Hi all Looking to buy these two trucks but I might have them transported. The transporter said they needed to know the weights of the trucks The small dump truck has a 10 foot bed and a diesel engine (1985 GMC , 22k gvwr with airbrakes) The international has a DT466 and air brakes it's double frame with airbrakes and if it had a 14-ft bed on it the 14 ft bed would go all the way to the back of the rear tires ... Any idea what each truck weighs empty? Thanks Pics
12-14K each I'd say.
10.5
agreed^. I had a cornbinder 1600 flatbed dump that was an even 10K. I've ran several of those short box dumps and they tend to hover around that number. LOL one of them had a sticky dump cylinder and I packed a chain to pull the box down with when I had to drive it. Truly a POS.
I'd guess around 12K each. The diesel and air brakes add a bit of weight. For reference I have the following trucks: '75 C60 with a 14' grain box 24K gvwr, 350/4+2spd hyd brakes, weighs 10K '80 F600 with a 10' gravel box (similar to the one in the pic) 23K gvwr, 429/5+2spd hyd brakes, weighs 11K '00 IH 4700 14' flatbed (not dump), 25.5K gvwr, DT466/MT643 Allison, air brakes, weighs 13K Had a '88 F700 with 10' gravel box, 30K gvwr, 7.8L diesel, 5+2 spd, air brakes, weighed somewhere between 13-14K IIRC.
<<this orange CF7000 6.6L, Allison 545, 2-speed Rockwell) with 11' steel flat deck is ~12k We also had a CF8000 13' low sided scissor hoist dump (7.8L, 5+2 speed, extra lining of 1/4" ar plate) it scaled ~15,830lb. (Edit: found my original notes). This was a 33k gvwr truck and also had some underbody plow mounts Probably apples and oranges to OP's situation...
How much in extras on those? tool boxes, tools, chains, binders, * My mack at 280" WB with a 855, 13spd and tandems only weighed 15,000.
Right, that certainly makes me question my notes regarding the dump (they are from 2014 for the F8000). There were two underbody tool boxes, in each truck as well as some Tryggs etc...A decent bit of tooling but does seem high for tare weight. I was scaling it in order to see if a Hitachi 50urg would be legal chained into the 13' dump box... Looks like it was well over on front (12k) axle. Here is my chicken scratch!
Thanks for the input .... the trucks do not have tool boxes or any "extra" weight on them I was thinking maybe a good way to get the actual weight on them would be to drive them to a cat scale BUT the only issue with that is the closest scale is far away and the owner was reluctant to go there even with me .... Would it be possible to somehow contact the people that look for overweight trucks on the highways and as them for a courtesy weigh ? or maybe even I could pay a small fee for the service ? Who could I potentially contact for a private weighing ? Thanks in advance for any and all info Oh also, just curious BUT what do you think the trucks are worth (just wanting to see if they are a goode deal which I think they are but just wanted to hear opinions before I offer) Thanks
Those trucks do look to be fairly 'light'... Maybe things work differently down there; but I am trying to understand why the hauler needs an exact weight...doesnt really seem like a 'heavy haul' type of situation. Any chance you have a gravel pit near to the trucks? I pay a small fee to check tare weights at our local gravel pit (handy as they are our neighbours & also do Lowbed hauling for us) Can't help too much regarding pricing as only have experience in our local (BC market). Up here those may be $5-7k trucks?? ----selling price----
Quarry, landfill, feed mill, grain elevator, masonry/block yard, fertilizer plant, etc all usually have truck scales, surely there is somewhere nearby you could weigh them. Many don't mind doing it for free if you just ask, although it doesn't hurt to offer them some money. You don't want to get DOT involved in anything, 'courtesy' or not and I'm highly doubtful they would want to help anyways. As for price, condition is everything. If they are clean rust free southern trucks in top mechanical condition, they could go as high as $8-10K ea. Rust in the cab, rust jacking on the frame, brake problems, etc might be as low as $1500 ea.
Now here, a new or new to you truck has to be measured by dot before you can license it. They will come to you and it's free.
Measure wheelbase and scale it?
Yes
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that... Here in BC I did have to take a scale printout (of tare weight) to ICBC in order to insure the Yellow F7000 cab over as a flat deck (it was originally a sweeper). Kind of funny because they never even 'sighted' the truck; just took my scale printout. Also since we don't hire out we can insure all of our trucks as 'artisan use' (only hauling own tools/equipment for our own business). This lowers the cost of insurance substantially.
certified scale ticket all that's required here.
Ontario used to require that as well for SPIF regulations. Did away with it right around 2020. Now, we need nothing, not a scale ticket, not an axle measurements, nada. Back on topic, I bet that International weighs in the neighbourhood of 10,500-11k lbs. I had an 05 with a dt466, 7 speed manual, and a 12ft heavy duty dump bed it and it scaled right at 10k full of fuel. Great reliable truck, slower than molasses in February though. I think mine had 210 horses when it left the factory, but I think half of them must have ran off.