Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anyone else made their own hard line when the part was not available: Case 580D D121654

Rick Frye · 2026-04-20 06:46

Recently after replacing the O-rings and wipers on the backhoe spool valve and stabilizer control valve, I found that a previous owner had replaced the left hand lower port hard line with a very long hydraulic hose. I wanted to remove the hose and return it to a more original state of having a hard line instead of the coiled up and crammed long hose. I check online with the CNH, used parts sellers, new parts sellers and eBay. The replacement part was not to be found. This led me down the rabbit hole of tube bending. As you can see in the picture the D121654 had quite a few bends and quirky angles. I made sure the sourced tube was correct for hydraulic pressure of around 2500 PSI. The tubes were flared to 37 degrees to be compatible with the JIC fittings. Test fitting of the tube proved successful.

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2026-04-20 12:02

    Looks nice.

  2. #2kshansen2026-04-20 12:50

    Looks nice! Not sure how you worked through it but if I was making one like that I would leave both ends a inch or two longer than normal then trim to length after all those bends! Just being sure there was room to get nut on and do the flare. Would suck to forget to put the nut on and flare the end!

  3. #3westerner2026-04-21 09:53
  4. #4Swetz2026-04-21 11:27

    I am interested in this. In my younger days, the utility that I worked for had the benders as well as the fairing tools. We also had 20' lengths of steel tubing. I need to replace steel line and do not have the equipment to bend and flair. Where did you obtain these tools and how much did they cost. Same for the tubing?? Your work is outstanding....lotta bending there!

  5. #5Rick Frye2026-04-21 12:26

    Amazon.com for bender and flaring tool and McMaster Carr for tubing (6') nuts and backup rings. The bending and flaring tool were not cheap but should last. Note that the flaring tool has a clutch when tightening and when it is turned as far as it can go, I used a wrench to go two more turns to get a proper flair.

  6. #6Swetz2026-04-21 12:29

    Awesome, thank you! Who made the flaring tool?

  7. #7Rick Frye2026-04-21 13:51

    Ridgid. Sorry I did not get the picture uploaded. Here it is.

  8. #8Swetz2026-04-21 13:54

    Awesome, thank you!!

  9. #9Coaldust2026-04-21 15:16

    Parker has a good selection of tube supplies and tools. The 4300 catalog. My local store carried the seamless in 20’ sticks. Excavator boom and stick tubes are ridiculously challenging to ship. Easier to fab new ones on site.

  10. #10Swetz2026-04-21 15:19

    Back in the day, we were getting Parker.