Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe stability?

bondjaydubayoo ยท 2025-04-04 19:53

So I started at a new company and they are larger then my old job of 12 years in the concrete construction field where I filled every position and have gained many skills. But at my new job I am back to proving my worth and having trouble doing so with it being a larger company with very slow work processes and communication co-workers. So we had an issue with the operator where he was tearing up asphalt and concrete in the street in a very nice community on a freshly paved road and he slid the machine causing the backhoe to scrape a 3 foot by 8 section of damaged asphalt. It's been a discussion at work on how to avoid this from happening again. Of course one of the foreman suggested placing rubber under the bucket when excavating. It's a good idea but to me not the best. What I noticed with a lot of these operators at this company is they are very slow and also when excavating they barely extend their outriggers down. To the point where it's just barely lifting the machine. Being new I just bite my tongue and I do not speak up, but in my mind I know if you fully extended the outriggers down it would give you more lifting power and help the machine position to lift up instead of pulling back forcing the machine forward. Am I right to understand this force in action and they are not adept in understanding the machines mechanics, or am I just getting frustrated for no reason? An should I speak up and take the risk of challenging these guys at a job they have been at much longer? Can't help to feel like this company is silly with lots of down time and days off from light rain. Having a inner dilemma if I am just trying to have my cake an eat it too or I am right in thinking they are a Mickey mouse club and I ll find more prideful work in a more competent company? Thoughts?

Replies6
  1. #1skyking12025-04-04 20:26

    Pride goeth before the fall. That should be your last concern. That you are here asking us says a whole lot about it. Take a look at what happens when you lift a backhoe up with the outriggers. They go down and IN. If they are working on fresh asphalt, that is going to mar the surface right there. Soft asphalt is easy to screw up. If you leave some weight on the tires, the brakes will help with dragging the machine and also distribute the weight. Going slow helps with avoiding dragging the machine and damaging the surface. So back to the soft asphalt. It is also easy to cut with the front tires, turning sharp. Also easy to burn a mark sitting there turning the wheel. Turn off 4wd and never move the wheel unless you have started moving. I see that boo-boo now and again. Drive it like it has no power steering.

  2. #2crane operator2025-04-04 21:07

    But that only works, if the guy behind the wheel has actually ever driven anything with no power steering. There's not many left. I can't believe the number of people that have never seen crank windows in a pickup.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2025-04-04 22:20

    "Set the choke, it'll fire right up!" Always good for a "deer in the headlights look".....lol Ed

  4. #4skyking12025-04-04 22:29

    Mags off, pull it through 3 blades.........

  5. #5bondjaydubayoo2025-04-05 01:24

    I just take pride in my work. If the work is slow and we are doing 10 miles per hour in a 65 mile per hour zone, just not sure that's where I want to be. Hard to put into words my level of experience because I ve always been about letting my work speak for itself but when the work is not put in front of me it's hard to do. I understand not exploding my ego and never letting any emotion get too high or too low, but a certain amount of pride is a good thing and I can't be convinced otherwise. But I get what you mean by becoming too prideful. Plus I am coming here because I need to talk about this and I can't tell these sensitive guys because they will take it personally. Simple as that. Also outriggers are padded, an do way less damage then the bucket sliding. Don't feel you fully addressed the angle of leverage and additional force added when fully extended

  6. #6Shimmy12025-04-05 21:21

    I can't think of a reason to jack a backhoe clear up on the pads except if you need to for clearance. If the digging process is requiring so much effort that you are sliding the hoe around, you either need a smaller bucket, a ripper, breaker, or something to anchor to.