I got the Titan backhoe thumb and clamped it on for test fitting. I have a couple of questions: 1) I positioned the thumb’s pivot point down close to the pivot of the bucket, I’ve heard that’s right but when looking at it, there doesn’t seem like much would fit between thumb and bucket. Wouldn’t it be better to have some space (6-12”) between thumb & bucket when at 90 degrees to stick? 2) there is a big bead of weld running down the center of my dipper arm that’s keeping the thumb from laying flat & tight against the dipper arm for welding. What’s the best way to remedy this and get a tight fit, hammer the bead/seam down? I’d rather not grind the bead . Thanks!
That looks good where you have it. You could raise it more. I would. The higher it goes up, the closer the end of the thumb tine will get to the end of the bucket teeth. Don't do any grinding on the weld bead on the boom. Grind a groove in the thumb mount. Be sure to have pins in the mount before you do any welding. The heat of the welding will distort it if you don't. It will anyway, but the pins will keep to a minimum.
Thanks Tinkerer . Just to clarify, are you saying you’d raise the position of the thumb pivot point higher on the arm, away from the bucket pivot ? Or, do you mean you’d change the angle of the thumb so it’s tilted more towards the bucket and not 90 degrees to the dipper arm like I have it in the picture? Thx
the mounting bracket a couple of inches higher on the dipper. It won't make any difference as to how much you can get between the thumb tine and bucket. Consider converting it to hydraulic operation. You will be amazed at the added versatility it will make. Stowing and deploying thethumb manually sucks big time !
Small steps. I read your posts on the hydraulic conversion and I’m in full agreement that’s the way to go. But I got to get thru this first.
And when you knock something out of alignment by a fraction of an inch and your stow pin holes don’t line up anymore…….. oh wait that’s what I found out today with mine. Doh
You could use a bolt that is smaller in diameter to put the thumb in the stowed position. If it becomes a problem in the working position the mount bracket holes can be enlarged enough to weld in bushings made from heavy wall pipe.
Tink, honestly never thought of the smaller bolt idea. Appreciate the idea. I’m only off by 1/8 inch or so, but enough to not let the pin go in.
The Titan 36” manual thumb comes with an extra U bracket for stowing the support arm but it seems like it might be easier to do without it because of the weight of the pieces and difficulty holding, aligning, inserting pins. I have no instructions so I could be missing something and wanted to check with you all. Stow procedure using extra bracket: 1. Remove both pins from support arm 2. Lift & Re-pin support arm in stow-bracket 3. Fold up thumb against support arm and insert pin to lock in place. Done. Stow procedure without using extra bracket: 1. Un pin the support arm and store in cab. 2. Fold up thumb and lock in place with pin. Done. I guess it doesn’t hurt to weld on the extra bracket so it’s there if I decide to use it. I suppose it does prevent the arm from getting lost. The one picture below shows the thumb on the dipper arm , in stowed position with the supporting arm not included.
I always removed the link when my thumb was manual was stored. FWIW which isn't much.
I set mine with the bucket fully curled and the thumb attached to the stow bracket. That way if I want to stow it I just curl the bucket all the way and the pin is close to lined up. With pin wear and use it's not as close as it was but I've got so use to leaving it at 90 degrees I don't stow it anymore.