Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheel-dozers

Bellboy · 2008-12-02 23:06

Well, I think that it is about time that someone ventured into the under traversed terrain of wheel-dozer territory. Anybody run one, own one, or know a lot about them? This wheel-dozer is run and owned by Cedara College Of Agriculture. It is a Cat 814B, and is used very seldom. In fact, the last time it was used must have been around 3 months ago, but it is primarily used during silage season to compact and fill the silage pits, as well as towing the tractors out of the pits. Here are some pics:

Replies113
  1. #1BigYellowIron2008-12-03 09:11

    The cab looks brand new!

  2. #2Bellboy2008-12-03 23:25

    As I said, it doesn't see much use, so there really is no opportunity for the cab to get to looking used! And the cab is quite comfortable, actually. None of the rust, wear, or grubbiness of a very used, old machine. It does however need a good paintjob, as the exterior really looks quite rusty. The green bit on the back of the machine is the ripper, but I have never seen it used. It just doesn't look like it can do anything.

  3. #3Eric2008-12-03 23:44

    We affectionatly call those things "rubber tires". We have a few at our mines, we use them to sweep rocks off the haul roads and clean up around the shovels. I HATE these things. They are handy to have around, but ride very rough. And it's a booger to hold grade with em'. Compared to a track dozer. At our mine property's this is what a brand new operator breaks in on. After several months of running these rascals, if they're doing good, we train them on the real thing.

  4. #4Haul-Pak2008-12-04 02:22

    Ah the good old RT dozer's. Quite a few around here including 2 of the 15 D950's ever made. RT config is alot easier on the the equipment than in Front end loader set-up. I can never understand why they put new Op's on RT's? Its a skilled job on the edge when they clean up around 4100's, Dart in and out between trucks's etc.

  5. #5JTL2008-12-04 15:42

    Weve got an 834B with a B-G behind in at our project. I'll try to get some pics of it this afternoon when I go in. Jason

  6. #6JTL2008-12-05 15:06

    As promised. 834B with B-G. A real handy machine to have around, dragging the haul road, cleaning up under the hoe, push off the stockpile. You really have to be caefull to not run over the tounge when backing up!

  7. #7HoJay2008-12-06 19:25

    The outfit I work for has two of them, one 834b and a komatsu that is about the same size but i'm not sure the model number is. Both of the wheel dozers are mainly used to push scrapers when we are running in good ground but useless in the mud, which is why we only have 2 of them. The last job I was on we had a 10n with a pushblock and a komatsu wheel dozer. Most of the job the rubber tire was parked because of soft underfoot conditons in the pits and we wound up using the 10. Out of the 12 proposed borrows we used 9 and only 2 of those had good dirt. In those 2 pits that had good dirt we had the 10 and a 8 ripping and the rubber tire pushing buggies. When the rubber tire was pushing scrapers through the ripped material it was loading as fast as the 10 but what got me was how fast it could back up to punch the next buggie through.

  8. #8JDMGrading2008-12-06 20:34

    First time posting pics...This is from the Vulcan materials plant.

  9. #9surfer-joe2008-12-07 00:31

    Lot of cladding on that 834 blade. I like RT dozers, always have. Wonderfull for pushing snow and gravel, loose fill. Not so good for excavating hard park dirt or clay or in wet conditions. Great for clearing trees and stumps, building rough haul roads and general pioneering. Very fast in quarries, mines and pits for cleanup. Easier riding too than older dozers. Never pushed scrapers much with them though.

  10. #10RollOver Pete2008-12-07 02:07

    I've spent more time on a rubber tired dozer than I'll ever admit to. The newer 824's were more operator friendly than the A's. But IMHO, the A's are still the best RTD Cat ever made. These pics of me were taken in 1986 by one of the best dirt foreman I have ever had the pleasure of working for. Mr. Dudley Elswick from E.L. Yeager

  11. #11diggerop2008-12-07 02:49

    Tiger 690D How about a Tiger. Based on a 992 wheel loader . First released in 1981 in Western Australia. Probably used mostly in the mines, a good cleanup machine and pushing dumps with the right material. I think it can push nearly as much as a D10, if its got the traction . This one is stick steer.This is their web site . http://daak.com.au/pages/tiger.htm Does anyone know of any elsewhere in the world?

  12. #12surfer-joe2008-12-07 18:34

    If I hadn't become Guy F Atkinson's go-to guy for 834A tranny park brakes on the Upper Stillwater Dam in Delores, Colorado, I might like them more. The operators couldn't catch up to the KW Dart belly dumps from a standing start so would lock the park brake and torque the transmission converter against the brake with full thottle. The belly dump would go by, the brake would fly off and the 834 would jump to the stinger for a push up the face. Trouble was, it was very hard on the park brake and Atkinson had four or five of the dern things. My helper Roger and I had a couple in the shop the whole time that summer pulling brakes out and stuffing them back in. It's a good thing Roger didn't mind working upside down, he did most of the work in the black hole we called it. I'd stuff him in the hole head first and hold his legs and rotate him around as needed. These machines could be a killer. Atkinson had a guy hurt or killed in California that summer when a rear planetary wheel set blew off as the wheel was being disassembled. The wheel studs were weak and often loose and unless the tire was deflated it could and would blow the planet out of the gear case. I liked the Michigan 280 & 380 RT dozers better.

  13. #13Haul-Pak2008-12-07 21:48

    2 Of them here, One is home made with d10 Draft-arm's and blade. One big single lift cylinder. They have problem's but 91'000 hr's on them, they own nobody nothing. 3412's Sound sweet.

  14. #14N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-07 21:58

    JDM is that the quarry of off South Blvd, right beside 485? If so I about got ran over by that same machine.

