Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are there any aftermarkets for machine sheet metal?

fastline · 2020-11-17 15:50

I put this in general because it probably is not machine specific, but we need sheet metal for a Cat excavator. It is flimsy stuff these days and easily damaged. I am really hoping there are other resources other than OEM?

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2020-11-17 18:32

    Your local fab shop.

  2. #2JDCrow2020-11-28 06:52

    ^^^^^ This. My latest machine is missing some tin. Located a dismantled that had a machine that they are parting, but doesn’t seem interested in making money and after sending him parts numbers won’t return my calls. Found a young guy with a plasma table. He took all the measurements and will cut it all (almost all the bottom plates and 2 top plates are gone) for less than $600 Haven’t seen them yet.

  3. #3fastline2020-11-28 11:46

    At least for my "today" needs, all the needed pieces are stamped or formed. Not one piece is simple sheet metal with brake bends. One of the most needed pieces is a cab door. I have looked and looked used, and I have had the same result, people don't call back. I believe this door fits almost ALL the C and D excavators, yet no one has one? The dealer indicates they are made to order only and will take 9 weeks. I have looked and looked at the door to try to save it, but it would take a LOT of work. It functions but......

  4. #4excavator2020-11-28 12:24

    Most used parts places will not sell just a cab door, pretty difficult to sell a cab without a door.

  5. #5fastline2020-11-28 12:37

    That is what I am finding but I can't imagine every cab/door is good for resale. I never could have guessed a door, the most used door on the machine, and subject to damage, could not be found. No aftermarkets, dealers don't stock, used guys don't have, and fabbing one would never work.

  6. #6JD955SC2020-11-28 13:29

    What you need is to find a machine where the cab is being replaced because some idiots drilled holes for a fire extinguisher bracket or a radio mount right into the ROPS structure...usually right beside the decal that shows not to drill or weld on the ROPS structure

  7. #7fastline2020-11-28 13:54

    LOL, I know, right!? I did find that China is making aftermarket doors, complete with glass! I was hoping due to that, someone in the states would be selling them. Haven't found anyone yet!

  8. #8Nige2020-11-28 18:39

    Remember back when ROPS plates were metal and riveted in place instead of the plastic stickers of today.? I once chiseled the plates off 2 brand-new D11’s when I discovered that the customer’s comms contractor had proceeded to weld bosses all over them to install the dispatch system. To say there was some fallout from that would be an understatement. Fortunately the management at the dealership were 100% behind the decision and the customer ended up buying two new ROPS. The old ones got the gas axe treatment. Result...

  9. #9Bls repair2020-11-28 19:29

    Fastline,how much did the dealer say the made to order one would be?

  10. #10excavator2020-11-28 19:42

    Are any excavator cabs certified ROPS?

  11. #11Nige2020-11-28 20:12

    Not usually. FOPS is more normal for an excavator.

  12. #12John C.2020-11-28 20:32

    I believe they are all ROPS since 2017.

  13. #13Nige2020-11-29 09:27

    You’re right. I missed that update but haven’t worked with any >50t excavators for about 5 years until recently. Mining shovels are still only FOPS though.

  14. #14excavator2020-11-30 22:21

    Being an independent I haven't been in anything that new yet.

  15. #15Bls repair2020-11-30 23:18

    New machines don’t breakdown.

  16. #16mitch5042020-11-30 23:19

    Of course not, if they did, nobody would buy them.

  17. #17John C.2020-11-30 23:34

    They do roll over once in awhile and try to take a nap.

  18. #18Nige2020-12-01 11:45

    Maybe it’s the increasing quantity of said events that have prompted the change to ROPS.? I can’t recall back in the day so many excavators going over as happens today, or was it just not so well reported.?

  19. #19excavator2020-12-01 12:19

    It's been happening for years. I have a good friend up in British Columbia who started a business 25 years ago buying and rebuilding smashed excavator cabs. He's built it into a very successful business shipping cabs all over North America. And yes, they are all re-certified before going out the door.