Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Are these real?

CDNDIESELMONKEY ยท 2015-06-15 20:00

So many of you have seen my post of all the old iron at the Wheels in Tracks in Motion event here in Midhurst Ontario. However I went to a display with all old advertising and some of the leaflets were so strange I decided they needed their own post. Are any of these real production ideas? Has anyone seen any of these units in real life? Any input would be mostly appreciated!

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies20
  1. #1mowingman2015-06-15 20:05

    Except for the double-ended Cat 988, I have seen actual photos of all the other machines. So yes, they were produced at some point in pretty much those configurations. Probably not many of each were made would be my guess.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-06-15 22:36

    There is still a few parts of a hystaway setting up at Orr, MN. They made a few of them. Allis made a similar machine. There for sure were side by side double D8's and 9's. DD8s and DD9 Cats were built by Peterson Cat in CA I believe. There is currently a new DD8( side by side engines each powering one track) being built by 3 folks in the San Francisco bay area. It is being built from the original engineering drawings. It should be done for the Best Show on Tracks next year. Will be at Woodland I think but not positive.

  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2015-06-15 22:46

    Don't have a pic, but Terex made a TC-12 cat. Two C-6's side by side each running a track. And who among us remembers when Terex was Euclid?? Mike

  4. #4grandpa2015-06-15 22:52

    I remember when Terex was Euclid.... at the time all scrapers were called Euc's. Does this date me?

  5. #5ol'stonebreaker2015-06-15 23:28

    Right along w/ me, grandpa!! Mike

  6. #6ScottAR2015-06-15 23:58

    The double ended 988 was prototyped in 1967 and 1968. Preproduction units were put out in 1969 and offered for sale in 1970 but pulled almost immediately as the preproduction units had major stress cracking of the frames. Understandable as the the combined capacity of both buckets was 13yds. Looked this stuff up in Caterpillar Chronicle by Eric C. Orlemann.

  7. #7Deere500a2015-06-16 08:01

    HOPTO made a similar crane as the Hystaway. YouTube has videos of the Cat DD9 working.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2015-06-16 10:47

    Around here mining trucks were called Eucs and scrapers were called "carry-alls". I don't know where they "carry-all" came from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid_Trucks

  9. #9JimBruce422015-06-16 13:51

    I want to say that the original tow behind pans made my LeTourneau were called carry-alls, but I can't be sure that's where it came from or the other way around.

  10. #10wornout wrench2015-06-16 17:16

    I saw a Cat 966(C?) with a back hoe attachment on the back of it, would have been in the early 70's You ran the backhoe off the back of the machine so run back and forth between cab and backhoe. Weird looking thing, awkward comes to mind.

  11. #11mowingman2015-06-16 17:49

    I remember back in the 50's and early 60's, people in our part of the country called scrapers, "Pulls". I think that came from the old "Tournapull" namebrand.

  12. #12kshansen2015-06-16 18:22

    Well fromt the looks of some of the rear counterweights on the equipment where I worked I think some of the "operators" think they are running one of those "Rear End Loaders"!

  13. #13kshansen2015-06-16 18:27

    I need to dig out some old books I have, believe there are pictures of some interesting machines that never caught on, some for good reason like one I recall. Believe it was called a "Self Loading Truck". Loader bucket on front and dump body on back. Must have been interesting to run. Loaded bucket went over the top of the trucks cab to dump in to the dump body. Wonder what MSHA would say if we had one of those working out in the quarry Guess I spoke too soon, did a Google search and found this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjBhlR14F9w At least they have a pretty good size cab protector. Looks like it may have been a design borrowed from a dumpster truck.

  14. #14td25c2015-06-16 21:06

    Same in my area mowingman . " Pull " is slang for a scraper . I think your spot on how the term came about . Come to think of it I spotted a video of some old feller moving a Cat Pull .......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whJISCOvLEs&app=desktop Nice ride old-iron-habit :thumbsup

  15. #15mog58582015-08-16 10:30

    there is a A/C grader setup in a museum in portage MB. my 922B book show that you could get a back for it as well. never Sean one in real life but that would be cool other than it's takes a hole yard to true around with. OIH you bean holding out on me if you know where there are some hystaway sitting. road trip lol

  16. #16norite2015-08-16 11:31

    Up here in the GWN off road rigid frame dump trucks are still called "euc's" by many born since they have been superceded by many manuf. and the old Euclid brand is long gone. We call scrapers "scrapers", seldom seen up here, too much rock and swamp. In fact the only time I saw scrapers used in this area was to construct a local golf course.

  17. #17pwking132015-08-28 11:22

    Haven't seen any of the others, but the DD9 was built and used to clear brush on the King Ranch here in Texas.

  18. #18pwking132015-08-28 11:58

    Cat also made a D9 configuration where they were in tandem, operated by the front dozer operator. We used D9's pushing in tandem pusung 657's removing overburden in CONOCO's uranium mines in south Texas.

  19. #19dirthog2015-08-28 12:59

    Know the AC grader is real the Game Commission or Conservation Dept. here in Pa. had several of them we used to work on in our shop. One of the local coal companies had a couple of the D9 set up like that and a couple of side by side ones too.

  20. #20pwking132015-08-28 13:03

    Here's a couple of shots of a Twin D8.