  15. #15redline2008-12-08 02:48

    hey any chance of a pic or ten of them mate?

  16. #16Gavin84w2008-12-08 03:53

    The first 690 Tigers had a single 992B lift cylinder as the blade cylinder and then they went to twin D10N cylinder and controls for the B model, they also ran the 773B lock up torque convertor and this roilled over into the 690D. The 790G was based on the 992G and featured D11 blade cylinders etc and the first machine off the line was displayed at Minexpo 96. this machine was then shipped to Australia and i assembled it for Thiess at there Mt owen mine in late 96

  17. #17CAT7932008-12-08 05:28

    Please Delete

  18. #18CAT7932008-12-08 05:32

    Tigers I may well be completely wrong but I always thought a 690 was based on a 990 not a 992 (???). We had a 844G that was based on a 990 and a 854G that is a 992G (always thought they used to be a 690 and 790 ??) Rod

  19. #19Gavin84w2008-12-08 06:21

    Muddy,690 has always been based on the 992 c & d. 790 was the 992G and 590 was the 844. If you can think up a good contraption made out of Cat bits you will be brought out and make a pretty penny on your design. Just look at Mr Tiger, Mr Elphinstone and Mr DJB in recent years and MR Russell (Graders) and Mr Trackson (Traxcavator) in years gone by. Mr Haulmax is next in line

  20. #20CAT7932008-12-08 13:23

    Would I be correct in saying when our Tigers were sold they were still branded Tiger because i seem to recall being sent out the sticker packs when CAT brought them out to re-label them!

  21. #21Haul-Pak2008-12-08 20:59

    Ok. If you Insist. Probably parked for a Service or such.

  22. #22redline2008-12-09 05:02

    or severe weather maybe lol ointhead ointhead ointhead

  23. #23mikef872008-12-11 05:21

    I bought a 834 for short money, needed a headgasket. All I use it for is plowing snow. That's about all I would use it for. You never really see these machines around, up my way anyways.

  24. #24Bellboy2008-12-15 01:20

    I like the idea of the wheeldozer concept, and the College that owns them had an auction recently to get rid of a whole lot of junk, old concrete mixxers, and old Case TLB with brand new hydraulics, but screwed tranny, Cat D2 or D4, etc, but the rubber tire never came up. I will try to get some more pics, but they will most probably be of the machine stationary. Sillage season is in about 3 months, so I will bend my old man's arm to take me to Cedara for the week that they do it, try to get the operator let me move it around, speak to the Farm Section Manager so I can have a go, get pics, etc...

  25. #25scrub bull2008-12-20 07:14

    91,000 hrs, has it ever been turned off.:beatsme

  26. #26Bellboy2008-12-21 01:57

    Ok, now, all you wheel dozer buffs, here is a diagram of the cab with some lines. The yellow circle is the the main control lever. A far as I can remember, forward and back lifts or lowers the blade, side to side, controls the angle of the blade. The green one is the second control lever. It controls the tilt of the blade. Now is where it gets tricky. The green arrow pointing to the bottom of the pic is where another lever is located. It changes (I think) the hydraulic flow for an auxiliary attachment, on the green lever, from being blade tilt, to the ripper operation, bearing in mind that this is a 914B wheel loader, modified to be a wheel dozer. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and offer any corrections, ideas, etc. Does anybody have any ideas on what the blue circle is? The red bit is the deccelerator pedal. As you can see by the wear marks on the floor in front of the pedals, this pedal doesn't get used much. What is it for, and what does it do?

  27. #27Dug Overburden2008-12-21 02:39

    E.L. Yeager Const Co. 824B wheel dozer photos ROP, Is this picture on hwy 79 south in Temecula Ca? Cat 824B "36H" & 834A "43E" had no power down low,you have to keep you leg buried in the throttle all day to keep the Turbo Boost up. Your leg sure is sore at the end of the day! BTW these sure sound great with straight exhaust, watch one at night and you can see a flame in the exhaust!! On another note, Skanska has ruined E.L. Yeager. The people are what make the company. Your comment about Dudley Elswick shows the class E.L. Yeager had!

  28. #28CAT7932008-12-21 02:57

    I have never seen or worked on one of these but I will have a go at explaining them. The box with the blue circle looks like a add on monitoring system that contains pre set parameters from sensors/switches to warn the operator of a system malfunction. For example lo oil pressure or coolant temp. hi. I would have thought the red pedal was just straight brakes and the pedal on the other side of the steering column was Trans. disconnect so you still had full hyd HP with out trying to drive through your brakes! Are you sure the green is not a hand throttle?? And the green arrow is about where the hand brake button and cable usedto be! Once again I do not know this machine i am just guessing!

  29. #29alco2008-12-21 03:07

    I'm no expert in the field of wheel dozers, but I think a few of your ideas may be a bit off there. The 814B was based off the 950 loader not a 914B if I am not mistaken. The green circled controller would be a hand throttle I think. But it could very well be used for blade pitch I guess. There is no decelerator on a wheel loader or dozer as far as I know. I'm pretty sure that would be the same as on a loader, which would make it a brake pedal. I'm not sure at all what the level out of the picture indicated by the green arrow would be. Finally, I think the box on the dash in the blue circle almost looks like an old CB radio, but I may be way off on that. To me it looks like a radio that just doesn't happen to have a mic attached to it right now. It'll be interesting to find out what it all works out to be. Brian

