machines. Once again my .02, ZAXIS

  5. #5dirt digger2008-02-17 21:26

    we usually dig basements with a trackloader, but we also have a Volvo EC150 we dig with sometimes. The volvo is a good machine, but from what i hear they buy companies having a lot of trouble and fix the major flaws first. Since Samsung sold out to volvo then i wouldn't be too sure about it. But i have no experience with a samsung, i will say that the Volvo is a very quality machine.

  6. #6Countryboy2008-02-17 22:37

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums giannid! :drinkup

  7. #751kw2008-02-18 15:45

    I have a good friend that has 9000+ hrs on that same machine. He is doing about the same things you will be doing. He loves the machine. Parts havent been an issue yet. The only thing that has been an issue is the electrical system. Been running it on manual for 4000+ hrs still no problems. If the price is right buy it.

  8. #8rino14942008-02-19 20:53

    Just because everyone around you uses that size hoe does not mean it is right for him. Hell, we used to use a backhoe to dig basements back in the 80's before we got our first hoe. Even with a 200 size hoe, there is no way we could use a 5-6' bucket to dig. So much hardpan and clay that we would kill the hydraulics. Anyway, if the price is right and you feel comfortable with the machine then buy it. After all, you will not be using it that much. No sense in making a large purchase for it to only still around quite a bit.