Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Asphalt grinder, help me remember

skyking1 ยท 2020-12-03 00:08

I was on a job 20 years ago, and this machine was a big wheel cutter about 3' wide and 7'~8' diameter, you drove it from out front and i think it had a detroit in it. I remember the operator's station was low and out in front of the wheel. I got the impression it was old then, and I have never seen one since.

Replies8
  1. #1skyking12020-12-05 19:38

    OK I got closer, I think they called it a rock saw.

  2. #2AzIron2020-12-05 21:55

    Sounds like a Cleveland wheel trencher man those are some ditch digging machines when handed correctly

  3. #3skyking12020-12-05 22:06

    thanks. I was working on the interstate and they said, "follow that line and cut the asphalt" I had no clue but it had a seat and burned diesel so I was down for that

  4. #4AzIron2020-12-05 22:11

    Well I never heard of a Cleveland cutting asphalt but they were out of buissness long before my time my old man had one in the 80s doing water lines But rocksaws are a different monster all together but they will slice right through certain forms of solid rock I have never heard or seen a saw wheel on a trencher till the lat 90s i doubt a chain drive Cleveland would run a saw well at all

  5. #5skyking12020-12-05 22:20

    It was not the cleveland, it was different, on tires, similar to the vermeer cc135 https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...uipment/for-sale/196240243/1994-vermeer-cc135 I don't remember having to go back and dig the other side, but maybe I did and it was more like that vermeer.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2020-12-06 00:08

    Your original post stated the wheel was 3 feet wide and that threw me. I've seen machines similar to the one you linked working on highways cutting trenches in concrete pavement.

  7. #7skyking12020-12-06 00:27

    I think it was a little over a foot, maybe 18" , My recollection is improving. I came back and dug out 1000' of trench drain backing up I-5 northbound and loading trucks on the other side of the jersey barrier going southbound with a JD70 with the worst rotec i had experienced.

  8. #8_Weldman_2020-12-07 00:47

    So why are we going down memory lane, why are we are in this hand basket and where are we going?