  30. #30diggerop2008-12-21 04:24

    OK my turn. On a 834 the main lever controls up and down and left and right tilt, the second lever is blade pitch and ripper control, the lever indicated by the arrow which is on the right hand side of the seat on the 834 when in the up position the second control (green ) lever is the up and down for the rippers and when it is in the lower position the second lever then controls blade pitch. On the floor far right is the accelerator and the other two are straight brake pedals, the 834 we have does not have a clutch/brake or whatever it's called on the left pedal and never did have. The thing on the dash would be a guess. Merry Christmas

  31. #31JDOFMEMI2008-12-21 21:17

    Well, we are closing in on thje right answers. Yellow lever is the main blade control. Fore and aft movement lowers and raises the blade, and side to side movement controls the side to side tilt of the blade. The green lever controls pitch of the blade. Green arrow is likely the diverter valve, sice this machine has a ripper. it may be a 2 position, or sometimes a 3 position valve. When in the normal position, the main lever side to side controls the blade tilt, with 1 cylinder, when moved the other way, the rippers go up and down. This is also used for the machines that pull a disc or bee gee scraper. If it is a 3 position, like on some, then the 3rd option is to make the tilt work with both cylinders opposed to each other, for a faster tilt cycle. Red circle is the brake, and there is no decelarator on a RTD, at least none I have seen. Left side brake may be a straight brake, or may be a combination declutch/brake, like on a wheel loader. I have seen them both ways, and there is a use for it on a RTD that is doing back and forth cycling, such as pushing a truck dump. Now the blue circle is an educated guess, but wth the prominant red light on top, I suspect some type of monitering device, to alert the operator in event of overheating, low oil pressure, low air pressure, High trans temp, and possibly other faults. It is an add on device, not OEM Cat. By the way, it looks like a very clean unit. Most around here have much more wear ant tear showing.

  32. #32Haul-Pak2008-12-22 00:57

    Well it's one Joystick on the 992C and it control's the 3 functions. I think you guy's mean the Inching Pedal found on forktruck's mainly.

  33. #33CatMatt2008-12-22 01:24

    Blue Circle Gday All The blue circle is an Engine Protection System, We have one very similar on one of the Old cat dumptrucks i operate, Moniters Coolant Level, Oil Pressure and Water temperature. It brings the engine to an idle if it detects if there is a problem. Matt

  34. #34Dug Overburden2008-12-22 02:43

    Cat 814B Brian,Alco I believe tthe 814B was based on the 966D,not the 950. Correct me if I am wrong Dug The 814B was based off the 950 loader not a 914B if I am not mistaken. [/QUOTE]

  35. #35Gavin84w2008-12-22 05:28

    getting there men!! Actually just in front of the blade tilt lever is another knob you can partially see and this is the throttle lock. 814,5 & 6 are based off the 966 range in that era and as such still have the neutraliser pedal on the far left, push half down to neautralise trany and further down to brake.

  36. #36992G2008-12-22 16:04

    I believe tthe 814B was based on the 966D,not the 950. Correct me if I am wrong Dug Dug, You are correct on that one 814B was based on the 966D and E models.

  37. #37Bellboy2008-12-24 01:32

    Wow, thanks for the replies guys. Now that I think about it, when the operator gave me a demo of the machine, he said there were two brake pedals, but on the new 814F, the red pedal is a deccelerator pedal, so thats what probably got me confused. The throttle, by the looks of things in the demo, is by the steering wheel, like on most TLBs, like the JD J series. I think it only has forward, neutral, reverse. I asked the op to give me some info on some of the other things in the cab, but he just shrugged his shoulders, "Angiyazi", (I don't know), so I just left it there. Bearing in mind that there are no Zulu equivelants of operators manuals, or of engine monitoring system, throttle control, etc, so the guy was probably working off his entire operating experience. I think that the whole engine monitoring system sounds about right, as this machine does belong to a government department. And I do believe that JDOFMEMI has the green lever down to a science. The operator showed what it did, I just didn't know how to explain. It did seem a bit big for a 914 loader, and, the cab is very clean, save for the operator extinguishing his cigarette butts on the dash next to the main control lever. Thanks guys. How should you operate one, and what are some tips?

  38. #38Haul-Pak2008-12-24 13:50

    Depend's. If you are cleaning up around a 1000ton + shovel then AVIOD the thing at all cost's. I always hold the Thought that an Dozer is only productive with a full blade. Sit and watch till you think it's Justified to Push a decent blade and not just a little. Ov-course this is different on shovel clean up, Make sure you get the Big rock's out of the Truck's path. Constant radio contact with the shovel drive is always good.

  39. #39Taylortractornu2008-12-26 18:11

    When I was a little boy I dad got to operatoe one for Wright Brothers Construction. He told me how he was on a D8 and the dozer man told him it would out push that K dad took the * and the man took the 834 I think it was and pushed dad backwards. But it was on good dirt to. Dad said hje really liked it in a rock fill because once you got a good starting place at grade with the rock you could pitch your blade, Once you got going let it set down on the slide feet and away you went. Thats what like about the blade tilt we have on our converted timber cutter landfill compactor. On stingy loads you can tilt the blade forward and it speads better than trying to feather out the lift. I worked around one on a subbed TVA job it worked a coal ash pile. They liked the mobility of it and the speed and compaction in the damp coal ash. It also push the 2 637's they had as well. I had a friend that rand a small rear steer Michigan like and 85 loader or one with a 2 yard bucket. It was a slick rig on some jobs they had a set of compactor wheels they ran on the front to. I ve saw a sad Letourneua Cdozer a scrapper cut up it was running a week earlier before I found it. It had skid steering. The cable blade was power up and down, and the tilt was cable driven in a slide. The trunnion was hinged under the belly and had the winch slide set up to tilt it. The owner had it parked down the road in a field and a scrapper thought he could just take it. Its ahame. It was used to clean up behind timber companies and was hany about the roadability of it. I know of a Green WD looks to bee of a Terex origin or Euclid kinda funny looking blade itds down at a dredge shop near amory MS in gravel country

  40. #40awful knawful2008-12-29 00:46

    This is our backup machine 1986 Michigan 280c. We use it at a pulp mill in New Brunswick Canada to push chips. Cummins powered. We used to have a 1978 Clark 280 Detroit powered but the company sold it off. .

