Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ASV PT100 lifting issue in HI Flow

Mulcherdude · 2024-07-22 08:01

Purchase at auction an 2008 ASV PT100 with a Fecon mulching head with 2800 hours. Everything seems to work as it should except the unit will not lift when the Hi Flow is engaged to power the mulcher head. I’m suspecting a hydraulic issue. I haven’t serviced the unit yet and plan to do a complete service of all the fluids and filter as well as an other maintenance items. Does anyone know if these units are prone to pump failure or are there other possible issues I should investigate first.

Replies10
  1. #1L3akaL32024-08-04 08:32

    Sorry, I'm hoping to get to where you are but I'm still trying to get my PT-100 going. (See my old posts). From what I've read, hydraulics are pretty good on these. The weak spots all have to do with the complicated undercarriage. Boggles etc. Most CTLs have simple fixed setup for working on level construction sites vs ours that is better in the woods and tough terrain. If lift works okay without hi flow on, then I'd suspect quantity issue so if it were me, I'd start with filters, and probably even the one inside the hydraulic reservoir.

  2. #2L3akaL32024-08-04 08:37

    While I have you here. I'm new to this and I just got my PT-100 almost done that I have been rebuilding. What does yours sound like, feel like when you rev it up to speed? I'm getting a vibration but I'm new so don't know if it is something wrong or just normal. I came here to start a new thread because I'm suspecting previous owner put the motor mounts in upside down when they changed the engine and maybe that's why I'm feeling vibration. Engine runs smooth so it's either mounts or shaft to hydraulic pump is misaligned, out of balance or something maybe.

  3. #3old timer2024-08-04 13:04

    Hi Mulcherdude. I have not seen many pump problems with the PT100's. Change all the filters and the hydraulic oil to start, (I would split the case drain filter to check for trash from the mulcher) then do a flow test, i have had to adjust flow on a lot of them. I have seen more hydraulic problems with attachments than with the machine. Hope this helps

  4. #4Mulcherdude2024-08-04 20:14

    Thanks for the info. I don’t feel anything unusual when operating at any throttle position. Nothing I’d call an abnormal vibration at least. Haven’t had much time I the seat yet though.

  5. #5Mulcherdude2024-08-04 20:17

    Thanks, I’ll Start there for sure. I don’t have a flow meter to test flow rate. I do have pressure gauges and looked online for a flow meter but the price was more than I could justify. Is there an another way to do a flow test?

  6. #6old timer2024-08-07 20:06

    Hi Mulcherdude, just to confirm you have a TEREX PT100 F or G (white)? This is the process for that one. ASV (yellow) is a little different. Without a flow meter, you are going to have to rely on pressure tests. All tests are at operating temp. Start with charge. The test port is located in the engine compartment just inside the right lift tower. should be around 400 PSI. Next is AUX system. locate the test port (plug) on the aux valve, port is between the high flow and boom (lift spool) Install a 500 psi gauge and start the machine DO NOT TOUCH ANY CONTROLS! that should read about 220 PSI That is pump standby Remove that gauge and install a 5000 psi gauge. Restart the machine with NO attachment and activate Hi flow, should read 3700 +/- 100 psi, lo flow should read 3300 +/- 100 psi Same test port, hoist up to the stops should read 3300 +/- 100 psi. Bucket over relief is the same. If any of the readings are wrong, post it here. mains are easy, adjusting standby and lo/hi flow basically sucks (time consuming), and i would bring in a hydraulics guy if the charge needs adjusting (have to shim the charge relief, that is in the hydrostatic pump) If you have a yellow ASV i can dig up that process as well, Just finished off one a few months ago, have to check my notes Good luck

  7. #7Mulcherdude2025-06-01 10:25

    Hi Old Timer, finally back on the Asv pt100 project. I do have the yellow 2008 ASV PT100 forestry mulcher. It has about 2800 hours on the meter. So far I have replaced all the filters in the hydraulic system including the the one in the tank. Also cleaned and inspected the fluid and tank for any signs of metal and haven’t seen anything. I also saved a sample to send for testing. Still have the same issue with the lifting arms when running the mulcher head. I’d like to test the pressure in the system you described if you’re able to locate that procedure. If the pressure test out correctly I’m guessing my next step is to find someone that can do the pressure test. I had considered just replacing the pump but it’s expensive and not sure if it would be the auxiliary pump or the tandem 45cc series 40 pump. I’m new to this type of equipment so still learning. Can the pumps be rebuilt? Thanks for any advice.

  8. #8Mulcherdude2026-01-29 17:14

    Thanks for the info. All the pressures checked out. I’ve pulled the loader valve to clean and replace seals. It’s a Husco 6000 series. I’m suspecting the problem may be with the load sense spool valve section. I can find a diagram to confirm if the spool should have a seal of some sort on spool itself. There isn’t one on it now but no way to tell if there should have been. Everything looks good on the valve body and the spool, spring looks good, there is a small solid pin that is in the opposite end from the spring. Issue could also be with the lift spool section. I did replace the seals on all the other spools. Do you have any thoughts or do you know if the load sense spool should have an o-ring and backup seal on it the same as the others?

  9. #9Andy FitzGibbon2026-01-31 10:51

    You could inquire directly to ASV as well. They have been very helpful with knowledge and technical documents for my SR80. Just email them through the corporate website.

  10. #10Mulcherdude2026-02-01 12:23

    Thanks, I’ll give that a try.