Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Back to school, need information from actual operators so I can get govfunded.

BC_CAT ยท 2012-06-19 14:05

Live in B.C. Canada. Going through a career change as technology as outpaced me my skills. Would appreciate if you could answer these questions so I can get funded by BC Gov't to go get excavator training. Contact Name: your forum handle will suffice. Contact Position: ie. Excavator Operator 1) Why did this type of work interest you? 2) What skills and personal qualities are necessary for this job? 3) What do you like about your job? 4) What do you dislike about your job? 5) What training/education/certification do you have? - what school did you attend if applicable? - Would you recommend the course? 6) How did you get your current position? (Training/Certification/Qualifications/Promotion) - How long have you been in the field?

Replies18
  1. #1Haddy2012-06-19 16:18

    You don't need any funding . You got to start off where very else does , at bottom ( It might not be operatoring any machine to start with ) and work your way up . Future employers will have a lot more respect for you . I would employ someone who had worked their way up over someone who had done a course any day

  2. #2buckfever2012-06-19 17:47

    ^^^^ agree. The best operators have earned there strips in a ditch with a shovel. Remembering What it's like working the shovel and thinking of how to make it easier on them will make you a more efficent operator as well as get the job done faster most of the time.

  3. #3BC_CAT2012-06-21 13:29

    I appreciate what you guys are saying, and its not the 1st time I've heard that either, but I've applied now to well over 75 companies and have asked to start as a laborer with the goal of becoming a heavy equipment operator... so far I've had 0 replies. If some one can help with my questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. BC_CAT

  4. #4SeaMac2012-06-21 17:51

    I have to respectfully disagree with those who claim the "only" way to earn respect and work your way up to Operator status is via the "manual" excavator. I went to a very good school here in Florida 27 years ago and the instructors were phenomenal guys, old-timers all - like horse drawn grader old timer - and they cared a great deal about teaching the correct and safe way to be an Operator. I can't tell you how many times the little hints, tricks and suggestions they taught has saved my butt. As for respect, not to sound the braggart but I can hold my own against anyone who came up in the industry via the "old fashioned" method and because of my schooling I would venture to say that I am a safer Operator to work around. My instructors pounded safety into our heads every minute of every hour of each and every day we were there. So, BC_CAT you do what's right and comfortable for you. You're right, in this day and age you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning twice and surviving than getting an entry level job in any industry. However, I find it somewhat interesting that you would be asking us for information that you need to furnish to get funding. Aren't you the one who will be going to school and why would we be filling out your application? Do tell, please!

  5. #5BC_CAT2012-06-21 18:11

    The BC Gov't requires me to get input from both employees and employers before they will consider my application... if I do not fill in this information they will not even consider my application. Its $4000 that I will not have to pay out of my own pocket towards the $10,000 cost of the course.

  6. #6SeaMac2012-06-21 18:15

    Okay, will information from Operators in the US be acceptable? It just seems rather odd but I'm game, I will answer your questions later, right now it's time for key lime pie.

  7. #7Haddy2012-06-21 19:02

    Seamac , you are right as there is always exceptions and I was talking generally . Do the people running the course set you up with a job when you have completed it ? $10k and the time you put into the course could end up with no result . I will answer some of your questions too if it helps but I'm in New Zealand and don't know if my answers will help you . PS I still end up on a shovel sometimes and I own the business .

  8. #8buckfever2012-06-21 20:03

    I'm not saying starting as a ditch man is the only way. Just the way we generaly do it around here. Going to school is a good place to start and with the right instructors they will tell you tricks of the trade you can't get anywhere else. Also if you can find the time and the opertunity go talk to some of the old hands. They will show you things and open your eyes to stuff you never hear of or noticed before. Pluessome of the stories they have will boggal your mind.

