Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are 22 Inch Pads Big Enough

RDJ1966 ยท 2011-02-07 19:08

Found a D6RXL with 22 inch pads. Would we get along ok with them or not working around a farm?

Replies6
  1. #1jwar1002011-02-07 20:09

    should work just fine

  2. #2vapor3002011-02-07 21:42

    really i hate 22 inch pads, i have ran a 6TXL 6TLGP and 6TXW and i prefer the XW think they have 30 inch pads, think an lgp is 36 or 34. I was really surprised at how bad the 22 inch pads were, if the ground was just a lil wet the dozer would sink, and with the wider pads it helps you on steeper slopes.

  3. #3SE-Ia Cowman2011-02-07 23:02

    I have to agree with vapor. I have been on D6's with 24'' 28'' and 30'' pads and the wider pads are better in our area But one of our competitors is running a 6H with 22's and does pretty well We work together with him on jobs some times and have been suprised how good he gets along have never had to pull him out but he has been operating for 50 years he is 72 you mite say he knows a little about pushing dirt and one can learn a lot from working with guys like that. I think for a farm machine you would get along fine. Just dont try to clean out a pond or waller around in the bottom of a creek. I think 28'' pads are my favorite on a D6T or R we have had both 28 and 30'' on xw and a 28 will turn noticeably better than a 30 still keep you up in soft stuff and bite better than a 30'' in hard clay. I also think a 26'' if you can get it on a xl or xr would be great but I dont know if it will fit.

  4. #4RDG2011-02-08 00:22

    The general rule of thumb is to have the narrowest shoe possible without compromising floatation, the wider the shoe the more twisting the chain gets from the extra leverage the shoe width gives it, which in turn means more wear on the pins/bushes, rails & roller flanges.The ground conditions are what needs to be taken into consideration, if its rocky then narrow shoes are best, if its soft then wider shoes would be more suitable. Cheers RDG.

  5. #5LonestarCobra2011-02-08 19:45

    You will be fine with the 22" doing farm/ranch work. I ran a set of them on my D6H and the only time I could tell the difference between them and the 24" ones was when filling reserve pits, and it wasnt that much. I got the 22" ones when I got a bargain at Darr on the whole u/c. I did go back to the 24" when those wore out. I never have needed a XW or LGP where I work.

  6. #6d6peg2011-02-08 22:48

    I run 22's on my 6r and get along just fine