Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How much a day to rent a shop.

jmac ยท 2010-12-25 12:52

I own a shop in upstate NY here is photo: My question is this, I have been asked to use my shop many times and just recently to paint a single axle dump in it. I supply shop, heat radiant tube, compressor, MIG welder, generator, and what ever else needed if it is in the shop. Basically the renter uses up my consumables. What do you think this is worth by the day? I am looking at how much fuel used to run the place but like to know what others think.

Replies10
  1. #1DiamondLTruckin2010-12-26 01:31

    We rented our shop once while we were living where the shop was at part time. Our shop will not be rented again. If you ever want to use your shop and you have it rented to a steryotypical 'grumpy jack ***' you find your self at a spot. Chances are good that things will be left 'different' or not your way when you go back to use it, making you spend more time to get set up for whatever job you have set out to do. There is always the chance of sticky fingers by people too. Your tools could be broken either due to carlessness or regular wear and tear, too bad if you have to use that tool right when your 'renter' leaves, EX: we were changing oil on our air compressor, had it turned off a the breaker, had left to get the non detergent oil for it as we had none, the 'serviceman' working on our R.V.'s water tank evidentley needed some air. We walked back in our shop door and he told us that our air compressor was broken. :Banghead I'm not at all against helping out other friends or folks we do work with, but its more a case of my shop, I help. Most all of my friends / folks we work with know where the water spicket is, and where the air hose is in case they have a flat tire or some emergency (we a quart or two of non detergent oil around now). Welding rod/wire and gasses I've just dealt with as it comes up, either in a monetary ammount or a 'you owe me' type of deal. Those who have left a mess or not respected the shop usually get an I'm busy or I've got a project that's got the shop tied up the next few times they want to pull something in. It's worked out pretty well for us.

  2. #2Deeretime2010-12-26 01:35

    It would be ok if you were there to baby sit who ever was in the shop, just so you could makesure that your stuff was treated rite and they got charged for all of the stuff that they used.

  3. #3jmac2010-12-26 13:45

    Thanks for the posts. I agree with you both, the shop is like your family room in your home and is personal space. I wish i said no because I don't think I will ever get enough compensation to make it worth it. My shop was already left a mess with over spray on everything. I went to the shop today pulled his primed truck out and put my salt truck back in going to get some snow tonight and need my truck thawed out. No one takes care of your stuff like you do, thats just a given. :Banghead

  4. #4DiamondLTruckin2010-12-26 19:51

    Now he will probably be angry that you pulled his primed truck out into the weather! Another thing jmac that you brought up is that having a shop is real handy for a 'quick gotta do it' type deal like you said to pull your truck in to get it thawed out for the next storm, or any other problem that may come about. I know that those are very far and few between in construction :laugh If I come pulling into our yard needing to get into my shop I'd much rather move my junk out of the way than someone else's.

  5. #5Greg2010-12-31 20:20

    My attitude around here is I don't rent my equipment out and if you want to rent my shop the selling price is this. That means you buy it and do what ever you want with it and what is in it.

  6. #6Randy882011-01-03 09:56

    Figure your costs and then multiply times 10 on a daily basis, and then sit there and baby sit them, the price is for the space only not the tools or parts access, if they want that then its an hourly rate for you to do the work on their equipment, that's why its your shop, to make money on stuff you do or to save you money on your own stuff that you work on yourself. if your into renting space or buildings out then build them and just rent them out with nothing but an empty building. If they are your friends or family then work around it but the more of that you do the more you'll be asked to do, its kind of a viscous cycle. I'd view it like your living room in your house or the family room, not a guest bedroom or anything like that but its just my opinion.

  7. #7flametamer2011-01-03 12:04

    Don't forget the price of insurance to cover your a**. Dt

  8. #8koldsteele2011-01-03 21:16

    Been watchin this thread for awhile ....I let a boy and his "painter " do a truck in my shop ...NEVER again ,the simple disrespect of MY shop and MY tools left me with a bad feelin about mankind ..

  9. #9jmac2011-01-03 23:12

    The truck is painted and as you guys have already figured out it went very badly. The shop was left a mess with over spray on everything I own. This person I considered a Friend and we did a lot of work together. Thats all over now because I was nice enough to let him use my shop. I had the propane company come and fill tank before he used the shop and after he used it and he fought me to pay for that. Did not even bother trying to get paid for the electric, fuel, welding gas, wire, and misc stuff he used. I basically paid to have his truck painted in my shop. I am old enough to know better and wish I could do this one over again. :Banghead

  10. #10Randy882011-01-05 07:12

    Don't feel like the lone ranger, your not the only one to do it once and had second thoughts on it later.