I'm just wandering what your experiences have taught you about how important it is to stop before shifting direction. I have a 1992 JD 310D with the old self contained reverser. I believe this reverser was also used on the old Case. With oil changed regularly how tough are they?
Deon, If memory serves correctly the reverser's had a Borg-Warner tag on them. I remember them to be durable. There is also a screen in little sump pan. The torque converter can be drained also.
I have a 1992 310d. I just changed my reverser fluid and cleaned out sump and screen on filter. I think they are pretty tough but I come to a complete stop with any machine when changing direction. Just think you have 15,000 pounds moving in one direction then go another. I throw mine in neutral and apply brake to a complete stop before changing direction. I try to baby everything so it lasts.
Coalruiz, I don't remember seeing a Borg-Warner tag but I did the oil change and say the screen in the sump pan and also replaced the oil in the torque converter. You can see the front tires jump when you shift into reverse even when your stopped. I don't know how important it is to come to a complete stop before shifting. I'm sure it's probably best though.
we had cases growing up and never had a problem....and as a youngster running one i thought it was great fun to tap the brake slam it in to forward and pop a wheelie for a few dozen feet.....looking bake i was a little wild but they never gave any problems. we ran them from new to 5000-7000 hours.
I have a JD 310c. The universal joint yoke (18 teeth) has alot of slop. I suspect the reason is not stoping before directional shifting. Waiting for new part to arrive. Universal joint were fine.
hankobc1, Are you changing only the yoke or the yoke and the shaft? Igammon, I'm glad to here you can do that without breaking anything but I'm not going to try. I watched one guy with a 310C go down the road wide open 4th gear in forwards and slap it into reverse while holding throttle to the floor and hold it there until the machine was going wide open in reverse. He said someone at the local JD dealership told him the reverser was indestructible. I believe he has something missing up above.
lobo, How many hrs. do you have on your 1992 310D? Do you find the brakes don't stop as well when machine is cold? I find I need to apply more pressure when cold and almost too much pressure all the time. On the other-hand the brakes are quite good if I need to stop quickly while moving down the road but it seems hard to bring to a complete stop will moving slow. Seems you need to wait a bit for the oil to wear off the brake pads and that while traveling fast the oil wears of faster and brakes work better. Do you have the same symptoms? Another question, do you ever need to pump the pedal to bring the pedal up or are they always up high and firm on the first press?
Deon, Changing the yoke and universal joints. Shaft is fine. Don't need to pump the brake pedal. The OM has instructions to adjust the break pedal.
hankobc1, What about your 310C, how many hrs on machine. Also what do you think about what I was describing to lobo about pedal pressure needed to stop? I already did the adjustment. I don't always need to pump up the pedal. Sometime it has leaked down and other times not. I think I need to replace the check valves.
Deon, I never have to pump the brakes but I do have to apply alot of force to stop. She will stop very fast if needed and force is applied. That is why I put her in neutral while coming to a stop. Easier on my leg and on her. When in neutral brakes do not have to over power drive forces.
Deon, My 310c has 7000hrs. Don't yet have braking problems, Lobo technique shifting to netural is a good one, I have done that in the past, but not constantly.
New member here, hope I do good. Our 310D has 12000 hours on it and never had reverser troubles, but we don't abuse it. As to coming to complete stop when changing direction. We do all the time, let up on speed accerater, kinda roll to stop, shift and slowly speed up. don't use brakes much. Have changed fluids numerous times. Only troubles we have had with drive train, snap ring on outboard final let go, had to take to dealer on that one. Anybody have trouble with drive coupler in front that drive hydraulic pump. Splines worn,rusted on coupler, stripped. You have dead horse then, nothing works. Pulled the weights in middle of street, dropped, slid the pump forward, new coupler on pump. Installed a grease zerk on coupler at splines, so would keep lubed and not rust. Has lasted 10 years. must have solved problems. Have lots of time on this machine and worked on about everything, need advise, holler.
Welcome dondozer, hope you enjoy as much as I have. I know what you mean about rusted splines. I had to replace a pto on one of our boom trucks because of rust. I always clean and never seize splines but grease fitting is a good idea. Again welcome
Anyone know what a good John Deere backhoe for clay excavation would be? I know an excavator would be the way to go but a backhoe will have to suffice for now. Thanks!