Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any one Do Small Demos With The Mini-X

Danny Steel ยท 2011-04-17 16:53

I was thinking here, That maybe there could be some work doing small demolition with the mini excavator. Sheds, small barns etc......Any of you guy have experince with this? Pictures, Experience, Tips.......Lets hear It.

Replies6
  1. #1KSSS2011-04-17 17:25

    Even some larger demos. Just have to be careful as the shorter boom can put you closer to the project when your reaching up high. I have some pictures on my website. See the link in my signature

  2. #2Danny Steel2011-04-17 17:37

    You do some kool work, I checked out your site, You sure got the gear......I will remember you when I'm soon ready to build my box scraper for the skid steer. But back at the demo stuff, I may be able to get some jobs taking out some old sheds around town.... I do have a good Danny Steel Thumb on the rig now as well. I guess I would need a dumpster to put the demo In.... or maybe rent them?????

  3. #3stumpjumper832011-04-17 17:52

    I've done a two story garage with a takeuchi tb53, there are some pics on here of it. Honestly while it worked, the machine isn't big enough. Even with the boom all the way to the side, I barely had enough height for the eves, and more reach would have been nice. Idealy I think I'd like a 312-315 set up with a v/a boom, but in some cases its use what you have.

  4. #4CM19952011-04-17 21:31

    Yeah you're going to want to rent cans. Check around your local haulers for price and conditions. Check your prices closely and compare apples to apples. Some haulers will price Haul+tonnage and others may give a flat rate. In my experience a loaded 30 yard will average 6-8 tons on a residential demo after all is said and done. The first cans will be lighter and the last cans will be heavier. The Haul+Tonnage rate can bite you in the arse if you have a demo that has a lot of heavy material.

  5. #5245dlc2011-04-18 01:52

    I worked for a guy who had a contract with a garage builder to do all the garage demolitions like after fires or ones that had been neglected etc. etc. I was running his 435 Bobcrap with a thumb but I found it a bit to light and steel tracks would of been far more durable than the rubber ones it had. I find houses a little easier to take down as most garages will be rotten at the sills and as soon as you start mulching them up, it doesn't take much to get things wobbling. With no interior walls it can be pretty tricky, especially in tight quarters. But the best way to start is with a peaked roof is by punching holes in the roof and working your way towards the gables, mulching stuff up and either dropping it inside or if you have room to spare in a pile to the side. If you have no material inside, then it's easier to drop the walls to the inside as you won't want to drop them to the outside onto the neighbours fence or lawn. Once the roof is munched up, piled up or loaded into a tandem then mulch up the walls if they'll stay up, don't pull on anything as it can cause a wall to kick out in the wrong direction. The garage door can also be a problem if it's not removed before the demo as the springs will "sproing" and get caught on the demo debris just like any electrical wire. The door itself if you can yank it out before the demo you just fold it up more or less and put it on the bottom of the truck or trailer box or throw it to the side if your salvaging any metal for the shredder. When I was doing it we just had regular tandems which was kind of a pain as the tailgates were just regular gravel box tailgates so they didn't open very wide and stuff got hung up pretty easy driving people nuts at the landfill, but eventually he got a special demo box with a hydraulic high lift gate, some people in the city here have barn door style doors which work really well. But a roll off bin will really well and will allow you to see more of what's in the box and so you can pack material down. The 435 had a breaker and a 30" or 32" ditching bucket and a 24" tooth bucket. I used the tooth bucket for the initial tear down, and tearing out concrete and did most of the loading with ditching bucket as the high capacity let me take more with the thumb most of the garage pads the concrete was rotten and often didn't have any rebar or even a footing so I could just lift up on one corner with the tooth bucket and keep folding it over until I had it all in a pile. Once in a while I used the breaker but not very often and without it the job went faster. I would still recommend a 7 or 8 tonne machine for doing small building demolition with the extra reach and weight but a 4 or 5 tonner will work a skid-steer or CTL also works good if you have overhead wires or can't get a truck, or dumpster into a tight spot, you can do the tear down with the excavator and then do the loading with a grapple bucket on a skid-steer. Hope that helps.

  6. #6skbexcavating2011-04-23 12:13

    subscribing...