Heres some pics!
Heres some more.
Mabey one more!
Where is that going on?
payhaulers Those are my favorite trucks ever I used one 1996 350c for stripping operation it had the 1710 cummings would have bought it but I got beaten on the next go around at the quarry they alway had one at the coal mine where my dad worked and Peabody mine #10 where my grandpa worked awsom truck.
Oh great, and my nightmares were finaly going away....so much for that Brian
If I remember correctly (from some brochures I have seen) these trucks have 4 wheel drive. Must make them superior in certain conditions.
What's it take to turn something like that? I figure by the end of the day ones arms would be sore!
Yeah they are 4 wheel drive, but only when the trannys in 1st or reverse. You have to flip a switch in the cab to activate it. When the driver upshifts, it unlocks the diffs and goes back into two wheel drive.
JTL, you forget how the rear axles would snap the drive lines and finals when they were worked in four wheel drive. As ALCO says, the nightmares were almost gone! Hjolli. a 773B with the traction control system would go anywhere these would go and do it for thousands of hours and whole lot less money. If you wanted ten Haulpaks hauling on a job, you better start with fifteen.
John C, you are right! Although we havent too many finals fail, I cant recall how many drive lines we have replaced over the years. I've seen drive lines break running down the haul road! They have a knack at tearing out transmission and hydralic lines when they go. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they arent a bad truck, but they arent a good truck. On a job where we are running 4 Payhaulers, we always have at least 2 sitting on the ready line. I get a huge kick when we call the hall for Payhauler drivers, and no body knows what they are! I dont how many times a person will come out and work one day, and not be there the next! They are not a operator friendly machine! Jason
They rode really good,thats about all I liked about em
Lots of 350C's still running in a quarry up by me.
I had almost forgot about the Pay Haulers. I have worked on the 350 which is the same as 180 and also the 140 and 65 that's like 40 years ago. As I recall 180, 140 & 350 loaded they had about the same weight front & rear tires. Nice pictures, thanks.
What's the red and white flag for on the 2 last pictures?? I saw that once, in North Dakota on a job site and wonder what these flags are for ever since. Thanks for any info. Max.
I would say they're working around a airfield, that's where I've seen those flags used before.
Yep, the red and white checkered flags are FAA spec and required on all equipment operating on an airport in the areas on or near the runway.
Are those the same trucks that Dell Hurr used at the Hanford landfill?
Don't forget all those broke springs
I only got to work on some of these once years ago. The company I work for bought out another quarry near us that had 3 or 4 of these. My only job was to help remove the boxes for shipping them to another plant, I believe somewhere in Penn. I did here once that the plant that got them did like them for stripping. Not sure if they are still in service anywhere.
thanks, takes me back, we ran two of these back In 90s, one with a cummins other with Detroit, as far as im aware at time only ones in Scotland if not the uk.
I used to do a lot of line boring at a Readymix quarry close by and they had 4 or 5 of them with Detroits. I can remember the store room being full of spare leaf springs.
http://s369.photobucket.com/user/kman9090/media/116_zps2ac70422.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 http://s369.photobucket.com/user/kman9090/media/061_zpsa70700d0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1 Heres a couple pictures of 773's and 775's
Good pictures on those links Kman9090! I really love seeing big machines like those caterpillar models. Thanks for sharing!
Kman9090 where did Dave kolb get those tracks over the rear tires of that 775 cat I have seen loaders with similar type tread in books before I have a Payhauler was wondering if they would work on it in soft muddy conditions or even traction on frozen ground ,cover all 4 corners of the pay hauler or just the rear what do you think and whats the proper name for them. are they intended to prevent tire damage from rocks.