Hello all, I started digging my basement yesterday. It is a 45x32. It is a walkout on a slope so it will go from 0ft to about 5ft on the deepest end. I started digging the perimeter as someone suggested I do first, but haven't gotten very far. Once I dig the perimeter, if this indeed is correct, how should I proceed? I'm assuming start from the shallow end and pull the dirt to me and them turn around and move it with the front end. I don't have access to a dump truck or another machine. Any tips would be appreciated.
I wouldn't dig the entire perimeter first. Especially if you are using a T/L/B. I would start at the high side of the slope (deepest). Dig a trench to grade the full length (45 feet). Don't forget to over-dig the basement at least two feet to get between the concrete forms and the excavation. Put the first windrow of dirt on the outside of the basement. Lay the next windrow of dirt on the down slope side and then use the front-end loader to remove the windrow and pile it where ever you want it. You are fortunate to have a walk-out basement. They are really convenient to excavate and do the final floor grading.There are many different ways to do the excavation, but this the way that I have done it.
Here's the finished product. 25 hours.......she did good until the end and now the right brake pedal goes all the way to the floor...
YIKE's ya flip it over! Rick
u say right brake went. every piece of equipment i have been on has lost the right brake first. can anyone explain this.
I dug my foundation last summer but it is a monolithic slab. I dug into a slope about 9 feet at the highest and about 100 ft wide by 100 ft long, much like what you would do with a walkout. I had to dig everything with the hoe first, setting it in a pile, then move it to the low side with the bucket. Lots and lots of rocks. I smoothed the whole thing out with a Ratchet Rake, (Worked perfect). I had expected to be able to drive into the bank I created and scoop up a bucket, not a chance. Here is a link to a slide show where you can see some of the shots of how much dirt I moved. http://john.bitbun.com/nc%20house%20build.html
nice job well done trevor b
The description "right brake went out" can mean a couple of different things. As in, worn out or broken. I have noticed that most operators favor either the left or right pedal when using it for stopping. You can tell by the amount of wear on the pedal. It looks like you did a nice job on the basement. I envy your scenic view.