Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are my Bobcat SJC controls working properly?

rohcan ยท 2009-12-02 05:31

I just purchased a new S185 SJC and I am looking for advice from other owners or operators of SJC equipment. The issue that I have is that in standard operating mode the drive to the wheels is very slow (only 1 or 2 km/h). The speed is equal to having the speed control on and set to just under 30%. This is annoying as to operate normally, after starting the machine the speed control setting needs to be switched on and set to 99% (max) in order to use normally not at a snail's pace. It becomes more of an issue when using the speed control with an attachment such as trencher or landscape rake because when the speed is set very slow, say 10% whilst raking backwards, to return to the beginning of each row to begin the next row, instead of just pressing the button to return to standard and repositioning machine at full speed, I need to dial it all the way back to 99%, move, then dial it all the way back to 10% every time. I was told that this is functioning correctly and all SJC machines operate in exactly this manner, but this does not make sense to me for a number of reasons. 1) The various speeds that it can be set at range from 1% to 99% of the standard speed, so standard speed has to be 100%. When standard speed is equal to 29% speed something is not right. It doesn't make sense. 2) Page OI-22, paragraph 5 of the manufacturer's operation and maintenance manual, it states that " When Speed Management is engaged, the machine will travel at the factory default setting of 57% of Standard Travel Speed and the percentage will appear in the display." If my machine travelled at 57% of it's standard speed, it would be virtually stationary, not to mention the fact that when set at 90% it is travelling more than 3 times faster than the maximum standard speed. Is this really the way that it is meant to be operating, or should it be working in the manner in which both the instructions and common sense leads me to believe??? Any-ones thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Replies7
  1. #1KSSS2009-12-02 11:01

    I would hope that would not be normal. Sounds like there is some type of default setting problem. Did you demo this machine before you bought it? Or perhaps go back to the dealer and hop in another and see if it does the same thing.

  2. #2TractorAU2009-12-03 06:23

    It sounds like something isn't right but you haven't told us what throttle you were running the machine at. this makes a huge difference with SJC machines. At idle to mid revs the ratio's in travel speed between the two modes will not be the same because normal mode has the computer/anti stall holding it back until near full revs while speed control mode is pretty much direct. The travel speed in normal mode at full revs should be the same as in speed control mode set to %100 at full revs, if not then there is something wrong.

  3. #3rohcan2009-12-03 09:02

    I will compare the travel speed at full revs in both modes tomorrow and see what happens, Cheers.

  4. #4bobcatmechanic2009-12-03 20:32

    the snail mode turns off power managment system which if pushed far enough will kill the engine when off like a normal bob cat with acs or foot controls. as for travel and with the new software you can go in and set the snail mode to a set pace like 15 or 20 or whatever speed you want when you push the button and it saves it. so contact your local dealer and have them tell you over the phone how to set it because it does not have to go to the dealer ship to have it done. i haven't messed with one with sjc for a while and forgot how to do it i think its hold the push to operate green button for 5 or more seconds then you can scroll through adjust for left right travel speeds for like a trencher for the pull or silt fence installer and set your snail mode default setting if you have new enough soft ware in it otherwise have it updated to the newest and you will have these functions.

  5. #5rohcan2009-12-03 23:42

    Thanks for your thoughts, I understand all that and I have no trouble setting in a new default speed setting for the speed management mode, which is done as you remembered by holding down the push to operate button for some seconds. This then starts the speed management operating mode at your new default speed setting each time it is first turned on, and can be adjusted up or down from there, remaining at the last set speed when speed management is turned on and off, then defaulting back to your new default speed setting when the engine is turned off and restarted. Everything to do with the Speed Management (snail) mode works perfectly. The only issue that I have is with the machine's travel speed NORMALLY. (That is: when in STD mode/ snail OFF). THAT is when the travel speed is painfully slow. Just say you were driving at MAXIMUM speed AND WITH SNAIL MODE SET TO 29%, but switched off, the snail button could be pressed on and off and on and off (Thereby switching back and forth between snail and standard), without the machines speed changing at all, as it goes the same speed at 29%snail as it does at 100%std. What SHOULD Happen in this scenario is that it takes off at around 10Km/h, then throws you thru the windscreen when it instantly changes to 29% snail @ 2Km/h, then vice versa. Hopefully that's a little clearer & easier to understand, not twice as confusing. Thanks to all that have replied. Cheers, Rohcan.

  6. #6bobcatmechanic2009-12-04 18:42

    is sounds like something is wrong with the soft ware or drive motors or pump or pump controller if should speed up when you go to std to a faster pace then 29% its under warranty right take it in and have the dealer check it out problem solved if its under warranty make them give you a loaner or a discount on a rental i would make them give me a loaner

  7. #7rohcan2009-12-09 03:15

    You hit the nail right on the head. It was all about the RPM. I have been using the foot throttle all the time, adjusting the engine speed relative to the amount of power needed at any given time, to save on fuel and wear & tear. The first few weeks I had it I was mostly just moving pallets around and moving piles of soil here to there whilst I learned to use the new controls proficiently. With the machine travelling almost full speed at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle in snail mode, but hardly moving in std mode at over 1/2 throttle, (both with no load on the machine) I just never thought to then rev it even harder, when I could just drop the rpm right back and still go 3 times faster by pressing the snail button. Add to this the fact that the lift/tilt hydraulics are so incredibly FAST virtually from idle, and I find that I am very rarely wanting to be close to full throttle anyway. Of course once I got it into my head that std mode was too slow, whenever I had digging or fast or heavy work to do that called for more throttle, I of course disregarded any thought of using std mode, thereby ruining any chance I had of inadvertantly discovering that the travel speed was fine once over the 80% throttle/rpm mark. So I am happy to say that the machine is functioning properly after all. Incidentally, the machine is lovely to operate, and I have been amazed at the amount of fuel savings that I have achieved with the foot throttle, over the past few months that I have had the machine. Now I just use it at home, so I have only put 80hrs on it so far, and it has used almost 150Ltrs of diesel (with the Moreys diesel treatment additive). The S130 that I was using before I got the S185 was using 80Ltrs over a long weekend and I was working those big levers & eating dust all day, now I just sit in my air ride seat, twiddling the joysticks in air conditioned comfort, with heaps more power and using half the fuel!!