I have on my hands a 580L with a seized injection pump. My fuel man said there was no signs of contamination to lock it up and the injectors not stuck, maybe an alignment problem. Looks like the pump gear is running off the cam gear. Has anyone had problems with cam bushing wear to get pump out of alignment?
I can't see how a timing gear issue can cause an injector pump to seize..... What type of pump do you have? There are 3 different types fitted to the L series. Was the machine running & just stopped? Is there a possibility someone has tampered with anything? - The CAV pumps have a timing lock bolt...maybe...
Your fuel man can press the head&rotor apart and tell you where the seizure came from.. Theres a chart that defines every senerio.. I used to see ALOT of Roosa Master/Stanadyne and CAV pumps locked up due to mounting bolts/nuts coming loose.. Reguardless of the pump mdl.. BUT we still need to know.. MAKE SURE you have the proper hold-down bolts/nuts and washer set-up.. & always use blue Loctite... Its uncommon for the drive train to get outta wack.. but it does happen.. the only thing to do there is Remove the timing case cover and use a dial indicator to check the run out on every gear..
After I bought my 580c I noticed a lot of engine oil loss. It was leaking from Injector pump. It had 2 nuts missing and one ready to fall off basically hanging on the fuel lines. I couldn't believe that it started and ran fine. It also had rubber o rings and flat washers to replace crush washers which caused it to leak fuel as well. I replaced crush washers with new ones but one line still drips. Any idea what the torque is for fuel line banjo bolts?
25-30 ftlbs
IF you use the washers that come w/ a CAV pump, you usually wont have that problem.. they are wider and thicker..
I have had a couple Perkins engines with excessive play in the idle gear cause CAV pumps seize, but the worn idle gear bushings were caused by an overloaded hydraulic pump that ran off the same gear. Those cases were not from hitting the hyd. relief valve every now and then but from planters running constantly. The mount bolts on the Case were all tight, shaft to gear tight. The owner had been using the machine, he was going down the drive when it stopped. I guess I will pull front cover and take a closer look at cam shaft instead of another locked up pump. I looked in my library for Cummins book for that engine, but I only had engine operator manual. Anyone know the oil clearance for front cam shaft bushing?