I'm toying with the idea of fitting up an auger drive on a case 580 sr (Australia) for post hole digging. Has anyone ever fitted up the pipe work from scratch, cost etc. What problems were encountered. What kind of lever has to be installed in cab to work it? The hoe has bolt holes on the boom to install pipework by the look of it. Any advice appreciated.
You will just need a standard two way aux kit. You will have to add a valve, control, and your lines. I would probably start with case to see what they offer.
Quick couplers on the bucket cylinder and run it that way is one idea.
Yup
Thanks for the replies, food for thought.
I vote for using the bucket cylinder lines, very low cost, not really intrusive. If you want to make it a bit slicker there are some three port ball valves for use on excavators you could put on, just hook the auger lines up, turn the knobs and go.
I, too, attempted to over complicate an auger on a hoe; my local JD parts guy did some research for me, and found that the Manufacturer's recommended method is to use the bucket curl lines to provide hydraulic power. The best part of this is that if you corkscrew something, just move your lever the other way, and the auger reverses to free itself.
Seems the simplest way I agree but would losing the curl function cause any problems with angles of the auger or do you just rely on it "hanging " vertical and pushing gently down with the boom? I've never used one before.
I've never seen an auger with anything other than a single pin that they hang from, they're not built for any type of bending force. If you need to go in at an angle you just stick the point in the ground and then move the arm to where you have the starting angle you need in my limited experience. Cheers
any thoughts from the croud about fabing up a universal skidsteer attachment plate for the Backhoe boom and aux hydraulics to run...skid auger...breaker...etc..