Hope everone had a Merry Christmas. We have a 50' by 150' shop with a 20' ceiling. I was interasted if there is a company that makes an outdoor wood stove with the ability to burn waste oil. Or does any one have any plans on how to build one. I don't think we will generate enough waste oil through the year to heat with oil alone. thanks for any ideas
There is at least one waste oil forum out there. Do a Google for "waste oil burning forum" http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/ is one. Lots of people also burn waste cooking oil, available from restaurants. I've followed a waste oil burning forum for quite a while up to about a year ago but I haven't built a waste oil burner myself. It seems that the trick is to use a special nozzle that uses a little compressed air to atomise the oil without having to put it through a tiny nozzle like a home heating oil furnace.--Which plugs up if you get a bacteria sideways in it!! Once you have the waste oil gun burner operational you can simply bolt it into the side of a home-made wood furnace. A little searching should find something that agrees with you. You can also find plans on the 'net for simpler burners that drip oil into a burner cup and burn without a fan--some people like these because they don't need any electricity to operate. I believe these burners don't burn quite as clean as the forced air ones. The problem is to regulate the oil flow whether the oil is thick or thin. A simple valve doesn't work that well. I'm sure you will find guys that have done the same as what you are looking for. Also, if you start looking for waste oil I'm sure you will find more than you need... Jon.
Found the link for the thread I was following. It has over a thousand members. Tons of information on building your own. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/altfuelfurnace/ Jon.
build a small pre-heater for the oil. heat it to 220-240 degrees and it will ignite just like kerosene. filtering is the BIG problem. i did this for over 20 years until i retired, not enough used oil now. i did this with all the safety equip unchanged on a show room boiler. i did change nozzle size a few times to get a clean burn. got a small puff of smoke when it cycled on and off.