We are digging out a ton of dirt for a pond. The ground is first ripped with a big farm tractor and then the loose dirt just scooped up with the skid steer. Probably have over 4000 yards to move. I know the skid steer is not the right sized tool for the job but we only have one dump truck hauling the dirt off so it keeps up. Anyway this soil is not super wet and definitely not mud, but sure seems to build up and stick in the bucket. We can wash the bucket out with a pressure washer and a few dump trucks later we have a 3-4" thick layer stuck in the bucket. Any thing I can put on to reduce this? I have a sand blaster I thought about blasting the inside of the bucket to get it super smooth and then painting and waxing it?
I suspect you are headed along 'the right way' as much as possible _ reducing the coefficient of friction (smooth and shiny will not allow as much sticking!!) is really ALL you can do, as far as I know _ How practical that is will be decided by How Much More Work it allows you to do I guess.. If it increases a typical bucket volume by 10-15-20% then I suppose you can easily justify doing the work _ if you are Washing/Wetting the Bucket, it will just make MORE Dry Dirt Stick, unless you wait/dry it out _ moving that much dirt will take a while, so better to Work Smarter, Not Harder!!
Old School method: Use a pump-up sprayer to soak the inside of the bucket with diesel a few times during the day. This might not be "environmentally friendly", but it works.
The problem I see with painting it, while it is a great idea on paper, I can see the paint lasting for the entire job. Granted dirt is sticking in the corners of the bucket where there is minimal abrasion, I would recommend the diesel fuel method.
I didn't have a pump sprayer handy but today I washed the bucket out really good, let it dry, and sprayed the inside with WD-40. It worked really good for twenty or so buckets and then was back to normal.
Diesel might work better, it has wax that will penetrate well and remain once the diesel has evaporated. Never tried it for this use, but I can't wait.
If your location was bit more refined than "USA"....I might suggest crude oil, Pennsylvania crude is loaded with paraffin, works good on snowplows. You could by 5 lbs or so of wax and melt it with thinner, and paint it on.
Yeah bdog1234 . How about lining the inside of the bucket with a plastic liner like they use in dump trucks ? http://www.quadrantplastics.com/na-...tandard-175-f/quicksilver-R-truck-liners.html Glad to hear you got started on the project . Using the chisel plow to rip the floor ?
Yes we are using the chisel plow to rip first. It works really well - at least so far on the topsoil. We really haven't got down to the caliche layer yet but when we do I think I may have to remove some shanks from the chisel. It makes it pretty effortless to scoop up the loose soil. It is practically a desert here we only usually get 15" of rain a year but we have had over that much in the last two months so the ground is moist. The coolest part so far is we have been selling off the topsoil as we dig. We have sold and delivered close to 250 yards which has been paying for the diesel and my help. If we keep this up I just may be able to dig the pond for free. I pressure washed all the buckets and dump truck this evening and am going to try spraying diesel in the morning. If that doesn't work I will look into the liner. I also did a Google search and found this www.plowslick.com It looks interesting as well but is $40 for 60 sq foot coverage.
That plowslick stuff looks good. The price is reasonable if it does what it needs to do. If you try it, please let us know if it works out.
Cool bdog1234 ! Was hoping the chisel would work to loosen things up . Years ago before we had yellow iron would chisel up the ground to be moved with a 7 shank plow . Then load it in a dump truck with a loader tractor . It worked The "Plowslick" product sounds promising . I'm looking in to lining an excavator bucket with plastic or something like Plowslick . Our red clay at the rite moisture content really sticks bad at times . Back to the pond . 15 inches of rain fall a year is what I would call simi arid . We get about 45 inches annually in a normal year . we usually figure at least 3 to 1 on a pond / lake . Need at least 3 acres draining in to a one acre pond in order for it to sustain a good water level . In your area I would double or possibly triple that figure of the area feeding the pond due to less rainfall .
I have never done it on a skid steer but it works great on excavators, weld chains in bucket. I would say 4 or 5 on a skid steer. The bigger the chain the better. I would say put them slightly closer to the front than halfway and have it go to the back of the bucket. If I could scrounge up a few pics I will post them of how we did it on an excavator.
I'm the same way Landclearer . Have chains welded in the ditch bucket . They help but I am always looking for better options . Get somewhat of a view in the second picture of the hoe on the low boy . HeavyEquipmentForums
Went to your link and ten pages later still no picture of this chain setup.
You'll have to 'blow it up/brighten it' to see _ or I had to _ See Reply #131, bucket facing rear on trailer.. Chains are there
Good eye bobcan ! Sorry cdm123 , I should have posted the reply #131 as bobcan noted . We are looking in to building a " reach stick " for the excavator . Mostly just for creek work dipping sand ,gravel , & mud . Something like this .... http://www.forconstructionpros.com/article/10720912/choose-excavator-booms-and-sticks-wisely Thinking of building it all out of aluminum including the bucket to keep it light and line the inside of the bucket with plastic to cure the sticking issues .
Ok see it now, and this helps a lot?
Yes cdm123 , it helps keep mud from sticking in the corners . Not the end all fix but helps . I am experimenting with a plastic liner in the 14 " wide skid loader backhoe . I use it mostly for installing utilities like water & electric lines . I have a water line to go install so should be interesting to see how the plastic works . Oh yeah ...... I just used a couple 5 gallon hydro oil buckets . LOL !
I LoVe this idea _ good job of recycling, and easy to replace panels when worn out too!! ** I actually suspect that a plastic panel that is not perfectly flat will FLEX and most likely cause Dirt to fall off/out easier as well.. Good Luck, let us know how it does, I am thinking will do quite all right though!!
That looks like a great idea td25c! Let us know how it works out in practice. I have used UHMW plastic as chute liners in a screening plant when we had sticky material and it worked great. This could do the trick. The trouble spots will be the corners, if anything.
Has anyone else tried the plastic bucket liner? If so how has it worked out long term? I just used a 12" bucket which plugged up quickly and easily. I am hoping to find a better solution.
Wonder if old antifreeze works? We use it or diesel during snow haul. The antifreeze being better for the environment allegedly. For a while we were using brand new coolant even. I realize snow isn't the same. It's gravel soils here for the most part so dirt isn't normally sticky.
I tried a UHMW liner for my 12” trench bucket and it worked good. I ended up using spray never seize in the corners of my 24’ bucket when enlarging my pond and it works for half a day.