  41. #41Dug Overburden2008-12-29 01:56

    Clark Michigan wheel dozers Nice pictures of the 280C, sure wish they would have kept building them. They were a nice machine and gave Cat some competition. For compairson here is the cab layout on a 1984 280C.

  42. #42awful knawful2008-12-29 16:10

    Our cab has the same layout.

  43. #43qball2008-12-29 17:16

    red circle= brake green circle= blade safety. it disables the blade control. it is a two way blade and a two way lever. no hyd pitch control. the other pedals are the acclerator and declutch/brake.

  44. #44willemdegrader2008-12-30 14:47

    here are a few pics of a wheel dozer i spotted in germany. It's a Zettelmeyer Zd 5001 used by the german army

  45. #45MKTEF2008-12-31 14:03

    I would say its a ZD 3000F. The ZD5002 was built on their biggest loader with a straight 6 engine. This little bugger got a V10 deutz engine.16L. Maksimum speed at the road is 62 km/h. Hydropneumatic suspention both front and back. Blade has folding extensions so it can be roaded, 2,75m wide. U can bearly se the suspention arms under at the back. 20t winch at the front. This is German engineering at their best.(We talk about 1981!) Here is a link to the brochure: http://www.volvo.com/NR/rdonlyres/C485FB21-59F1-4F7F-A493-BE70086D2BA2/0/ZZD30013000F21xx9007.pdf

  46. #46Dug Overburden2008-12-31 23:15

    Zettlemeyer/Terex wheel dozers I believe Terex marketed the same machine during th 1980's "IBH" era, but I am stumped on the model number. If I can find my old Terex product guide from the 1980's I will post a reference. I just searched and found a photo in The Earthmover Encylopedia page 58. The Terex WD3000 was only in the product line 3 years 1981 to 1983. I do not know if any were sold the USA. Why would you buy this if you could buy an Cat 824C or a Clark 280B? Here is a copy of a sales brochure,kind of funky looking as we are use to the sheet metal being taller. Dug:usa

  47. #47willemdegrader2009-01-01 13:40

    Thanks mktef..learned a bit more today!i posted these pictures on the dutch forum where they told me it's an zd 5001. see next link for more wheel dozers! http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=5568

  48. #48MKTEF2009-01-01 14:52

    Post some closeups please I bet Ovrszd is interrested in your fenders. They are different compared to ours. And i bet somebody likes your tires.... I am a user on that forum too, but my dutch is not so good, so i don't post so much over there...

  49. #49Taylortractornu2009-01-02 00:24

    I really like that Zettlymeyer, I like the looks of it and the 6 way blade. I have a friend of mine that got to operate one when he was about 25, it was on the Tenn Tom waterway I cant remember who had it I dont think it was M&K but Im not sure. It was on some of the finishing jobs. The company had gotten it from overseas on a job and brought it back to use as a high speed trench filler on a pipeline. I think his was actually the Terex Version but he kept reminding me that it had the Zettylmeyer logo casted i nalot of places underneath. Mikey says it was a super fast rig and was handy on alot of the mobile tasks but inoperapbe in the wet weather.

  50. #50Bellboy2009-01-02 02:50

    Mktef, where did you grab that pic of the MVO grader. I found MVO when I was looking for some 1:50 trucks, and one of the results was by Tema Toys, an MVO DAF CF 85 atriculated tipper, MVO seems to have an impressive portfolio.

  51. #51MKTEF2009-01-02 05:55

    This is not fair to Steve, but anyway: www.bouwmachineforum.nl Pics is under Volvo/roadbuildingmachinery/726. A good site, but in Dutch....im lucky to be good in German/English and Norwegian so i recognize all the words. HEF beats it anyway....

  52. #52willemdegrader2009-01-02 12:56

    Bellboy here's the link to the website of mvo; http://www.mvogroep.nl/nl/

  53. #53Bellboy2009-01-03 01:19

    Thanks for the links, MKTEF and Willemdegrader. I have already visited the MVO group's website, they seem like very busy people. Do you see them a lot Willemdegrader? MKTEF: my Dutch is non existent, but my grandfather is Dutch, my grandmother is afrikaans, so between the and my dad, I can pretty much understand it, if i took the time, because my afrikaans reading skills suck.

  54. #54willemdegrader2009-01-03 13:58

    hello bellboy. MVO is the company where I work.It's mostly specialised in dredging and (special techniques in)earthmoving,for 98% in the netherlands.because of the size of the loaders we use it's common that i cooperate with loaders of other company's (with smaller loaders).

  55. #55Bellboy2009-01-05 00:50

    Thats very interesting about MVO. How long have you been working for them? Now for the rest of this rest of this thread: Does anybody other than Cat make them? I heard that Komatsu made, but I can't find them. Suggestions?

