Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe issues , help if you can

wingnut ยท 2009-07-13 01:19

Heres what Im working , 1984 J.C.B 1400 B . The steering quit working and found the source of the problem . The problem is the male splines on the steering shaft (right below the rubber connector ) going into the steering control unit are just spinning inside the female splinned part of the control unit . What my question is , is there sopposed to be a rubber bushing , or something in the female section or is it sopposed to be metal to metal ? When I took it apart there was nothing there except jb weld that had came loose and broke (not my doing some one elses fix before I got the hoe ) , I am in a bind so I jb welded it back for the moment to finish the job that I am on , then when I get it home I want to fix it right . I pulled up some info. on the web , but its not giving a lot of details , so I thought Id ask someone here to see if you have been there , or done that . :notworthy Thanks in advance , Wingnut

Replies1
  1. #1Phil2009-07-13 07:59

    I had the same thing happen to my forklift. I think I ended up welding an old 6-point socket to the female coupler and a bolt-head or nut to the male end of the shaft. Or maybe I ground the male end to fit the 1/2"square hole in the other end of the socket, can't remember. Phil