Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 252B 2series

Dodge07around ยท 2009-11-30 20:50

Hey, i'm looking at buying a skid steer before the new year. I really like Cat as far as overall. I do alot of fence, exc., dirt work. will the 252b2 do everything i need it to? also my business partner wants to look at some used ones where as i am set on new, my only reason for the new is because cat has 0% for 42months and no payments for 3 months. I have down payment so used wouldnt be a problem however the used one is $27,000 with 1065hrs on it and new is 0 hrs fully loaded cab, heat, ac, etc for $37,000. No Brainer? I think so anyway. any thoughts?

Replies9
  1. #1catguy2009-12-01 08:43

    can you be more precise on what you will be doing.....?

  2. #2Dodge07around2009-12-01 10:57

    well anything from snow removal, grading, rock work, unloading semis, it will have a post pounder attach on it, augering holes, and backfilling. Now most say for the grading part of it to get a tracked one, however I really dont like the maintence part of the track ones and I hear they are costly to replace the undercarriage. We also sub for a concrete guy taking out all the old pads.

  3. #3KSSS2009-12-01 11:25

    Depending on what your off loading from the semi, I would think any thing in the 2200-2600 ROC range would ideal. I like having a little bigger machine on concrete tear outs and off loading from a semi trailer. The rest of what you list can be done by most any size. You might consider the a VTS system, you can bolt and unbolt the track system from you skid steer if you think you may want tracks. If your set on buying a CAT I would look at Iron Planet. Way better pricing than what you were quoted on a used machine. What CAT dealer do you deal with? Here it is Western States, not sure what part of Wy your in.

  4. #4Dodge07around2009-12-01 12:20

    we're here by laramie so we deal with the cheyenne cat dealer. I have to say i have never driven a case skid steer, what are the controls similiar to? bobcat, cat, ??

  5. #5KSSS2009-12-01 12:40

    There are two options on controls. Standard is the servo controls in H pattern or Pilot controls which can be had in H pattern or ISO (same pattern as standard in CAT and Takeuchi machines). I like them (CASE). Everyone has their favorites. You might want to go to IronPlanet.com and see what the machine you are looking at sells for. It would at least give you an idea of what the current market is giving on used machines like what your considering.

  6. #6Dodge07around2009-12-01 13:51

    hey thanks for that, yeah used price is under what i got quoted. You staying busy so far this winter up there?

  7. #7Dodge07around2009-12-01 14:41

    hey if it says it has ac (c3) does that mean it has heated cab also?

  8. #8KSSS2009-12-01 15:21

    Yea if it has AC it will have heat, but a heated cab does not mean it will have AC. That is pretty universal with all OEMs. We have just a few things to finish up, mostly done. Kinda in that "no money making zone" when the ground is froze but no snow to push or blow yet.

  9. #9Dodge07around2009-12-01 16:17

    I hear ya there, we just got some contracts for the spring. now just waiting on good weather or snow.