  56. #56Dug Overburden2009-01-05 02:53

    Komatsu Wheel Dozers Bellboy, Komatsu makes a machine equivilent to a cat 834, Model number is WD600. It is based on the WA600 chassis. There is also WD900 based to the WA900 chassis Dug

  57. #57Deas Plant2009-01-05 08:07

    Wanna Bet??????????? Hello, Qball. Do you wanna bet that that 814B doesn't have pitch control on the blade? Looking at that LONG blade tilt cylinder on the left side, I sure wouldn't bet that it doesn't have pitch control. All the Cat wheel dozers that I ever got to run had a skid plate under the back of the blade and you could pitch the blade back to run on that skid plate for cleaning up floors, etc.. My input on the controls: Outside lever under operstor's right hand (yellow circle)- joystick blade hoist and tilt control. Inside lever under operator's right hand (green circle)- blade pitch fore and aft. Lever indicated by green arrow - diverter valve for pitch/ripper. Far right pedal - accelerator. Pedal in red circle - brake only pedal. Left pedal - combined de-clutch/brake pedal - some models may be brake only. Lever under steering wheel on left - forward/reverse with twist for speeds. Red button under rear of steering wheel - park brake. Box in blue circle - systems monitor with 'Murphy' light. Just my 0.02.

  58. #58Bellboy2009-01-05 13:17

    Thanks for the input Deas. It seems as though you are quite right about the green diverter valve for the ripper/ blade pitch. It seems as though the only speed available on this particular machine is forward, neutral, reverse. The operator demonstrated how the lever for the gear shift had to be jammed into forward or it would drift back into neutral, so any suggestions on that one? Thanks for those pics Dug Overburden. Have you ever run one of them?

  59. #59Deas Plant2009-01-05 13:43

    Forward-reverse lever. Hi, Bellboy. Either worn linkage or something jamming it somewhere. If it happens to be the locating mechanism that is worn, I suspect that that is located inside the transmission, not a 5-minute fix. That style of transmission control, at least all the ones that I saw, had 3 speeds available by twisting the handle - twist the top of the handle forward to change up or back to change down. You might like to check that if you get near enough again. There will most likely be the numbers 1 to 3 cast into a metal collar on the handle at the inner end of the plastic grip. Have fun.

  60. #60Cmark2009-01-05 18:25

    The FNR is spring returned to neutral when the park brake is on. If you have to force the lever into forward or reverse then this is probably where the problem lies. You could have a lack of air pressure or the actual neutralizer mechanism could be broken. (Not unknown). Does the park brake release OK? Is so, then the air side is probably OK. The mechanism for the neutralizer is in a box between the FNR cable and the tranny. Follow the FNR cable and you will find it. To repair it, you'll probably have to remove the seat and get yourself upside down in the cab . You'll also find the microswitches for the backup alarm and neutral start lockout in there. As Deas said, you should have 3 speeds. The first place I would look for a problem in this area in at the control lever end inside the steering column housing. It works by a rack and pinion mechanism and these wear out and give trouble. Hope this helps.

  61. #61Bellboy2009-01-06 01:30

    Thanks for the input guys, but it is actually not my machine to fix, however, I will try to get these tips and advice to the people at farm services, around the same place where my dad works. I must say, I never thought that so many people would have knowledge of wheel dozers.

  62. #62Texasgary2009-01-06 22:20

    texasgary We used the wheel dozers in the tunnels at Mica dam, these were the diversion tunnels, and not very wide so them 824 or 988 they worked great as they could get around fast and get out of the way for the cat trucks. I used them at gibralter mines for pushing 631 and 641, they worked ok as long as it was clay, and you never felt them like a D 9 they were good in there place.

  63. #63feroracing2009-01-17 04:13

    Zettelmeyer ZD 3001, they were from Germany and were very durable machines, sad Volvo has bought the hole company Next I will send pictures

  64. #64feroracing2009-01-18 03:29

    wheel dozer here is a pictures about a German dozer, they were very smart machines

  65. #65Cmark2009-01-18 03:57

    Are these related to Hanomag? They look kind of familliar...

  66. #66feroracing2009-01-18 05:00

    They were German, all I know In 1977 the first wheel dozer model was introduced, later followed by new models. In total 464 machines were manufactured.

  67. #67Hjolli2009-01-19 17:14

    Wheel dozers vs. wheel loaders I have often wondered what wheel dozers really are good for. I´ve never seen one in action but I can understand they are mostly used for clean-up etc. on hard or stable surfaces. Why not use a wheel loader for such tasks? They are acually better at dozing as a full bucket will transfer the weight to the front wheels which clearly gives a better traction. And the flat bucket floor will help keeping the grade. I´ve done some dozer work with a wheel loader with a grab bucket, once I tried doing some levelling with the bucket open, using the dozer part of the bucket, I got the impression that doing any dozer work with a wheel dozer might be, well , difficult......

  68. #68Taylortractornu2009-01-19 22:23

    The thing that makes a wheel dozer push more is the mounting point of the blade/ loader arms. on a wheel loader the arms are hinged up high and the forsce is transmitted upwards plus the longer arms on the loader make grading kinda touchy. The down low mount of the dozer blade on a wheel dozer is more of a straight plane push. I recently got to try a converted wheel loader to dozer. it was a wrecked Komastu WA250 Tool Carrier loader that had the rams damaged in an accident. They had a fab shop build the new trunion mounts and used a blade off a Dresser Dozer. A friend had me up at their gravel pitt where they were using the machine They also had a matching WA250 stock TC with the loader and a 4in1 bucket. The conversion pushed twice as good as the stock loader especially on dress up and grade work. I know building a road once with a skidder I noticed the same effect because the blade is at a sharper angle with an uphigh mount.

