I'm having difficulty with the brake on my AW 200 it only seems to work on fairly level ground, it won't hold on an incline. It only has the one brake infront of the cab. any suggestions? Thanks
Are the brakes ajusted up ? Or oil leak on brake shoe? that's where I would start.
One of the fears my coworkers installed in me when training on an AW 200 was "be ready to drop the blade to slow the machine down if it jumps out of gear on Crow Hill". Crow Hill is a 6% grade west of Denver on US 285 that we traveled frequently when roading the graders for county road maintenance work. No way was that drive line brake going to stop you. I say it is a design flaw and never trust it. I will also say that we never had a run-away-grader when I was there, however that is the stuff nightmares are made of.
The brakes on the old Austins are some of the worst ones ever used. When going downhill, you must go slow, always go in a low gear and be ready to jump on them hard if you need to stop. Do not ride the brakes as they will overheat quickly and you will not be able to stop, we had one come down a steep hill and nearly killed the operator. They will not stop.....
You can change your drum brake to the disc system AW used in the 80's, It works much better.
Can you provide more info on the disc brake - a link maybe?!?!
Good morning all, I realize this is a very old thread but thought I’d try. I’m a new owner of a A/W super 300, can anyone tell me where I can find what type of replacement brake shoes or the disc conversion set up. Thank you for any information.
Oops, it’s a 1968