Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backhoe tire chains?

lmm600 ยท 2017-02-05 15:40

Hopefully someone can offer advice on putting tire chains on a Cat 420e IT 4x4. I've had folks tell me chain up all four tires and some have said to just put front chains on. What would be the better option for snow and ice, moving snow? The machine gets around pretty good without chains but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a little more traction especially on hills. Any advice? Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1Billrog2017-02-05 15:49

    I've had backhoes with chains just on the back as well as just on the front. With 4wd I prefer them on the front because their much easier to take on and off as needed as well as pack around.

  2. #2hookedondiesel2017-02-06 05:42

    I have them on the back of my 4x4, big difference with them on. If I get myself too far in a snow bank etc, going forward, the rear chains are still in the clear and pull me out without issues. I also have my R4 rear tires in the reversed thread direction. Backing up a steep inclined hill is also no problem with them on in winter.