(Enough of the silly thread title. As of 11/21, I changed it to something more appropriate.) Ok, this has nothing to do with Pineapple Upside-down Cake, but after the harrassment I got about not posting the excavator thumb pictures in a timely fashion, I figured I'd just be contrary and confuse the issue as much as possible. This is November, and we did it in August, so I guess it's about time to post them. I might go back later and change the title of the thread, but for now... Here are the pics of the new manual thumb being attached to the Kobelco 70 excavator. First, remember to disconnect the battery before welding on the machine. I don't know whether we'd have fried the machine's little electronic brains, but why take chances? To make the angle easier to weld on, and make the thumb rest better on the underside of the dipper, we place the machine up on a little bit of a bank, and lowered the boom. The instructions called for the thumb to be positioned one inch from the ears of the bucket, when it's in its most curled position. The welder had a scrap of 1"X1" stock on his truck, and it worked just fine for keeping the spacing correct.
Once the thumb was tacked at the bottom end, it had a little bit of a gap at the top end. We found a couple scraps of lumber, and used those to wedge the thumb down tight against the underside of the dipper. Once the thumb itself was attached, the only thing left was to attach the holder for the arm, in the stowed position. Simple procedure. The whole operation didn't take long at all. On Edit: Oops. I should've turned that last one 90 degrees. lean over, and you'll get the idea...
Welding in T-shirts bad bad bad were you guys trying to get a sun tan Just giving you a bad time :yup I guess a manual thumb is better than no thumb my feelings excavators should come standard issue with a hydraulic thumb. Once your used to having a hydraulic thumb having a machine with out is tough. You weld that thumb on with 7018 and grind the paint off the places you were welding on ?
That wasn't me doing the welding on this job. I was too busy taking pictures. I learned that suntan lesson the hard way. I was all red on my arms the next day, and couldn't figure out how I'd gotten so much sun there! Yes, if I recall correctly, the directions specified a 7018 rod, and they did grind the paint off.
Arc burn hurts I knew welders that used to weld all day with their shirts off they were red as a lobster. Not for me yes you sweat like a pig but got to wear coveralls with long sleeves. You might be adding some piping and a hydraulic cylinder to operate that thumb :bouncegri
Welding in t-shirts, not that much fun.
Well I suppose better late than never!. Thank you for posting those pics....and do you have a recipe for banana flapjacks...cause I want to put a front bucket on as well Oh Brother...... :spaz
Why did you go with the solid thumb instead of a hydrolic thumb; besides $$$$?
It's not my machine, and it's not my $$$, but you hit the nail on the head. It's a thumb. And it was relatively inexpensive for the the added capability it brought. The machine doesn't get much work that calls for a thumb, so the solid one was a good compromise between cost and usefulness.
No recipe for banana flapjacks, no, but if you'd like an Integrated Toolcarrier front, my wife has a recipe for "Bananas Foster French Toast" that's a little more work, but really really good. (Of course, as you posted in Lonely Friday, you've got the IT concept covered already...) :yup
That is the exact thump I put on my EX60. USA attachments out of NC. The cost of that thump was alot cheaper than others. I have used it alot and it was worth every penny. Hydraulic would be nice but no plumbing on my machine for it. Now I want one for the PC150 and have plumbing for it on that macine maybe hydraulic.:yup
Do it all the time. Why because I always forget where I put my welding jacket.
Thats the same thumb as ours on the same excavator as ours:thumbsup Its a nice thumb for the money, it was delivered to us for half of what a local dealer wanted for one. I welded it on myself, its no hydraulic thumb, but it sure beats the hell out of none at all.:yup
Try welding with a paper mask, no gloves and open toed sandals. I forgot where the picture came from... sorry.
its probably the only time your mask could catch fire:yup but i mean, a PAPER mask? WHAT?:beatsme
Jeff, doesn't that picture of the fabrication of your OROPS belong in the "HOMEMADE OROPS" thread. :lmao :bouncegri :cool2
Yes it does, but I'm more concerned about how he acquired those pictures. :nono I would've worn my steel toe sandels had I known I was being photographed.