  69. #69JDOFMEMI2009-01-20 11:04

    More Komatsu wheel dozers taylortractornu got most of the reason for the wheel dozer working better than the loader, but the other thing is that most, but not all, wheel dozers have what is called a sole plate, which is a flat wear strip mounted behind the cutting edge. Using the blade pitch adjustment lets you skim the groung with this plate to keep the blade from suddenly digging in like a wheel dozer tends to do without one. Especially if the pins and bushings in the mechanism are a little loose, it is hard to control the blade in some soil types without using this plate. With the sole plate flat, you can skim the ground at a pretty high speed, which is the reason for a wheel dozer, and if you need to dig in, just pitch the blade forward, and it will dig. Here in SoCal, there are lots of wheel dozers, as they go well with scrapers, knocking down and mixing fill in the soil we have here, as it compacts well with rubber tired effort. Here are some Komatsu pictures

  70. #70Hjolli2009-01-20 15:41

    Thanks a lot guys for your explanations on this. I guess a loader with a 4-1 bucket is not the best way to judge a wheel dozer performance. Still for some reason wheel dozers are extemely rear here in Europe. I wonder if anybody has tried using WD for spreading fill to grade with GPS, and if that would work. Hjolli

  71. #71Taylortractornu2009-01-20 17:49

    JDOFMEMI Thats a good point about the skid shoe they use, Dad ran an 834 many years ago and told me they were great in a rock fill about setiing your grade then tilting back to ride on the shoes. I do that alot with the 518 Fellerbunch we changed over to a compactor. The head was removed and we put the old blade off a 290M Clark scraper tractor. it has the shoes on it. they help to not let the blade plumet to the rubbish when we use it to push off a load. I like those Box scrapers yall got there looks like that would be Ideal to maintain a haul road. I got the leads on an older Terex may be a Euclid WD and also and old Michigan rear steer WD . Id like on at work to save on an undercarriage when I have to do maintenance on the other side of the landfill and that I love to hear a Detroit bellow. Hjolli Europe was once on of the leading producers of wheel dozers, Diamler, Zettlymeyer,Hanomag,Kaelble, Rossi, Frisch , And theres a few morebut my brain has played out. Most of the great wheel loaders makers made them the most well known ones were the Zettlemeyer and hanomag and maybe the Frisch. The Frisch had a funky design the cab was o nthe front half on one corner almost directly behind the blade I think with one cylinder for the lift, It also had large balloon type tires that was also its standout feature.

  72. #72JDOFMEMI2009-01-21 00:52

    Hjolli About the GPS, it works very good on a wheel dozer. we run them with the scrapers knocking down the fill, and set up to fill a couple of tenths high to get good compaction, then trim it to grade with a dozer. With the GPS, the wheel dozer can make sure all the slopes are pushed out far enough, trim the high spots, and show the scrapers where to dump to fill in the holes. On my other drive I have some pictures with the GPS on and working. Have it set up for one of the Komatsu's, and also on a Cat 824C The box blade, or bee gee, as they are known as here, is a wonderfull tool for haul roads as well as cleaning up the fill area.

  73. #73Dug Overburden2009-01-21 01:13

    Wheel dozers Vs Wheel loaders Torque convertors I noticed no one has mentioned the difference in torque convertors on a loader or a wheel dozer. The T-Q on a wheel loader is designed for duty cycle work, charging piles & lifting vs a wheel dozer pushing. When cat discontined the 834 in 1975 there was a void & eventully they stared converting 988B's. It's problem was the torque convertor was not designed to be fully loaded 8 plus hours straight. There were a bunch of 988B conversions to 834B conversions here in California and the complaint I always heard was the T-Q. I believe cat reintroduced the 834B about 1982? Another problem with using a wheel dozer for full time fill spreading is fuel consumption, you can not make an 8 hour shift on one tank. Here in California we pull either drag scrapers "AKA Be-Ge" or 5X5 sheepsfoots. I know many lube truck drivers have had ass chewing's for not checking the fuel at lunch & the machine runs out of fuel 2pm! Many contractors have added auxillary fuel tanks. I am not a mechanic,so if any one can add to the the T-Q theory please do. I attatched a photo of the fuel tank Dug

  74. #74JDOFMEMI2009-01-21 01:30

    Dug Right on with the fuel. The 824C usually makes the day if it is only 8 hrs, but the komatsu will be out after about 6 or 6 1/2 hrs if it is working hard spreading fill or pulling the bee gee. Also right on with the torque converter issue.

  75. #75Dug Overburden2009-01-21 01:32

    988B wheel dozer conversion Some photos of a 988B converted to 834B. You'll notice the machine still has the loader controls & top linkage mounts. If you are looking at an 834B & it has a 50W serial number prefix instead of 92Z prefix, it's a conversion. Dug

  76. #76Dug Overburden2009-01-21 01:49

    843B with 5x5 sheepsfoot building a fill (photo) In case you have not seen an 834B towing a 5x5 sheepsfoot. This is common in Southern California, althought the 825 steel wheel comactor vs 834 & 5x5 controversy has been discused, this is open to interpretation. This is Sukut Const Co. in Newport Beach Ca. Dug

  77. #77Taylortractornu2009-01-21 01:55

    Dug the 250 ITconversion my friend has around their pit has an extra oil cooler mounted on the back of the cab off to one side. One of their mechanics was from Australia where they use some loaders converted to dozers for running 30 and 40 foot rakes. They only use this machine for remote maintenance work and clean up to save on undercarriage wear. Both machines were in the pit where a machine they have in the patent process is located so no camera alowed. I did get to operate it a bit and it seemed like a good machine. I doubt their conversion would have been done if the little loader hadnt been so damaged, Trucking firm didnt bind it down good enough and she fell off a trailer and almangled the arms when the pipe forks buried up in the ground. I saw the hardware the removed and wander how the center pins are intact. Michah told me that they got the idea from PWCE's conversion they had the extra parts to have it done from past machines.

