Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any info on a Sumitomo s70

Ben Witter · 2025-08-03 21:10

As the title states looking for any info on a greymarket Sumitomo S70. Would Case or Link Belt have had a comparable model based off this? I have searched this machine and have found basically nothing of use yet.

Replies28
  1. #1DM&RDBulldog2025-08-05 13:23

    Call your local Case or Link Belt dealer and see how helpful they are. No clue where in the world you are but ive used Beauregard Equipment out of New Hampshire USA (1-603-225-6621), to source parts directly from Sumitomo for my older Case machines that are not fully supported anymore by the NA dealer parts inventory network.

  2. #2Ben Witter2025-08-12 16:44

    I don't think Case or Linkbelt ever rebadged this model or size from Sumitomo from what I can find. I suspect I am out of luck unless someone from overseas happens on this and has any information they can share. I did find a coupe videos that I think may have been from Vietnam but I cannot be certain. Here are a couple pics of the machine

  3. #3Ben Witter2025-08-15 10:57

    From my searching it looks very much like an IHI IS 25GX or some similar model of IHI machine. It appears Kato bought the IHI lineup. Trying them to see if they know anything.

  4. #4DM&RDBulldog2025-08-16 19:32

    Im still going to recommend reaching out to a Case or Link-Belt dealer. They have a long-standing relationship with Sumitomo. The dealer I listed in my above post has access to the Sumitomo equipment and parts catalogs from every region. As I mentioned my Case equipment is partially unsupported through the NA parts network, and I have seen them source parts directly from Sumitomo many times for me.

  5. #5Ben Witter2025-08-17 12:28

    I have already reached out to dealers and they do not have any info on this model. It appears it was not used by Case or LinkBelt. The closest match I have found so far is the IHI brand. And I have reached out to Kato and they are researching any info they may have on that vintage of machine.

  6. #6MG842025-08-17 13:08

    How big is the machine? Hard to tell in the pics but it looks like it might be a ~3 metric ton machine. Based on the model number I originally assumed it was a 7 metric ton, but I don't think that is right. As for the Case/Linkbelt and Sumitomo relationship, yes they have both been selling Sumitomo machines for decades but only the large models as far as I know, 7.5 ton class and up. Case has used a variety of manufactures over the years for their mini excavators, most recently being Hyundai. Does/did Sumitomo ever manufacture their own mini excavators for the Japanese market or are they too just rebranding the small stuff? If that's the case you might be on the right track just looking for the most similar other brands of mini ex's to try and find a match.

  7. #7CStracker2025-08-21 12:32

    Looks like my IHI as far as the booms and hydraulic cylinders and a few controls on the machine. Mine is zero tail so the body’s don’t look similar.

  8. #8CStracker2025-08-21 12:42

    Found some other pictures on the googlie and the engine looks the same, Isuzu 3 cylinder (mine is the 3KC1), the gauge cluster is identical, the light switch is identical. Those along with the same looking cylinders I would say it’s made by IHI. The nameplate on the one I saw on google looks identical to mine as well. I don’t know if all the filters are the same but I have a list of filter cross-references if you want them. Engine, hydraulic, air and fuel.

  9. #9Ben Witter2025-08-21 15:01

    Yes it has an Isuzu 3KC1PA in it. I can probably match up a lot of the parts, but some would be easier to buy before disassembly. I would like to get new radiator hoses and of course service it. I think I have found the eng. oil, fuel and air filter pn's. Not sure on the hyd. yet. Will need a boom cylinder seal kit, which I can probably get matched up but if not too pricey, would be nice to have before I take the cylinder apart. Still haven't heard back from Kato. I will call them later or tomorrow to remind them. The rocker switches have an odd sized opening and I would like to add one to install a hyd diverter valve so I can run a thumb off the boom swing circuit. I guess I will have to gerry rig that.

  10. #10Ben Witter2025-08-21 15:23

    Well Kato said they cant help me as it seems too old for them.

  11. #11CStracker2025-08-21 17:45

    It’s easy to measure for those seals. I can post a picture of the seals I purchased from Hercules but there’s no way to know if those are the exact same cylinders. They sure look alike though!

