Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are these garbage? Cat 299

DirtyFrenchy ยท 2018-05-02 02:46

These hydraulic lines got pinched during transport. Each is quoted at ~500$ from the dealer, Apparently you can't get them made elsewhere due to the fittings? They belong on a CAT 299. Wondering if there's a bush fix or a way to fix this for cheap? One leads to quick connect cylinder and the other to the tilt cylinder. Will it affect the operation of th functions? Thanks folks

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-05-02 04:59

    A hydro shop should be able to cut-off & reuse the fittings. The only other thing I could suggest is try to open it back up w/ some FLAT JAW pliers, but you stand the chance in making a hole..

  2. #2DIYDAVE2018-05-02 06:27

    I'd take "em to a colliflower store, and have them repair or replace, either way you will be in for less $... If you don't have a colliflower, in your area, ask around, snd see who's good, in your area...

  3. #3td15c2018-05-02 07:58

    My hydraulic shop uses compression fittings to fix steel lines. Cut the bad spot out use two fittings and the length of hose you need. Works good

  4. #4kshansen2018-05-02 08:22

    If you have a good hydraulic shop in your area that would be the place to start. Might need to make a change to the fittings of the mating parts but should be possible. Just make a note of what changes you make so the next guy knows what was changed!

  5. #5Nige2018-05-02 08:35

    That looks like a new machine from the photos..? Warranty considerations for whatever hydraulic function attaches to those lines possibly..? Also if they were damaged during transport does whoever transported them (commercial carrier?) have insurance that you could claim on..? If the above is not a consideration then as others have commented a good hydraulic shop ought to be able to fix you up. Speaking personally I'm not a big fan of welding steel hydraulic lines or welding fittings together to "adapt" connectors - seen too many bush repairs let go....

  6. #6John C.2018-05-02 10:12

    Location shows Yukon. I suspect the only way to fix that out in the bush is to replace the tube with a hose. Unless you have something going onto the quick connect I'd leave that one alone and order a new tube. That looks like someone put a chain over the top to tie down the machine.

  7. #7mikebramel2018-05-02 11:02

    Theyre ORF ends and the tubes usually have tight bends. Cheaper to buy them

  8. #8Welder Dave2018-05-02 20:11

    Couldn't the lines be flared and just put a coupler to join them back together?

  9. #9mikebramel2018-05-02 20:57

    I think if they fit they would be rubbing together. Something that would probably work, I'd try it on my own machine lol

  10. #10DirtyFrenchy2018-05-04 20:58

    Thanks for the input guys! Nige, I'm not sure, not my machine. Repainted before it was bought. Not new. I was thinking trying to lightly tap the bend out? I'll do some investigating regarding hydro shop.