  78. #78Dug Overburden2009-01-21 02:03

    Komatsu WA250 wheel dozer A Komatsu WA250 is diffently is a small wheel dozer, this application sounds like it gets the job done. Does not seem like it would get much bite due to not weighing very much.

  79. #79Peter Kennedy2009-01-21 06:39

    Mount Arthur coal in the Hunter Valley, Australia have 2 Tiger 690,s that have been in service for over 13 years, mostly shovel cleanup(P&H 4100) and other odd jobs around the pit. I think they are due for replacement soon Not sure of how many hours they have clocked up but I am sure it would be heaps !! They also have a Cat 854 R/T Dozer that is used for pushing over mine dumps and so far it has be Just ok. It does spend a bit of time in the workshop though.

  80. #80Taylortractornu2009-01-22 18:50

    Dug it was indeed a smaller machine, They really didnt think it would have been successful but they got talked into it, Plus Insurance wouldnt cover the replacement of the arms and their mounts that had been damaged. They considered making a compactor similar to the one we did but for soil. Then the mecanic told them about converting it. For extra weight they added water and antifreeze to the tires to give it some good bite. A small wheel dozer well the smalledt Ive seen was one that Clark/Michigan made from their 85 series 2 yard rigid frame loaders it was a small beast. Ive seen a few of them here and there on the web as well as a few of its larger cousins. Tony Turby bought the biggest machine Ive ever been around at a sale. He mainly buys trucks but he came home with a a3 or 480 Michigan WD the blade was 33 feet wide Its hasnt been installed it was just on the yard in tractor form.

  81. #81sluggo2009-01-30 02:28

    Barrick Goldstrike mine in Elko Nevada, had one when I worked there,but that's been like 6 years ago.

  82. #82CAT7932009-01-30 05:16

    Raises an interesting question.............If you lined up a D10T and a 854G corner tip to corner tip on flat concrete which machine would be going backwards???? (I know the answer from see it )

  83. #83JDOFMEMI2009-01-30 11:49

    I venture to say on flat concrete that D-10 will be the one going backwards. Rubber to concrete is about 90 percent traction Steel to concrete is about 10 percent traction. A smaller RTD than an 854 would still beat the D-10 on concrete.

  84. #84ben46a2009-01-30 15:33

    Well i found out the other day and 854K will pull a 797B on icy ground and a D11T wont. The 854K Never even spun a tire and the 11 even with ice lugs sat and spun. Shocked the crap outta me.

  85. #85Dug Overburden2009-01-31 00:30

    Wheel dozer vs Crawler tractor A friend mine worked for Signs & Pinnick in the 80's, they had a fleet of Hough D500's. One friday after everybody had to many beers a bet was placed if the Hough D500 could push a D9L. They lined the machines up blade to blade & the Hough D500 pushed the D9L backwards! They had (4) runners but over time kept parting them out untill there was only one runner. Eventuly sold it for saftey reasons because the brakes sucked.

  86. #86pactractor2009-02-02 23:27

    Dug I worked on one or two of those hough's for Signs and Pinnick, while renting 657's to them we sometimes had to help to keep the support equip. running if they didn't have a mechanic on the job. They were a bit weird the way the cab was part of the front half of the articulation.

  87. #87Deas Plant2009-02-03 02:28

    Hough D500's Hi, Dug Overburden. I didn't run them a lot but did do a few hours on a couple that were set up as coal dozers. They were somewhat dangerous when working around semi-tippers hauling coal into the stockpiles. The air cleaners were mounted on the front face of the firewall sticking out from the sides of the hood. You could hide a whole semi-tipper behind one of them and not see it. They would sure push a pretty fair blade-ful of coal but that 'sit-on-the-front-and-the-back-breaks-away' frame arrangement wasn't any more user-friendly as a dozer than as a loader - - - - and that was a PITA. The 'tahrs' didn't like being viciously assaulted by DD9G corner tips either. Bell Brothers in Western Australia found that out the hard way, the first day out on the job after they had fitted brand spanking new Michelins to it - the only four in Australia at the time. The operator of a DD9G working alongside the Hough D500 spun around and took out a tire with the corner tip. He joined the unemployment lists that same day.

  88. #88Gavin84w2009-02-03 06:23

    A DD9G in Australia Deas, where would that gem be now? Dug, last year we had the 825 engineer out from Cat and took him to a couple of site. One site had a Turners Eng. 834B 92Z converted to a compactor, effectively an 835B. The job done on the conversion was so convincing and looked so factory the engineer was flippin out and we stopped and he killed a few meg in his digital cam. We asked about the possibility of Cat doing it and he said it would be doable under a custom product. Another thing he spoke of was a narower blade on the 825 so as to prevent taking corner tips off to achieve the width on the float.

  89. #89Deas Plant2009-02-03 08:04

    Where would that gem be now? Hi, Gavin84W. Haven't a clue, M8. Back in those days, Bell's only kept their front line machines for 3 years and that was about late 1969. I did see one of them rigged in Wigmores' (as it was then) yard in Guildford, prior to delivery to Pinjarra. That was the closest I ever got to having my favourite rump steak in the seat of one. And I don't know how many of them Bell's actually had. Maybe you could find out by doing a little record surfing at the 'home office'. From what I can gather, back in the late 1960's-early 1970's, Bell Brothers were as big within Western Australia as Leighton's were Australia-wide. And Bell's had tentacles too.