  12. #12CStracker2025-08-21 18:07

    I’m attaching copies of the seals order but I can’t remember which goes with which cylinder. Very simple to measure with a set of calipers and if you don’t have a set a cheap HF set will work. You’ll figure out the nomenclature. MCW= metal clad wiper The pressure seals I bought do NOT need a backer ring (even though the ones on it did) so you measure the full width of the seal groove and subtract 1mm if I remember correctly, my groove width was 13.0mm so I purchased 12mm thick pressure seals. Then the rod dia which may be 45mm and the seal depth is 65 yields a: MRU-45x65x12 seal. There may be several different grades such as a -A which may be more expensive or a standard (no dash) will be cheaper. All my wear bands were perfect. Most of my o-rings were good. Some of the O-rings they require you to buy in packs of 25, so a $2 o-ring becomes a $50 one if you only need one. So I looked at mine and said they are good except for a few that didn’t require a minimum like that. Hope this helps. Most parts like alternator will have a part number on them so you can google and find that easily. The thermostat was the hardest part to find…but there’s a website that matches them by size and temperature that helped me.

  13. #13CStracker2025-08-21 18:28

    I would love to see how you setup a divertor from the swing! I don’t have a swing but an offset type boom which I could divert as well. For now I have a mechanical thumb but it’s a pain to jump off the machine. Would love to go hydraulic thumb because I am going to be carrying a lot of rocks.

  14. #14Ben Witter2025-08-21 19:36

    Boom swing/offset should mean the same thing. I am just going to plumb the hoses from the offset cylinder into the common ports of the diverter valve then route one set of outlets to the offset cylinder and the other set to the thumb cylinder. Then install a rocker switch to go from one to the other. I had thought about finding a joystick handle with a momentary switch to work the diverter but I would be happy with just the on/off rocker. Is you machine pilot operated joysticks? this one is manual and gear pumps not piston You wouldn't have any manuals would you? they may not be the same but may have some stuff the same or similar. I suspect finding the radiator hoses will be a pain.

  15. #15CStracker2025-08-21 19:47

    When I saw offset I’ll show you the picture. Yours swings from the base but my base is fixed and the offset happens in the middle section. Useful for certain situations but I would prefer a swing setup. I don’t have any manuals but once you go over the machine with a fine tooth comb you’ll learn how simple they are back in those days. No pilot controls either. I doubt the rad hoses are the same but luckily mine are looking good. I suppose those would have be replaced with universal hoses like my fuel hoses that were some weird size probably metric. In this picture you can see the middle section has a hydraulic cylinder for the offset…so I can make the bucket move to the left or right and end at the edge of the machine or the blade. The bucket will stay parallel with the machine. Maybe useful for digging ditches or working beside a building.

  16. #16Ben Witter2025-08-21 20:03

    OK yes an offset boom. I have seen those on a bunch of Komatsu's before. Might be useful in some situations but the thought of those extra pins and bushings that can wear and cause slop would make me walk away. I did find some pn's for rad. hoses from a Hitachi mini with the same engine and similarly configured radiator. I just gotta see if I can find them LOL.

  17. #17CStracker2025-08-21 20:14

    Yes if those ever wear out I’m welding it shut and using that cylinder to run a thumb. Don’t really need the offset in the woods but I did find it handy a time or two so I could eat my words as time goes on. Good luck finding the hoses. If you can’t find them premolded just get some universal. These little machines are not that complicated. That little 3kc1 engines just rock and roll but can be finicky to startup. Do you have to throttle it wide open at first like me? It won’t start in the idle position. I fully throttle it, run the glow plugs for 20 sec then start it and quickly down-throttle it before it runs too high.