  9. #9SeaMac2012-06-21 21:29

    You too huh Haddy, I spent the better part of my day operating the "manual" excavator and I too own the business, kinda sucks doesn't it, but then again dirt won't move itself. As for the school I went to yes, they did offer placement assistance and oddly enough it actually cost $10k. The difference was that my family was already involved in construction then we decided to diversify into civil work. So in essence I already had a job but I do know plenty in my class were placed but that was in 1985 when construction here in Florida seemed unstoppable.

  10. #10SeaMac2012-06-21 21:39

    Hey buckfever, I tell ya what, some of my instructors had some duesys for stories, some of them worked on the Alaska Pipeline and apparently that was one spectacular project. Our motor grader instructor could have and should have been a stand-up comedian. Ahh the good ole days, I miss 'em. But I agree, seek out the seasoned Operators the "real" one's are a dying breed and they are always willing to share what they know and pass it on down the line.

  11. #11SeaMac2012-06-21 21:41

    What's the deal BC_CAT, are Operators outside of Canada able to help with your application? If not there are plenty in here from "up" there. Let us know and I have a feeling we'll be glad to help.

  12. #12BC_CAT2012-06-21 22:40

    For sure, operators outside of Canada can respond.. just need some feedback to the 6 questions I posted. Thanks!

  13. #13BC_CAT2012-06-21 22:44

    The school I'm interested in is IHE school in Winfield, BC. They have a 90% success rate of people getting work after taking their course within 3 months of the course. I spoke with 1 person who has taken the course and he was offered a job before he completed the course. There is a lot of work here where I live in the lower mainland... mostly road building and construction... I'm thinking of going up to Fort Mac in Alberta after I complete the course.

  14. #14SeaMac2012-06-21 23:25

    Questions answered. Contact Name: SeaMac, Senior Member, Heavy Equipment Forums Contact Position: General/Electrical Contractor 1) Why did this type of work interest you? Family business decision to diversify from General/Electrical Contracting into the allied industry of Civil Construction. 2) What skills and personal qualities are necessary for this job? Common sense, hand-eye coordination, mechanical apptitude, honesty, dependability and a good work ethic. 3) What do you like about your job? I have always enjoyed building things which will stand the test of time. 4) What do you dislike about your job? At present there is not much work to be had and it has become a constant struggle to find what little work there is. 5) What training/education/certification do you have? 4-year Electrical Apprenticeship, Bachelors Degree in Construcion Management, Heavy Equipment Operator's Certificate - what school did you attend if applicable? University of Florida, 1989, Gainesville, FL. National Training, 1985, Orange Park, FL - would you recommend the course? Absolutely, for those seeking to become Professional Heavy Equipment Operator's it is a great place to start. 6) How did you get your current position? I worked extremely hard from a very young age always seeking to improve my skill-sets and further my education. I took over the family business in 1997. - how long have you been in the field? 35 years General/Electrical construction, 27 years Heavy Equipment Operator, 15 years General/Electrical Contractor.

  15. #15Haddy2012-06-21 23:58

    OK BC CAT . I will answer best that I can 1 - I grew up on a farm and anything to do with machinery spun my wheels . 2 - As far as skills go , there are many that are hard to describe . You have got to be good with machinery but also be able to look at a job and figure out the best way to get the job done cause the boss or foreman isn't always around to show you everything . Personal qualities - you need a can do attitude , you got to be able to work and think . Sounds so simple it is stupid but you would be amazed at how many people can't 3 - Working outside and different locations most of the time . Job satisfaction 4 - I haven't really got anything that I dislike about it 5 - Left school at 16 - School of hard knocks really - Yes 6 - Worked bloody hard - Started current business about 10 years ago but been involved in operating/owning machinery about 35 years Hope this helps . Haddy

  16. #16BC_CAT2012-06-22 13:06

    Thanks for your honesty SeaMac.. I have 2 of 3 completed.. anyone else? I need 1 more set of answers.

  17. #17BC_CAT2012-06-22 15:20

    Haddy, thank you for your answers. this completes this topic.

  18. #18SeaMac2012-06-22 15:45

    You're welcome BC, good luck.