Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any of you run one of these beasts?

farm_boy ยท 2008-01-25 09:31

A local feedyard runs these old 945 once per year when putting up high moisture corn. Not sure of the bucket size, but they will hold about 500 bushel of corn!! They probably get less than 100 hours per year.

Replies11
  1. #1qball2008-01-25 09:35

    fix it anthony tonite

  2. #2dirthog2008-01-25 10:12

    We still have lots of them out loading coal and even a few striping we sold hundreds of them in the late 70-80

  3. #3alco2008-01-25 23:11

    Personally I haven't had the ...umm...joy of running a 945, but I have run a 745B and although it wasn't an overly refined machine, it wasn't bad to run. They had 3 of them all told, two that ran, and one that kept the other two running. Actually, the one I ran was fairly reliable. They used them to load out and screen gravel and topsoil mostly, so no real hard work. Brian

  4. #4Lashlander2008-01-26 02:30

    I used one a little loading trucks in 1981. It took me a while to figure out how to get it started though. Matter a fact I think I had to call someone on the radio to figure it out.

  5. #5dumptrucker2008-01-26 07:03

    They weren't a bad machine. The worst thing they had a problem with were the heads, they warped real easy, so cool down was real important. They guys that just shut them off after running them hard found out the expensive way. Most scraped the fiat motor and put in a cummins.

  6. #6glenhd2008-01-26 19:11

    Buddy of mine had 2 of them one with a spade nose and one with flat edge he took great care of them they were pretty nice not to good in the sand pit but when we were crushing ledge they were beast..Wish he still had them got a lot of rock to move. glen

  7. #7bobcat ron2008-01-26 20:32

    That's one hell of a feed yard!

  8. #8surfer-joe2008-01-26 23:40

    Wow! For it's age, that's one clean machine. I ran one for a few minutes one day just to try it out. Passed it over for a Cat.

  9. #9BIGBEN20042008-02-04 15:47

    I cant believe the size of that feed yard. Nothing even close to that size around here.

  10. #10newbie2008-02-08 15:56

    Where at in KS is that? I spent the fall down there hauling silage. Looks to be about the Ulysses area?

  11. #11farm_boy2008-02-10 10:34

    This was a feedyard near Dodge City.