  18. #18Ben Witter2025-08-22 10:02

    The throttle cable is one of the things I need to sort out on this machine. But I could start it at part throttle with ease after the glow plugs cycled. Thanks for the pn's by the way. The number for the arir and fuel are what I came up with, the oil filter is similar just a little longer than the one I found. The hyd filter I haven't crossed the numbers yet. It is all Japanese writing and I have not taken a pic of that and tried to translate it. If I could ask a favor could you take some pics of a few spots and post or pm them to me? Whenever you have a min is fine no need to rush. I would like to see the following areas. 1) Upper radiator hose and the front of the radiator. This would show whether your hoses are the same and I am thinking of adding some expanded steel to the front as a radiator guard. Tooo easy to mark up the fins when getting to the battery and such. 2) Battery location and hold down. This one was just floating around in the well in front of and below the radiator. 3) Governor linkage and cable. This was broken when I bought it and I can get it back together when I fix the radiator side frame and the cable mount. They had "fixed" or modified one of the links so I wonder what length it really should be. 4) The gauge panel. I would like to see if your panel of warning lights is the same. That would give me a possible way to find the correct the part whenever this one disintegrates. 5)the seat, frame and how it mounts. This came with a seat that was not fastened in just laid there. I am sure I can build something but pics give a better idea of how it should be. I'm sure I will think of something else after I post this but thanks in advance.

  19. #19CStracker2025-08-22 12:28

    I can take some pictures but it will be next weekend before I get back to the machine and the Tuesday after Labor Day before I can post them.

  20. #20Ben Witter2025-08-22 15:19

    That would be great

  21. #21CStracker2025-08-29 16:48

    Attaching some pictures. Like I said though being a zero tail swing it’s tight in there. Only one small spot for a battery. Hope those throttle linkages help, but It may not be a stock setup. It’s an old machine. The seat is definitely a home brew.

  22. #22CStracker2025-08-29 16:55

    View attachment IMG_8029.jpeg View attachment IMG_8031.jpeg

  23. #23CStracker2025-08-29 16:58

    Not sure what all got loaded. Using a phone to do this in the middle of the woods isn’t easy but when I get back to my computer in a few days I’ll look it over and add any that I missed. There wasn’t a part number on any rad hose being so old.

  24. #24Ben Witter2025-08-29 21:28

    Thanks! Mine is pretty much the same other than not having a hyd. cooler and not being short swing. Mine also has or had a push pull cable for the throttle which I think is what would be original but some of the linkage has been modified. I just want to get it back closer to original. I will have to have the cable made up but that is pretty easy. I bet the radiator hoses are the same, from what I can tell the Radiator looks close to the same. Just wish I could get the pn's but probably long obsolete. I been looking through some coolant hose catalogs and might be able to come up with something close. The top is 1.125 or so on both ends and about 12in. long with 2 90 bands. The lower is 1.38 on one end, 1.125 on the other and about 8 inches long with a compound 90 bend.

  25. #25CStracker2025-09-02 08:22

    I missed the radiator hoses. Attaching them. I had more pictures attached in my original pictures post but it must limit me to four because it cut several. View attachment IMG_8028.jpeg View attachment IMG_8032.jpeg View attachment IMG_8031.jpeg

  26. #26Ben Witter2025-09-02 14:17

    Yes that hose arrangement looks exactly like mine. I would bet the lower is the same as well. My upper is not horrible but the lower has some damage from rubbing and I would rather replace it now while I have the radiator out to solder the side bracket back on the tanks. I imagine you don't have a parts manual or anything like that. What is the model? I may be able to get a dealer to look the parts up via your model number. I did find a power unit parts page that shows the image and reference numbers but no part numbers. I ordered the seals to rebuild my boom cylinder today. Not exactly the parts I wanted but they will work and had to go through 2 different vendors to get all the seals.

  27. #27CStracker2025-09-02 17:54

    Mine is a 28UX ser#16411 I think you may have better luck getting your manual than mine. Curious who you used for the seals. I didn’t know what to order at first nor did I understand all the nomenclature but after talking to a rep on the phone at Hercules he led me through it. Their prices are fine but the shipping is $20 so even if you just order a small 0.30 o-ring you will pay $20 shipping. It’s actually $19 and change so I’m rounding up. They had all mine in stock. I went with the ones that don’t need backer rings.

  28. #28Ben Witter2025-09-02 22:41

    I ordered the piston seals through Hercules but had to get the loaded u seals as that is all they had in a 9mm height in 60x75. The rest I got from Allegheny York because they had the correct rod seal and Hercules did not but could make one for $40. Did you contact Kato and if so were they any help? They seemed like they didn't want to be bothered when I called them. I work in customer support and I try a little harder than they do trying to get answers on older equipment.