  90. #90Taylortractornu2009-02-05 18:07

    Deas I always hated running a Hough or IHC loader because of the tail wag. after running Cat Deere Komatsu and other loaders it always was a pain to get on a an IHC or dresser machine I always would catch the engine out of the corner of my eye in a turn and slam the brakes till I figured out the clod head about to run over me was me. Also topping off trucks I liked sitting on the back half better to steer the bucket and see what I was doing.

  91. #91Shamrock2009-04-13 22:32

    The 834's I've run as well as a 988B (old Loader converted into a Power Cable Reeler) surprised me not only on Flat Ground but on slopes. I can not believe some of the really rough 14-15% slopes they'll climb up. The Reeler has a tough time after a few minutes of anything really tenacious - loses all of her tranny fluid and "en-do's" on the Reel you are carrying coming over the other side.

  92. #92Frenchy2009-04-13 22:52

    Those wheel dozer look like pretty much same than a packer with the blade....except the wheel! Frenchy:canada

  93. #93Taylortractornu2009-04-14 22:58

    They are the same things just different wheels. Cat and michigan even made a few skidder to eart and trash compactor conversions in the early days of landfill packers.

  94. #94malcolm2009-04-15 03:31

    Wheel dozers HI Hope you guys can handle a real wheel dozer cheers malcolm

  95. #95JDOFMEMI2009-04-15 12:15

    There it is, the original RTD

  96. #96Taylortractornu2009-04-16 18:58

    A friend discribed seeng a non articulation RTD nearby about 40 miles away for sale at 1500. I found it but it was a sad site the man that bought it ripped out the motor and busted the generator and hacked off all the winch parts for his wrecker and then burnt part of it and left it in the mans yard. I was sick as a dog. The old man had driven it there after doing a last small job. It even had a power tilt. and the Tow owner never did finish paying for it. To this day I that towing service makes me sick. I may trade for the rest of it may be a trans or some parts that could be used.

  97. #97Bellboy2009-04-23 10:13

    How sad. really, how can you just do something like that to a piece of equipment. Honestly!? :Banghead

  98. #98oversize2009-04-25 18:49

    Hi so a rubber tyre dozer and 815,825 are very much the same?? The turners eng. machine you are talking about above is that a Gm powered machine that had rubber tyres mounted inside steel compactor wheels,? If it is I this tread got me thinking about them, I remember these machines working on a job near my primary school on the gold coast in the mid 80's

  99. #99BigIron252009-06-02 15:49

    Nice pics! i have never seen anything like this! good post!

  100. #100BigIron252009-06-02 15:52

    haha that post was in reference to the tiger 690D

  101. #101footloose19522009-09-29 07:51

    Does any one have photos of any Bell Bros equipment who operated in Western Australia until the mid 70's. I worked as a Grease Monkey and had great joy in driving a lot of the machines into and out of the workshop, they had two large Hough Wheel Dozers, a large fleet of Cat and IH Scrapers of all sizes, soil compresion machines, and I actually operated a Large Knuckle type machine that had two large spiked rollers and joined in the middle like a universal joint, One engine at either end. All machines were painted Red & White, and the reason I want to see photos now, is I want to repaint a couple of diecast models to replicate them. My memory as to how they were exactly painted, is somewhat vague now.. Thanks Peter from WA

  102. #102Clawed Backster2009-09-29 15:56

    I have a couple of pics, and a video of my old Michigan wheel dozer in action in the "old iron" section of this site.

  103. #103Bellboy2009-10-10 02:16

    Haven't been here in a while, but during my absense I ran a Cat 814B (During school holidays). its a really spiffy piece of equipment, for its age.

  104. #104saleh m.alyahya2011-01-06 03:44

    what engine is this unit equipped with?

  105. #105Aussie John2011-02-05 23:58

    I have worked at a couple of hard-rock minesites where we were for-ever replacing blade skid plates and cutting edges on our Cat 825 dozers. These were used for clean-up on the haulroads and around the shovels. To solve this and to save money on GET, we removed the sole plates and fitted a couple of D9N double flange rollers to carry the blade. These gave a great life and saved a lot of heart-ache in the shop. If anyone wants more info, let me know. Probably not as effective on larger RT dozers such as 854s though due to the heavier blade or on coal stockplies withloose material but worked a treat for us. Even modified new machines before they went to work. Regards, John

  106. #106Harry2011-08-26 04:20

    Oh ya the old michigan at the AV cell mill. Did some millwriting at that mill.

  107. #107RDG2011-08-26 23:29

    Thats a cool idea using D9 rollers, bit of OZ/KIWI ingenuity in there somewhere.

  108. #108Madmark732011-08-28 08:04

    New 854 in 2006

  109. #109shellabear2012-04-25 05:14

    hi footloose i was also a grease monkey at bell bros in those good old days 1976 to 1989 with all the old machines. did you get the paint scheme? give us an email if you like.

  110. #1101-5-3-6-2-42012-05-21 01:36

    We've got 4 Cat 854 Tiger RTD on site. They are strictly mobile clean up. the oldest one has 88,000 hours.

  111. #111lpnt652012-05-31 06:30

    TEREX 300 Original post was by Dug Overburden 2009 I know this is a late addition to your post ,however i did see one at a show in Queensland Australia being demonstrated, it made lotsa noise but didn't shift much dirt.General comment was it was pretty color,However having made that comment I consider it was demonstrated in incorrect site, i am sure if it had been working on a tiphead may have been another story , A Michigan Would have eaten it before breakfast in any situation, only it would not have been that pretty Green

  112. #112herve702016-01-03 00:29

    plans or manuels paydozer d500 Hello I'm looking plans or manuals hough paydozer of 500 like it this to make a model Thank you

  113. #113RayF2016-01-03 01:23

    Back in the days of G Martinich.