Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

anyone own a 580k ?

case310350 ยท 2009-06-13 19:23

I have a 580k new style transmission. Trying to find out when going up a small incline in third gear the machine will almost slow to a stop. I can't see how case would sell a machine that won't go up a small hill in third, does not seem right. I can spin the wheels in first and second when pushing into a pile. did the transmission test and that passed. So anyone who has owned this machine would like to know if the machine roaded well.

Replies16
  1. #1amunderdog2009-06-13 23:53

    My phase III model does not road well. The newer model serial number beginning with JJG has the Carraro transaxle. They never did road all that well. I was in a discusion awhile back about this topic somewhere. I cannot find the topic now. It got around to me thinking my engine may be getting a bit weak. Yours sounds abnormal for sure. You should maybe try a compression test and or a cylinder leak down test. To rule out a weak motor.

  2. #2gggraham2009-06-14 00:09

    This is typical of the phase 3 K's. They can be extremely sluggish in the winter. I know guys who use to raise them off the ground with the stabilizers and run them in 4th gear at half throttle to warm them up. Do a transmission stall test, a hydraulic stall, then a combined stall. This will tell you whether it's an engine problem or transmission problem. This transmission was not designed for the backhoes it was used on the AG side in tractors. Thats why the brakes failed in backhoes, too much forward and reverse braking while loading. The AG side did not see this problem as much, when you are plowing it's all forward and no need to brake. Also made for low end torque and not for speed.

  3. #3JS580SL2009-06-14 02:20

    My friend has a newer 580Super K, a 94 I think. I ran it over the road a couple times, even down hill or flat ground is was slow as molasses, almost as slow as a cat. His machine is in great shape and had around I wanna say 3300 hours at the time. Pushing though it was fine. The L's and M's have much more power. The K seamed like it was just right. His K would bite in just right, the L's, to much throttle and the tires would break loose and spin easier. I dont have very much time on K's but thats what I did notice when I did run them.

  4. #4bill onthehill2009-06-14 07:06

    I have a 1988 580k. It is not very strong on hills in 3rd gear. I don't have many "slight" hills around here. They are all fairly steep. Mine will run along on level ground fairly well but hills are a slow process running in 2nd gear. It is just the nature of the beast.

  5. #5case3103502009-06-14 08:52

    I don't think the engine is weak. I can red line it in third on a hill easy, and since the torque converter is based on rpm I would think engine power would be ok. I did run the tests on it check out ok. The only think I have not done is clean the sceen on the retuen line to the converter. I don't want to drain 12 gallons of fluid to do it, since I don't know if that would improve things.

  6. #6cgraham12009-06-14 16:25

    I own a '96 590 Super L. I can only hold 4th on a very slight incline or on flat ground, so I do a lot of roading in 3rd, but I still have to shift down to 2nd on any steep hills. It just won't hold it in 3rd. The engine is running up to redline, but it just doesn't seem to get the power to the ground like I think it should.

  7. #7JS580SL2009-06-14 22:20

    The 2000 580Super L we had was a rocket ship. I always ran hills in 3rd some times 2nd depending on steepness, wether the machine struggled or not. Dont like the idea of climbing a hill in higher gears, kinda like tryin to push dirt in higher gears, not good for it. The L never had a problem moving right along on hills or flats. The Series 2 M turbo I run now is no were near as quick. It pushes strong, but it's no speed demon in 3rd or 4th.

  8. #8wldhoss2009-06-14 22:20

    cgraham1 My '97 580 L has the same characteristics as yours as to road power. My case has 8500 hours.

  9. #9JS580SL2009-06-14 22:32

    The 580Super L was fast, the 590SL 2 I ran once was just as fast going down the road , just heavier feeling. Obviously bigger and more power, the 590 seemed to be smoother. wldhoss, We had a Series 1 580L 4wd with a hammer on it sent to our crew a few weeks ago. Had around 3,000hours. I thought the SL's were quick on the road, the little 580L hauled a**. It sounds strange to me to hear about a slow L series....

  10. #10Hillbillybee2009-06-25 09:20

    Phase III How can you tell if it's a Phase 3 trany, will it be marked somewhere?

  11. #11Hillbillybee2009-06-25 09:24

    What years would these have been made? Sorry for the side track, the guy up the road might sell his in the fall and i'm trying to do a bit of homework.

  12. #12MrKomatsu2009-06-25 10:07

    Ive worked on a few in back in the day when they come out with the international harvestor transaxle....the charge pump inthe t/c housing were going out prematurly.....hook up a flow meter and check flow at the time of slowing down....

  13. #13gggraham2009-06-25 18:43

    The phase 3 is easy to identify first the serial number if it is above JJG0020000 it is a phase 3. Second the transmission(forward and reverse) as well as the 4 speed and axle are all one housing. Phase 3 K's had the gear shifter mounted on the side console. The dipstick for the phase 3 transaxle was on the floor just in front of the backhoe control console filled with hy trans oil. Anything before had a separate forward reverse shuttle and a 4 speed transmission. The shuttle dipstick was on the RH side of the machine around the bellhousing area near the starter filled with TCH or Hy Trans. The transmission/axle level was on the floor just in front of the seat it was filled with transaxle fluid or 85w/140 with limited slip additive. All SK have the phase 3 transaxle in them. The 580L and up have a transmission with a separate rear axle. Hope this is helpful in identifying the 580K/SK phase 3 backhoes.

  14. #14Hillbillybee2009-06-26 10:30

    Thanks gggraham, that's a great help. cheers

  15. #1594SKgary2009-07-14 10:29

    HI guys name is gary i have a 94 580SK 4x4 it has 6100 hours on it.my problem is when driving down the road it runs great under a pull wide open it is when you start down a grade and you back off the foot feed alittleit will begin to smoke blue smoke but you can go back to wide open and it will quit smoking.but then it will have a studder/miss in the motor and every time you here it miss you see a puff of blue smoke.if you want more info let me know?

  16. #1694SKgary2009-07-14 10:53

    HI guys name is gary i have a 94 580SK 4x4 it has 6100 hours on it.my problem is when driving down the road it runs great under a pull wide open it is when you start down a grade and you back off the foot feed alittleit will begin to smoke blue smoke but you can go back to wide open and it will quit smoking.but then it will have a studder/miss in the motor and every time you here it miss you see a puff of blue smoke.if you want more info let me know?